AC Marriott Hotel - 401 Hennepin Ave (Andrews Hotel site)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Tyler
Foshay Tower

Re: AC Marriott Hotel (401 Hennepin Ave / Andrews Hotel site

Postby Tyler » July 29th, 2015, 11:36 am

AC Motel Minneapolis
Towns!

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » August 26th, 2015, 6:30 am

Tower crane going up this morning.

twinkess
Target Field

Postby twinkess » August 26th, 2015, 8:02 am

Also looks like they've made progress on the electrical vault?

Silophant

Postby Silophant » August 26th, 2015, 7:51 pm

Yep. I was hoping to go over and watch them put the transformer and stuff in, but it looks like they've already done that and put the top on. Or, maybe they're going to take the cover slab off later and install it. Distribution works in mysterious ways.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 26th, 2015, 8:28 pm

ImageDSC_1275 by grant.simons, on Flickr

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 7th, 2015, 6:29 pm

There looks like a lot of very tall columns for this building. Either there is a mezzanine level or one tall ground floor. Looks like they have about 10 more ground floor columns to pour and then we start the march upward. Is this another metal framed building like the Hampton Inn??

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » October 30th, 2015, 8:31 am

The owner hasn't followed through on their much talked about updates to the inside or outside. But they have made improvements (albeit not nearly enough) to the inside. The upstairs back lounge has held up nicely from the redo several years ago (I was there Friday night). The LaFemme Lounge (where the drag show takes place) does well and the stage is good. The downstairs main dance floor has had a recent update as well. It looks a lot better than it has in 20 years. But, I wish they'd do more, as I think we all do. It's pretty clear that the place makes money - so the owners may not feel it necessary to invest. Hard to say. But if there's a line every weekend, of people willing to pay a cover, the show will go on - whether the inside is shitty or not.

It wouldn't be the end of the world if they changed themes or closed, as I think another bar with a drag review would open elsewhere. But whether it's gay owned or not, the 90s is host to the largest drag review in the Midwest.

But this is very off-topic.
I do think that the new AC Marriott will change the dynamics of this intersection a lot. Much the way that Nic on 5th, Marq4 and the new Xcel HQ are changing things a block east.
I guess all the Ladies of La Femme walked out for good yesterday. Wasn't there a thread for the 90s?
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » October 30th, 2015, 9:30 am

I guess all the Ladies of La Femme walked out for good yesterday. Wasn't there a thread for the 90s?
Or Anything Goes. How does this have anything remotely to do with the AC?

topher hoefer
Block E

Postby topher hoefer » October 30th, 2015, 11:37 am

The gradual decline (Which seems to have reached tipping point) of the 90s is relevent because every hotel room looking out over hennepin will be facing a building in disrepair. With LaFemme out of the picture, the 90s is no longer going to be financially viable, meaning this hotel may have a new neighbor sooner than later. While I wish someone would swoop in and buy the 90s and make it great again, but we may have to start thinking about what sort of character this end of Hennepin will have once it's full of cookie-cutter brewhouses from Chicago. (Yes, I know that's going into MC2, but you get my point)

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » October 30th, 2015, 1:31 pm

I think this is on topic... The 90's has been around since I was - well it's been around a long time and I remember in the early 80's they talked about renovations... only little ones occurred and the building itself has been grossly neglected. That neighborhood is changing and it may be time for the 90's to either relocate or close... it hasn't really had great management for decades. The land under it is going to be worth much more than the building. Hate to see it go - there was so much history made there!

I suspect that all of those black along Hennepin are either going to close/be torn down or renovated as part of a much larger development with all new tenants...

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » October 30th, 2015, 1:36 pm

I'd say best case scenario is something like what is happening to Sexworld. A developer comes in to renovate/build out that property with new tenants in the prime spots along Hennepin, but the 90's gets the opportunity to downsize and move back into the interior of the warehouse entertainment district.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 30th, 2015, 2:26 pm

I'd say best case scenario is something like what is happening to Sexworld. A developer comes in to renovate/build out that property with new tenants in the prime spots along Hennepin, but the 90's gets the opportunity to downsize and move back into the interior of the warehouse entertainment district.
I'd have to agree with you. Since the internet, gay bars are not as popular to meet people as they were in the 80's when the Bloom family tried to get a few historic tax credits from the building with some Terra Cotta cleaning. They did do some interior work, but it was limited pretty much to the ground floor area. Mostly the wear and tear items. It has been 12 years since I last set foot in the place. At that time a weekend, at 10 pm the place was very empty. The crowds are no longer there in the earlier part of the night. Heard that the La Femme show basically got feed up with them and quit. That was one of the few draws that the place had that you could not find elsewhere in town. I think the current owners bought it more for the redevelopment value than to try and get rich off the business. They are just milking what profits they get out of the place and not reinvesting back in.
Eventually the building will be resold, with a new business going into it that can open the windows and make use of the second floor and possible roof top patio. Will have to be a full blown renovation with top to bottom replacement of everything, new electrical, HVAC, plumbing, etc. The build still has location, location, location written all over it. Close to the central business district, the Warehouse district entertainment area, and most important it is on Hennepin Avenue which is making a comeback one empty lot/vacant store front at a time. Hopefully the AC Marriott being built will speed that up a few years.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » October 30th, 2015, 2:27 pm

The Gay 90s has a grandfathered liquor license that lets them stay open until 3, I imagine that has to be worth something if/when the business goes up for sale.

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Postby mplser » October 30th, 2015, 2:32 pm

wait the 90's is open until 3? why have I not been going there after bar close??? I guess you'll see me there having a drink at 2:30 tonight!

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » October 30th, 2015, 2:35 pm

It was like 5 years ago but I was there for a birthday party, and as I'm an eternally old man, eagerly awaiting 2 AM so I could go home and go to sleep. Then lo and behold, 2 came, and we were instead ushered to the main bar area where they continued serving until 3!

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » October 30th, 2015, 3:07 pm

RE: the 90s...Sounds like the Ladies of La Femme....and the show manager Nina D'angelo, are departing and basically taking the show with them. Officially no more reason to go to that dump! Used to be a fun place and great drag....but it has been run into the ground for years now by someone who doesn't care about the LGBT community at all. Really hope the ladies find a new permanent home for what was a great show! Not to mention to foster new talent, as the 90s used to. I feel like this is the beginning of the end for that place.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 30th, 2015, 3:25 pm

RE: the 90s...Sounds like the Ladies of La Femme....and the show manager Nina D'angelo, are departing and basically taking the show with them. Officially no more reason to go to that dump! Used to be a fun place and great drag....but it has been run into the ground for years now by someone who doesn't care about the LGBT community at all. Really hope the ladies find a new permanent home for what was a great show! Not to mention to foster new talent, as the 90s used to. I feel like this is the beginning of the end for that place.
Losing the show might be the writing in the wall that they are trying to get the bar to close. They can say, "we are not making enough money", so that they can close and do a major renovation, but open again with a new concept that is not gay.

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » October 30th, 2015, 10:33 pm

Is everyone on this forum gay? I thought it was just me out here!

Matthew
Block E

Postby Matthew » October 30th, 2015, 10:43 pm

No, there are dozens of us. Dozens!

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 30th, 2015, 10:52 pm

Some gays are into fashion, but some of us are into architecture and development instead!!