Mall of America - Bloomington

Twin Cities Suburbs
Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Re: Mall of America - Bloomington

Postby Wedgeguy » October 1st, 2015, 4:34 pm

They don't break out how much of that 2 M SF of IIC is not the suites hotel. So they still could get a Bass Pro shop,(northwest parking lot) and possibly a skating rink in front of that store. I have to believe that with 2 M SF, that at least one if not both surface parking lots fronting American Boulevard will be part of the eventual retail expansion in the IIC phase.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » October 1st, 2015, 9:32 pm

I was in Iceland a few weeks ago and a waitress said she was coming to Minneapolis for a week, but she wasn't sure if that was enough time to see the whole Mall of America.

FrankonFranklinAve
Block E

Postby FrankonFranklinAve » October 1st, 2015, 11:13 pm

What struck me as weird when I went to check out the newest addition was all the parking and landscape work done on land they already planned to build over the next year. Why bother?
Agreed. But it may have been a Bloomington requirement. Especially if they didn't think they were going to build IIB for a while. I guess economics must be good.

The Biz Journal article mentions that the MOA also discussed the final IIC phase. On that detailed layout, the only IIC mention is another hotel. So I was confused if any of those other surface parking lots they show will be space used later, or just left that way. I suppose time will tell. But it really seemed odd that they weren't going to add a connection to IKEA. Nor does it seem as though they plan an indoor ice rink (maybe that's a moot point now with St. Paul? - but one would tell me tourists would use it). I also found it odd that there's no mention of the waterpark either. There are so many hotels going up around MOA. If they're going to venture into adding more - I would have expected it to cater to a clientele that was unique. I guess I'm not in the know.
I also really thought a Bass Pro Shop would be a perfect addition to the mall. Especially given the push for these "high end" retail destinations. Give the husbands of all those shopping ladies a place to play too. Is that sexists?
There is a water park right next door. For guests, I'm sure hotels will have free shuttles. While us locals will be expected to bum a ride of our own. It seems logical they could push the waterpark idea onto the back burner or at least the later part of phase 2. Long term they will want to capture those revenue dollars. For now they will get by. I agree about the Ikea connection. Maybe it's not mentioned cause Ikea has to work with the Mall to pay for it. Which in that case it might come pop up shortly after 2018 or something. At least they will have a decent at grade street crossing to Ikea. I think they have a good plan going. I bet the 2nd part is where Bass Pro Shop and other entertainment venues will come forward.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 2nd, 2015, 7:23 am

I thought Triple Five had bought the hotel with the water Park??

I have to agree that an Ikea Skyway would be an expensive proposition. Not sure they are going to want to pay for it. Triple Five will not give any money, as it will not really help them. Also a skyway to a DYI store going into their high end luxury corridor is probably not that kosher for them either. I think people can handle walking a block to Ikea at ground level. Might be better money spent if Ikea were to over haul their entry area to accommodate those entering from the mall across the street at street, instead of an expensive skyway. IMO!

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » October 2nd, 2015, 8:15 am

I think people can handle walking a block to Ikea at ground level.
But winter is coming.

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » October 2nd, 2015, 9:12 am

I think people can handle walking a block to Ikea at ground level.
But winter is coming.
And Ikea Way isn't terrible, but it wouldn't be somewhere that I'd feel completely safe crossing.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 2nd, 2015, 10:02 am

There are stop sign a few places on Ikea Way. No matter if it is winter or not, Ikea is not going to shell out a few million for a block + long skyway.

fehler
Rice Park

Postby fehler » October 2nd, 2015, 11:29 am

The Ikea Way is to construct a skyway out of particle board and hex bolts for $39.95.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » October 2nd, 2015, 12:47 pm

There are stop sign a few places on Ikea Way. No matter if it is winter or not, Ikea is not going to shell out a few million for a block + long skyway.
A long skyway has always been a part of the long-term plans. I can't imagine either would hesitate to spend the money, if it makes sense. I think IKEA connected over IKEA Way, to the hotel, will eventually happen. But it's not a big deal either way. I rarely want to go to MOA when I visit IKEA and vice versa.

