Downtown Minneapolis - News & General Topics

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
MattW
Rice Park

Re: Downtown Minneapolis General Topics & Development Map

Postby MattW » October 27th, 2015, 9:21 am

I know that the developer is taking the fee (not the city), and that the developer needs to make money. I'm just suggesting that the actual cost to provide this service is negligible, and their 25 cent cut seems excessive. I know it's just a quarter, but it's the principle of the thing.
I feel as if a dead horse is being beat here, but the solution is simple. To avoid the 25c surcharge, use the fancy new credit card accepting boxes that are available. It's not like ticketmaster applying a "convenience fee" when they're the only player in the game, that is gouging.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » October 27th, 2015, 9:39 am

Well, in fact, it's exactly like TicketMaster. You can still go to the box office and buy tickets. But they've negotiated an exclusive contract to provide a convenience type service at a highly inflated cost. It seems insignificant because it's just a quarter, but as a percentage of the underlying transaction, it's an outrageously high fee.

Look, I'll probably use the service from time to time. I'm just pissed the city couldn't negotiate a better deal.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 27th, 2015, 10:55 am

I'll gladly pay a quarter to get an email reminder that I'm about to get a 42 dollar parking ticket... it's not just the cost of the spot per hour, the service could have saved me over 100 dollars last year... for 75 cents.

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » October 27th, 2015, 11:17 am

I'll gladly pay a quarter to get an email reminder that I'm about to get a 42 dollar parking ticket... it's not just the cost of the spot per hour, the service could have saved me over 100 dollars last year... for 75 cents.
You only parked 3 times last year (25c/park) and managed to rack up over $100 in tickets? You should just take a taxi.

:D

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 27th, 2015, 11:29 am

You only parked 3 times last year (25c/park) and managed to rack up over $100 in tickets? You should just take a taxi.

:D
I would feed the meter traditionally at the machine... (no fee)... I parked many times in the last year but only over parked 3 times. At which point I would have gotten a notification. Then spent 25 cents to use the service.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » October 27th, 2015, 11:49 am

Huh? How would the app notify you if you don't use it the pay in the first place?
Towns!

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » October 27th, 2015, 11:53 am

But you do bring up the easy way to double your maximum time limit (which is the worst thing about this app.) Pay at the meter first, and when your time is close to up use the app.

I think we will see a bunch of people who don't understand this get stuck in a show/whatever and not be able to extend because of the time limit.
Towns!

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 27th, 2015, 12:45 pm

Huh? How would the app notify you if you don't use it the pay in the first place?
it could recognize my payment device the same way nice ride does... it's an app with my personal info in an account.

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » October 27th, 2015, 12:59 pm

That is not at all clear that it works that way. I mean it might, but Chicago's doesn't, for instance. You'll get a notification if you use their service that payment trip, but otherwise they won't. Maybe that could be a service you get if you pay the 99 cents per month to be a member.

intercomnut
Rice Park

Postby intercomnut » October 27th, 2015, 7:07 pm

Well, in fact, it's exactly like TicketMaster. You can still go to the box office and buy tickets. But they've negotiated an exclusive contract to provide a convenience type service at a highly inflated cost. It seems insignificant because it's just a quarter, but as a percentage of the underlying transaction, it's an outrageously high fee.

Look, I'll probably use the service from time to time. I'm just pissed the city couldn't negotiate a better deal.
With Ticketmaster, there's usually 1 box office which is open for limited hours and is probably far away. With the meter boxes, you probably have to walk 2 blocks at most and they work 24/7. Even if you walk far away from your car, as long as you're by any pay station you can still pay there. They're not the same at all.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » October 27th, 2015, 7:17 pm

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 29th, 2015, 9:51 am

Read in Preservation magazine that they are looking to update the North Star Blanket sign in the Mills District. They will renovate and upgrade the sign to LED. I like that all of these neat old signs are being brought back into our landscape again. Next I hope will be the Grain Belt Sign next to the Hennepin Ave bridge.

They said a mid October start, but I've seen nothing about it other than Preservation so far.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » October 29th, 2015, 10:00 am

Read in Preservation magazine that they are looking to update the North Star Blanket sign in the Mills District. They will renovate and upgrade the sign to LED. I like that all of these neat old signs are being brought back into our landscape again. Next I hope will be the Grain Belt Sign next to the Hennepin Ave bridge.

They said a mid October start, but I've seen nothing about it other than Preservation so far.
It's been gone for a while. Looking at the Downtown East webcam, it was removed from the building on July 8th.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » November 4th, 2015, 2:47 pm

I was bored earlier and started doing a quick updated map of surface lots that aren't in construction or have something planned for them. Not perfect, and there are lots of sites with buildings that could be redeveloped as well, but I was just wanting to see what's left. Mill City and the CBD are getting pretty close to being surface lot free. Only 5 or 6 full blocks around in the immediate Downtown Area.

*I didn't do the Royalston area, because that's basically all ripe for redevelopment ;)

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » November 4th, 2015, 2:53 pm

Pretty sure there was a proposal for the First Covenant lot next to the stadium.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » November 4th, 2015, 3:20 pm

Nope, just maybe still up for sale. If someone has any news on it that'd be nice.

Gman12
Nicollet Mall

Postby Gman12 » November 4th, 2015, 3:43 pm

Really the only open lots left in the Mill District are across the street from Izzy's and 205 Park Ave, which I have to think Minneapolis will put a RFP out eventually.

martykoessel
Landmark Center

Postby martykoessel » November 4th, 2015, 8:49 pm

Nope, just maybe still up for sale. If someone has any news on it that'd be nice.
As of last March, there was a proposal involving Community Housing Development for 140-150 units of workforce housing in a 5-7 story building on the block. Here's an article from the Strib about it: http://www.startribune.com/near-new-vik ... 296280221/

I don't know if this is still rolling along or not.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » November 4th, 2015, 9:11 pm

Don't forget that big lot east of the Convention Center.

Sacrelicio
Union Depot

Postby Sacrelicio » November 13th, 2015, 12:50 pm

Has anyone seen the plans or a display for the renovation to the 100 Washington plaza? There are some heavy duty barricades up and very limited access to the buildings front door. Looks like the east portion will be done first with the west being done once the east is completed. Hoping for more green space is possible instead of the concrete slabs of the present configuration.
Well, sadly they took out a bunch of green space and some of the only mature trees in this part of town to do this "renovation" that basically replaces them with new grass and small trees. They weren't Ash trees that will die either, it was a nice green space on the north side of the building.
one of my best friends works in the building.

The water proofing under the plaza was failing and needed to be replaced.

They're using this time that they had to dig up the plaza anyways to do an addition.

They are adding a glass curtain wall to the Washington side with a new skyway entrance and what the plan says is street level retail.

They're creating an outdoor seating area and doing some new landscaping.
I worked in that building for a few months on a contract, word was that the tree roots were breaking through into the structure underneath and had to be removed.