Mill City Quarter - 300 South 2nd Street

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Nick
Capella Tower

Mill City Quarter - 300 South 2nd Street

Postby Nick » November 8th, 2012, 5:39 pm

http://www.minneapolismn.gov/meetings/p ... S1P-100569
1. Joint HPC/CPC review - Mill City Quarter - 300 2nd St S & 428 2nd St S (Discussion)

Phase I: New 6-story, mixed use building with ground floor retail and 140 dwelling units.

Phase II: New residential building.
Looks like there's interest in the giant parking lot between the Depot and Riverwest.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

John
Capella Tower

Re: Mill City Quarter - (300 South 2nd Street)

Postby John » November 8th, 2012, 6:00 pm

This will be a great project to fill up this parking lot which is another one of downtown's huge "gaping holes" in its urban fabric. And if it's designed well, it will soften the unattractive and overbearing presence of Riverwest making it much less noticeable. I love the way they refer to phase two as "residential building". Makes you wonder if they might be toying with the idea of a condo development should market conditions be favorable.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » November 8th, 2012, 6:50 pm

I am SO SO SO excited for something to go here. Serious. AH. Finally the Mill district will not be anchored to DT by parking lots.

My thoughts...

Why wouldn't they build the 6 story unit on the 4th st corner of this lot, leaving a potentially larger phase II with a greater potential for a view of the river?

Yay! for more ground floor retail in that area, 3rd is a little bit auto oriented, but with the amount of residential north of Washington now, they need some more 'stuff'

I REALLY hope that the corner of the building catches attention, as to pull activity into the Mill District.

Not tall enough and probably going to be stick, I know, but this really REALLY needs something.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » November 8th, 2012, 6:54 pm

Also I hope they keep the diagonal potential bike/pedestrian corridor open to the river under 1st st south. that would be a cool little greenway.

based on the property lines... would they have to, is there something in their neighborhood plan?

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » November 8th, 2012, 7:03 pm

I think the corner of 3rd Ave would be a great site for more of a high rise building. A taller building would work well aesthetically with The Carlyle and allow for great river views. This has great potential to be a very attractive project. :) Anyone know who the developer is? That knowledge could give us some clues on how this project may unfold. Hey, maybe we can get Magellan to build here! :D

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » November 8th, 2012, 7:48 pm

I like the description for Phase II: "a new residential building"......as if it was remarkably different from Phase I.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » November 8th, 2012, 10:22 pm

I like the description for Phase II: "a new residential building"......as if it was remarkably different from Phase I.
I think it does allude to keeping their options open on what Phase 2 will be. And yes, I think they may be planning something quite different from Phase 1.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » November 8th, 2012, 11:15 pm

I think it does allude to keeping their options open on what Phase 2 will be. And yes, I think they may be planning something quite different from Phase 1.
Clearly it tickles me more than others!

gahwi003
Metrodome

Postby gahwi003 » November 8th, 2012, 11:43 pm

I too can deduce the reasoning for leaving Phase II "up in the air". I wouldn't be shocked to see something over 400ft on Phase II if the market permits. This seems like the only way to achieve river views due to Riverwest. I'd like to see another condo high-rise similar to "sleekness" of Magellan's 1368!!! (Who wouldn't?)

On a side note, this segment of 2nd St NEEDS some street level storefront!!!

sushisimo
Landmark Center

Postby sushisimo » November 8th, 2012, 11:56 pm

Also I hope they keep the diagonal potential bike/pedestrian corridor open to the river under 1st st south. that would be a cool little greenway.
Total agreement.

Downtowner
Block E

Postby Downtowner » November 9th, 2012, 12:07 am

Here's a project summary found in another city doc regarding grant applications from back in late July... seems plans may have adjusted a bit since the CoW agenda references more units in phase 1, but I imagine this should still give some direction about what Lupe is thinking with the site:

http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/groups ... 095799.pdf

From page 4 (bolds mine):
Mill City Quarter (Lupe Development, requesting $1,000,000), 2nd Street South between 3rd Avenue and 5th Avenue. Mill City Quarter will add life cycle housing to the downtown core and provide 250 rental units in a wide mix of service points ranging from independent living to supportive and assisted care. The project consists of two buildings separated by a historic view corridor serving as a connection to the Mississippi River. The west building, to be constructed first, will house first floor retail, likely a pharmacy or grocery store, with 125 units of affordable housing above, marketed to, but not restricted to, senior living. These units will have rents meeting the 50% and 60% MMI requirements for affordable housing. The East Building, will house 125 units of market rate assisted living and memory care housing. Ecumen Social Services has agreed in principle to be the project property manager and the site will be branded as an Ecumen senior care facility. The project will also provide street level connections linking the nearby Hiawatha Light Rail to housing and retail while also interconnecting bike and pedestrian corridors on the River Road, the Stone Arch Bridge and the Mississippi River corridor to the street grid through the historic view corridor between the two buildings. It is anticipated that residents of the proposed redevelopment will be less prone to own automobiles and will be more reliant on alternative modes of transportation. As part of the project, construction of a dedicated bike parking facility, possible with rentals, will be included. The project will also include additional elements that will provide for upgraded stormwater management infrastructure to reduce the burden on the existing infrastructure and provide for a positive impact on the nearby river.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » November 9th, 2012, 4:41 am

Sounds like a great project in some ways, but I'm not sure this is the appropriate site for it. Seems like an odd place for this type of development. This is prime property that should be significantly contributing to our tax base. It will be interesting to see how the neighborhood responds to this.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » November 9th, 2012, 8:28 am

How many 6 story buildings can one city develop in such a short period of time?! Not that this concerns me.....also, it should make the number of available developable sites that much smaller, which should drive up land values.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » November 9th, 2012, 9:05 am

I wouldn't mind a little variety in height though

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » November 9th, 2012, 9:07 am

How many 6 story buildings can one city develop in such a short period of time?! Not that this concerns me.....also, it should make the number of available developable sites that much smaller, which should drive up land values.
Ask that to Loring Park or Stevens Community...

Not that I don't want tall buildings but I also don't think they are necessary for a good neighborhood. I'd love to see the lots South of Washington be much taller buildings.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » November 9th, 2012, 9:54 am

I've spent the last few hours driving around this neighborhood searching for a pharmacy, so I really hope they put one in here. I know there's on right across the river but I don't go over there. Might as well be in Zamunda.
Towns!

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » November 9th, 2012, 10:38 am

I've spent the last few hours driving around this neighborhood searching for a pharmacy, so I really hope they put one in here. I know there's on right across the river but I don't go over there. Might as well be in Zamunda.
Are you a senior? If this is supposed to be senior care and assisted living I highly doubt they will want to cross the river in their hover rounds (that would take hours of driving around). Granted there are a few pharmacies around, but they propose what makes sense to their market.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » November 9th, 2012, 10:41 am

Is there really demand for assisted living downtown? (serious question)
Towns!

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » November 9th, 2012, 12:18 pm

If I'm remembering correctly, this is city owned land, so they should have a fair degree of control over site planning, should the city choose to exercise it. I'm hopeful that they fully express the old rail corridor through the site. The old plans that we'd seen of it didn't do a great job of this -- even though it was technically a public corridor, the site lines weren't great, and I'm not convinced that anybody would have known that it was public.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » November 9th, 2012, 12:20 pm

Is the "rail" corridor the weird pointless bridge between the UofM press and the taller warehouse type building on the north side of that lot?