Drizzay
Metrodome

Postby Drizzay » October 2nd, 2015, 1:48 pm

I personally can't wait for those people, who purchased a full bedroom set and kitchen table at Ikea, to wheel their 10+ boxes through the Mall to get back to their car they left parked in the Radisson Blue parking ramp. :D

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » October 2nd, 2015, 2:26 pm

10 years ago I had to carry a bookcase from the IKEA to the train and then on to the 16 to get it to my dorm. That was rough.

Sent from my phone

Malladmirer
Block E

Postby Malladmirer » October 5th, 2015, 8:37 am

I hope they add the pro bass store to the mall. They need something else for the men. About Ikea, I could care less about the sky way. I notice they are going to be adding about 580,000 square feet. I know they are talking about adding a lot more high end stores. Why don't they use some of the space for other attractions. You want to draw people in. A fountain show would be nice where the statues come to life. A little free entertainment would be nice too . A concert hall would also be nice. I think a water park would be nice and not just the little one down the road. I think a ski mountain or a skating rink would be nice.

Just throwing thoughts out. I think adding on will definitely help our state and I love the MOA. I like the pictures of the Mall proposal add ons. It looks cool.

Matt :geek:

Malladmirer
Block E

Postby Malladmirer » October 5th, 2015, 1:32 pm

I like the pics on the new proposals, but I see that they are adding 580,000 square feet for up scale retail. You would think that some of that space could be used for some kind of entertainment, like the fountain show that they have in Las Vagas. A little free entertainment would be nice. A concert hall would be wonderful. The skating rink would be so fab. A giant water park would be great, not like the little one down the road. A ski mountain would be cool. You want to bring people to the mall.

Forget about Ikea and their sky way. People can always walk or drive. It would be nice to have the Pro Bass, another store for men. It would be a good anchor.

I think the add on is a great thing for MN. I love the MOA.

Matt

trigonalmayhem

Postby trigonalmayhem » October 6th, 2015, 8:42 am

I've carried stuff from Ikea through the mall back to the light rail station. I regretted it.

But on another note I like the idea of them including housing in the next expansion of the mall so it can come closer to becoming a real life arcology from simcity.

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » October 6th, 2015, 9:04 am

That's what I assume they bought the property across from the East Ramp for, to build some kind of housing development if the investments around the rest of South Loop pay off.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 6th, 2015, 9:10 am

That's what I assume they bought the property across from the East Ramp for, to build some kind of housing development if the investments around the rest of South Loop pay off.
To the best of my knowledge the area east of MOA which is under the restricted flight area can't have hosing or motels/hotels. Think is to more industrial and parking.

trigonalmayhem

Postby trigonalmayhem » October 6th, 2015, 10:02 am

I swear I just saw a story about the next expansion including a little over a hundred housing units plus another hotel.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » October 6th, 2015, 10:15 am

To the best of my knowledge the area east of MOA which is under the restricted flight area can't have hosing or motels/hotels. Think is to more industrial and parking.
According to the City of Bloomington's South Loop Plan, specifically on pages 66-72, "innovation" or high-tech type manufacturing are preferred: https://www.bloomingtonmn.gov/sites/def ... 20Plan.pdf

They go further to state: This designation provides for flexible, high-tech fabrication and research-oriented uses that may include integrated office uses. Pure office uses, commercial services, and restaurants are also allowed. Residential uses are not allowed, although may be appropriate on adjacent properties if adequate buffering is provided.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » October 6th, 2015, 10:17 am

I swear I just saw a story about the next expansion including a little over a hundred housing units plus another hotel.
That's correct, for the expansion north of the MOA, with the hotel that will be adjacent to IKEA. Not for the land east of the current MOA.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » October 7th, 2015, 3:33 pm

Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville opening restaurant at Mall of America
http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... erica.html

Joining the 3rd floor's east restaurant row, near the relocated Rainforest Cafe and the new Crayola Experience.