Pioneer Endicott Building - (141 East Fourth Street)

The Most Livable City in America™
spectre000
Landmark Center

Pioneer Endicott Building - (141 East Fourth Street)

Postby spectre000 » June 14th, 2012, 7:15 pm

Pak Properties is planning to convert these buildings to apartments and commercial space. The buildings will consist of 234 apartments and 36,000 square feet of commercial space. The project is about to go before the City Council in hopes of securing a tax increment financing plan for the $46.6 million project. The parking ramp along Jackson Street has recently finished renovation and is now open.

The Minnesota Museum of American Art plans to occupy the commercial space.
http://www.startribune.com/entertainmen ... 07125.html

"The Minnesota Museum of American Art plans to partially re-open in October in downtown St. Paul after having been closed for the past three years.

Its new quarters will be a small suite of galleries on the street level of the historic Pioneer Endicott building at 141 E. 4th St. Museum officials are negotiating to lease the space from a St. Paul developer who bought the structure in 2011.

"The writing is on the wall," said museum director Kristin Makholm. "I don't think we can sustain a museum without walls. People want a place they can go to see the collection."

Plans call for the museum to be an anchor tenant in the building, which developer Rich Pakonen intends to convert into high-end residences..."

Nick
Capella Tower

Re: Pioneer Endicott Building

Postby Nick » June 14th, 2012, 7:24 pm

Gorgeous building. Can't see St. Paul needing more subsidized commercial space though.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

spectre000
Landmark Center

Postby spectre000 » June 14th, 2012, 7:50 pm

Here's photo of the atrium. I love the spiral staircase.

Pioneer Press / Endicott Building Atrium by Dan_H, on Flickr

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » June 14th, 2012, 10:42 pm

Walk thru the building twice today. There is some yellow tape up to restict access, but the atrium is=way so dark, but theis was when the rain was really heavy and the clouds dark. I hate thier beige paint. I really hope the do an above average reuse of this gem!!

THERAT
Metrodome

Postby THERAT » June 15th, 2012, 11:03 am

Glad to see progress on the Pioneer and Endicott along with the arcade. Cass Gilbert designed the Endicott. Great glass work in the arcade. Should be a good fit for MMAA. The conversion of some of these great buildings of commerce to apartments continues to take class B and C office space off the market. While sad in a way, its better to have these buildings occupied again then sitting vacant.

spectre000
Landmark Center

Postby spectre000 » June 25th, 2012, 3:43 pm

651 Talk: Kristin Makholm of the Minnesota Museum of American Art
by Kate Iverson on Jun.23, 2012, under Arts & Culture

http://the651.com/651-talk-kristin-makh ... erican-art

"For the past few years, St. Paul has been mourning the loss of its only fine art museum, the Minnesota Museum of American Art (MMAA). The museum, which lost its physical space when the city reclaimed the riverfront property in 2009, chose not to simply drift away, instead opting to maintain creative programming outside the “box” of a brick and mortar location. They produced satellite exhibitions at various galleries, facilitated arts education through artist talks and other programming, continued fundraising, and perhaps most importantly, they remained engaged with their community throughout. So, it came as a happy, yet inevitable surprise when the MMAA announced plans for a new physical space within Downtown St. Paul’s historic Pioneer-Endicott Building at 141 E. 4th Street, which is scheduled to open to the public by October.

We chatted with the MMAA’s director and most stalwart champion, Kristin Makholm, about the new plans and upcoming programming (hint: Patio nights WILL return!)...."

garfield
City Center

Postby garfield » June 25th, 2012, 10:47 pm

Pakonen was also the developer of the Produce Exchange Lofts. My wife purchased one of these lofts before we are married (which we arae still stuck with because it is worth about 20% of what we owe...but that's another story). It is one of the cheapest, poorly converted buildings I have seen. Cheap materials. Lousy mechanicals. Terrible windows. I think the original conversion of the Produce Exchange was only about ten years ago, and the building is actually quite blighted now.

I'm hoping the Pioneer building is a better project...but I'm not overly optimistic.

spectre000
Landmark Center

Postby spectre000 » July 11th, 2012, 8:12 pm

They've begun assembling scaffolding on the 4th Street side in front of the Endicott Building.

Rico
City Center

Postby Rico » September 22nd, 2012, 7:47 pm

Here is an official post from Crowe on the construction start...

http://onsite.croweconstructionmgmt.com/?p=202

spectre000
Landmark Center

Postby spectre000 » December 6th, 2012, 4:06 pm

http://www.startribune.com/entertainmen ... y#continue

"A museum is reborn"
Article by: MARY ABBE , Star Tribune

"Hearing the revelers crow, you'd think a new day had dawned with the opening Saturday night of the Minnesota Museum of American Art's new Project Space in downtown St. Paul.

