Mayo Clinic Square

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Re: Mayo Clinic Square

Postby Wedgeguy » October 7th, 2015, 10:31 am

My goodness. Restaurant and office build-outs don't happen in a day, and even though the announcements have all been made that doesn't mean they're ready to start. There are building permits, ordering materials, getting them delivered, lining up multiple contractors, scheduling multiple contractors.... Any perceived delay certainly doesn't mean the entire City Works team has decided to take a collective vacation.
Mayo and the T-wolves/Lynx have been on board for how long? Seems that all that interest in the ground floor/skyway was BS. One new tenant on the ground floor and the skyway does not look very promising with the main anchors that they had signed for the upper levels. Not even any rumors of others looking to get into the complex.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » October 7th, 2015, 11:17 am

It's downtown retail... just put a fork in it and do your shopping in the suburbs. Outside of the BS coming from the urbanite echo chamber suburban retail centers aren't dying. Take a stroll down Hennepin and Nicollet and count the empty storefronts, heck even check the skyway system outside of the buildings adjoining IDS. Then get in your car and drive to any of the 'dales and stop at a strip mall. The difference is night and day.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » October 7th, 2015, 11:58 am

Mayo and the T-wolves/Lynx have been on board for how long? Seems that all that interest in the ground floor/skyway was BS. One new tenant on the ground floor and the skyway does not look very promising with the main anchors that they had signed for the upper levels. Not even any rumors of others looking to get into the complex.
Honestly... So what? Before the renovation happened, the building contained a hotel/bar, coffee shop, sub shop, two bars, and 3.5 floors of empty space. Now we've got... a hotel/bar, coffee shop, sub shop, two bars, an office, and 1 floor of empty space. Obviously, it would be better if it filled up completely, but if it stays like this for a while, it's still an improvement over what was there.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » October 7th, 2015, 12:29 pm

Honestly... So what? Before the renovation happened, the building contained a hotel/bar, coffee shop, sub shop, two bars, and 3.5 floors of empty space. Now we've got... a hotel/bar, coffee shop, sub shop, two bars, an office, and 1 floor of empty space. Obviously, it would be better if it filled up completely, but if it stays like this for a while, it's still an improvement over what was there.
Well, keep in mind that a lot of the places that remained in there before the reno were kind of kicked out...Applebees, Mrs. Fields, the mexican food place, the game store, supposedly Hard Rock...though some probably had insanely cheap leases, and most of the skyway level places weren't really big losses....The movie theater was technically kicked out, but they basically weren't paying rent because of their lease terms. Border's closed because the company went away, and Game Works was much the same...and I don't think the owner even really tried to lease those spaces again. Point is, the place wasn't empty all on it's own...It had help. I think if the owner had gone about the renovation differently and not entirely cleared out the tenants that remained we could be better off. I totally think a movie theater in some form could have remained (upgraded to like the west end, and I am sure they could have found a company to manage it had they tried...now who knows how long until we have a theater downtown again), the two corner spaces on Hennepin could have easily been leased had they tried,a re-cladding of the exterior and other interior changes could have still been done....and we could have still had a more entertainment themed complex. Oh well, the outside looks amazing now compared to before, so at least there is that!

Silophant

Postby Silophant » October 7th, 2015, 12:34 pm

That's true, I had forgotten that the other tenants didn't really leave on their own.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

robotlollipop
Metrodome

Postby robotlollipop » October 7th, 2015, 1:06 pm

I don't think it matters how/why the businesses left, the perception was that everything there was failing. The building looks much better but it's still the same building, people are going to be hesitant to throw money into it without seeing other buisinesses succeed.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » October 7th, 2015, 1:30 pm

Outside of the BS coming from the urbanite echo chamber suburban retail centers aren't dying.
Oh, they most definitely are, but they are dying at the hands of Amazon, not downtown retail.

And yeah, compare the footprint of those Dales to 20 years ago (10 even) and things do not look so healthy.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » October 7th, 2015, 2:06 pm

Also, there was a gaggle of construction workers sitting in front of the open door on the corner where the new bar is going at lunch time two weeks ago, so yeah, seems like construction is ongoing.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » October 7th, 2015, 2:13 pm

They were also there yesterday

5th Ave Guy
Landmark Center

Postby 5th Ave Guy » October 7th, 2015, 4:25 pm

Maybe they're actually taking their time to fill the spaces up with ideal tenants instead of stuffing a bunch of quick fixes in there.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » October 7th, 2015, 8:06 pm

So they are taking up one half of the Hennepin Avenue retail then?
Not even, according to their map kiosk inside.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » November 3rd, 2015, 4:49 pm

This week they tore up the sidewalk on both sides of the corner where the new restaurant is going. Any one see why they did this? It looks like some was already replaced with new cement today.

twinkess
Target Field

Postby twinkess » November 3rd, 2015, 5:25 pm

If it was anywhere near in as bad shape as the sidewalk on the opposite (Kieran's) corner than it probably needed it.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » November 3rd, 2015, 5:29 pm

Just to clarify, it wasn't a small 5x5 section of the corner. It was a half block. Both directions.

twinkess
Target Field

Postby twinkess » November 3rd, 2015, 6:25 pm

Yeah I saw it too. That is the size of the part that needs to be repaired on the other side.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » November 3rd, 2015, 7:13 pm

Is 7th getting some of those super bus shelters for the buses. I see they finally added a recycled bus shelter to the Hennepin side near that corner.

intercomnut
Rice Park

Postby intercomnut » November 3rd, 2015, 9:20 pm

Is 7th getting some of those super bus shelters for the buses. I see they finally added a recycled bus shelter to the Hennepin side near that corner.
They are. They were supposed to be installed in September, but something happened and now they're not coming until December. Yay.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » November 3rd, 2015, 10:27 pm

I thought they were removing the tree grates/ gardens.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » November 4th, 2015, 9:47 am

Yeah they did take out 2 of the planters so far...and left only a tiny little square that is unpaved around the tree trunks. They were really trying to save those through the renovation, and they came out okay...but I doubt they will survive this second assault well. lol.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » November 18th, 2015, 9:29 pm

Some of the windows were exposed in the City Works side as I passed by today. They're nice and tall and clear!