Allianz Field and Snelling-Midway Development

The Most Livable City in America™
MNdible
is great.

Re: Major League Soccer Stadium in Minnesota

Postby MNdible » October 24th, 2015, 9:36 am

So, where is this parking that they think people are going to be walking from? The ABC ramps?

nate
Landmark Center

Postby nate » October 24th, 2015, 9:57 am

Seems like satellite lots with shuttle buses will need to be a major part of the solution,

BigIdeasGuy
Union Depot

Postby BigIdeasGuy » October 24th, 2015, 10:51 am

There are a ton of parking spaces between Snelling and Lexington. I think Northern Pitch estimated over 4,000 at one point. The state fair lots would be a very logical choice for a satellite parking lots.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » October 24th, 2015, 1:29 pm

The state fair lots are difficult, because they're also used by the U's Saint Paul campus.

matt91486
Nicollet Mall

Postby matt91486 » October 25th, 2015, 10:47 am

The state fair lots are difficult, because they're also used by the U's Saint Paul campus.
That would only matter in any substantive way during the school year, and if games are usually on weekends and evenings, I think it won't be too complicated.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » October 25th, 2015, 10:58 am

The season is March-October (overlapping March-May, September-October) and more than a few games happen on weekdays. I'm not saying it's an insurmountable problem, but it definitely wouldn't be nothing.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » October 25th, 2015, 11:48 am

In any case, nobody's walking from the State Fair lots, which is what the good doctor was suggesting. Also, the shuttles will still have to navigate through the Snelling-University intersection, which (as we've discussed previously) will be a first-rate shit show on game days.

I've seen the 4,000 parking space number bandied about before, but I'm assuming this includes the parking lots of the active retailers in the area who are unlikely to give up their parking lots for a Saturday afternoon game.

My guess is that they're going to need to build at least 2,000 new parking spaces in the area. Hopefully, they'll be able to do this in partnership with the major office project they're fishing for.

trigonalmayhem

Postby trigonalmayhem » October 25th, 2015, 12:22 pm

Oh boy I can't wait for more publicly subsidized (or straight up funded) urban parking structures!

Because you know there's no way they'll pay for it all privately when parking is one of the easiest things to get public money for.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » October 25th, 2015, 2:46 pm

I've seen the 4,000 parking space number bandied about before, but I'm assuming this includes the parking lots of the active retailers in the area who are unlikely to give up their parking lots for a Saturday afternoon game.
I don't think so. I read the article a while back, but you can see the whole thing here: http://northernpitch.com/_/minnesota-so ... -work-r476

Here's how the section on parking starts.
After careful research of the area by walking, driving and using tools like Google Earth, there appear to be almost 4,000 underutilized parking spots within one half mile in each direction of the University and Snelling interchange. All of these spots are entirely empty on weekends and mostly empty on weekdays after 5:30 p.m. Using a conservative ratio of 2.5 fans per car (most teams use 3:1), there is enough parking for 10,000 fans. This number excludes any street parking or any potential park and ride options using the State Fairgrounds.
There's more after that. It's obviously speculative, because the basis of the idea is that private lots would sell their parking spots, and I think it's implied that some sort of parking structure will be needed. But if I recall, to redevelop this area in any truly urban way would also require some sort of structure parking to make up for the loss of all the surface lots anyway.

That said, it's kind of hard to really discuss the merits of new structured parking right now because the Pohlads clearly have plans for the area that go well beyond the stadium.

Minnehahaha
Nicollet Mall

Postby Minnehahaha » October 25th, 2015, 7:09 pm

I'd have something to say about this article, but I have to go join my neighbors huddled around the burning trash barrel.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2015/10/2 ... r-stadium/

UrbWave
City Center

Postby UrbWave » October 26th, 2015, 9:48 am

Can we move this thread back to St.Paul? Thanks!

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » October 26th, 2015, 10:12 am

Does anyone remember when Zigmund Wilf had stadium deals with Anoka County and then Ramsey County?

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » October 26th, 2015, 10:52 am

No, but I remember when Adrian Peterson broke off a 75-yard run yesterday!

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » October 26th, 2015, 10:57 am

All the wannabe running backs will be drinking chaw juice now.

cooperrez
Landmark Center

Postby cooperrez » October 26th, 2015, 6:35 pm

Peter Callaghan tweeted this today. Seems we're just setting our team up for mediocrity. Would be really interested to know what kind of number McGuire meant with "expandable."

Check out @CallaghanPeter's Tweet: https://twitter.com/CallaghanPeter/stat ... 23424?s=09

cooperrez
Landmark Center

Postby cooperrez » October 26th, 2015, 7:00 pm

My two cents on the stadium, I'm happy progress is being made on MNUFC's MLS expansion, but a little bummed a downtown or near downtown location wasn't achievable. I like the transit options serving the midway spot, will only take me 10 to 15 mins by bus. But I'm afraid the atmosphere will feel too suburban and bland if the development isn't done right. The environment around CHS Field was more of what I had hoped for. I fear we're going to end up with a 2nd rate experience. I hope I'm proven wrong.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » October 26th, 2015, 7:05 pm

I assume they're deliberately setting the stadium size on the low side, in order to create some artificial scarcity while they get themselves established, knowing that they've got the ability to expand in their back pocket.

Either that or they're not convinced that Minnesotans are ready to watch 0-0 draws decided by somebody taking a penalty shot after a horrible dive.

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

cooperrez
Landmark Center

Postby cooperrez » October 26th, 2015, 7:30 pm

I'm sure the ownership team is well aware there are more than enough people in the state, not just metro area, who can truly appreciate the finer points and beauty of a soccer match to fill up their stadium. There are no doubts about that.

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Postby Tiller » October 27th, 2015, 5:12 am

Even 20k in a state of 5 million is pushing it. Does anyone really think 0.37% of Minnesotans know what soccer is, much less want to watch some stupid Europoor sport live? We live in America, not commiefornia. (/sarcasm, just to be safe)

I'd love to hear how expandable they'd like to make it, though.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 27th, 2015, 6:29 am

The the number of youth soccer programs there s]are in the state, I think a few kids will drag there parent to games. We also have a decent sized immigrant population that is into the sport, Hmong, Latino, Somali, and others. This will be more of a multicultural crowd than the WASPs of our football crowd.