And perhaps it has. With its white walls, pale floors and big windows overlooking a soon-to-be inaugurated light-rail line through the capital city, the Project Space has a come-hither appeal that had drivers waving as they passed. Colorful paintings by Minnesota artists line the walls and, on opening night, a jazz combo played as about 300 arts patrons marveled that the museum, dark for the past four years, was back in business.

"I am so excited to be here tonight," said Joe Spencer, St. Paul's arts liaison, welcoming the crowd on behalf of St. Paul Mayor Chris Coleman, who was at a conference on the East Coast. "Rest assured that this is a project, a place and an institution that is very important to Mayor Coleman."

The museum's new site on the ground floor of the historic Pioneer-Endicott building is still a "work in progress," said director Kristin Makholm. It will be open just two more nights in December (Dec. 7 and 14) but starting in January it will be open 20 hours a week.

The MMAA has a two-year lease during which it will mount small exhibitions and stage events in the 3,500-square-foot space. Simultaneously it will figure out whether the space meets its needs and try to raise enough money to consolidate its operations and expand its four-person staff. The museum's offices are several blocks away, and its 4,000-piece collection of paintings, sculpture and crafts is stored at a third location..."

twincitizen

Re: Pioneer Endicott Building - (141 East Fourth Street)

Postby twincitizen » March 2nd, 2013, 9:07 pm

A few photos, courtesy of MSP Biz Journal: http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... eshow.html

mulad

Postby mulad » April 14th, 2013, 12:25 pm

The PiPress covers the building(s): http://www.twincities.com/ci_23015505/

They mention rents will range from $860 for a studio to about $2000 for a 2br, 2ba upper-floor unit.

nickmgray
Union Depot

Postby nickmgray » April 17th, 2013, 3:15 pm

Those rental prices seem to be a bit high for Saint Paul, but this would definitely be the building at the top of my list if I was looking to more to downtown. can't wait to see what the units looks like once they are finished. While downtown Saint Paul may be a dead zone for business, it could turn into a great residential downtown. What the area needs now is small retail which caters to downtown residents in order to keep the cycle going.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » July 8th, 2013, 7:18 am

mulad

Postby mulad » May 27th, 2014, 12:27 pm

There has still been a lot of work going on in this building, cleaning up the ground floor and skyway levels, and probably other areas. Revival Wine Beer and Spirits opened in the skyway level a week or two ago:

http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/ta ... 53231.html

mulad

Postby mulad » June 9th, 2014, 4:58 pm

Half of the main entrance's revolving door had been ripped out when I went through here today. I suspect they'll just replace it with regular doors. (What's the point of a revolving door in the inner set of doors in the double-layer sets we have around MN, anyway?)

ndokken
City Center

Postby ndokken » June 13th, 2014, 8:44 am

I know somebody that has moved into the building last month and he's not happy at all with how things are moving at a glacial pace there. He was promised they would have some type of grill on the top floor of the parking garage, to which hasn't been done and there's no updates as to when that would be available. He was also told there was going to be an extra cabinet in his studio, to which has yet to be installed. The grainte counter top had a chip in it, and they "fixed it" yesterday by sanding it down which makes the countertop look like S**t and utterly ruined. He also doesn't have blinds for the two huge windows in his apartment which causes his air conditioner to run constantly and was promised they would be installed a few weeks after he moved on May 1st...again no updates as to when. The building lacks carts from the parking garage to the units...so if you have a few bags of groceries it kind of sucks having to walk a mile into your apartment without a cart. They've also done nothing to plant flowers on the outside, and the little 'doggy corner" by the parking garage was filled with rocks and broken glass.

When I helped him moved in, it was a complete joke. They promised we had the elevator for a block of two hours, but then four other people were moving in at the same time. And of course, they had no carts available to help move all of the small stuff, so that was fun walking a mile just to get into the apartment within the building.

at40man
Rice Park

Postby at40man » June 13th, 2014, 9:35 am

Such a dignified and historic building deserves better management. It sounds like they have a real fiasco on their hands, and the management's response is to deceive residents and post fake reviews to boost their star ratings on Google, rather than fix problems. Pathetic.

http://www.apartments.com/Minnesota/St- ... tt/1100293

While this is the most egregious case I have seen, it is one of the reasons I am glad to no longer be a renter.

ndokken
City Center

Postby ndokken » June 13th, 2014, 2:03 pm

Such a dignified and historic building deserves better management. It sounds like they have a real fiasco on their hands, and the management's response is to deceive residents and post fake reviews to boost their star ratings on Google, rather than fix problems. Pathetic.

http://www.apartments.com/Minnesota/St- ... tt/1100293

While this is the most egregious case I have seen, it is one of the reasons I am glad to no longer be a renter.
Yeah it does deserve better treatment than that. My friend had also talked to another resident two weeks ago when he was walking his dog and she filed a complaint to the BBB for all of their broken promises. As a result she couldn't deal with it anymore and was able to terminate her lease as a result.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 17th, 2014, 7:59 pm

Does anyone know if the Arcade will ever be reopened. Went to walk through there today and signs still say that it is closed.