Burch Pharmacy Building - (1934 Hennepin Avenue)

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Burch Pharmacy Building - (1934 Hennepin Avenue)

Postby lordmoke » June 15th, 2012, 3:59 pm

Work on the building has begun. Windows on the upper floors have been removed and it looks like they've started stripping the interior as well. The plan at this point is to have a restaurant on the ground floor and office space above. As this looks like it'll be a pretty substantial renovation, I started it its own thread.

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Re: Burch Pharmacy Building

Postby ECtransplant » June 15th, 2012, 4:34 pm

This, the Lowry, Rye . . . we could really be seeing Hennepin-Franklin turn into something great. Hopefully it all spawns some renovations in the nearby apartment buildings.

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Postby mplser » June 15th, 2012, 5:08 pm

does anyone know if the moved bike station is a permanent new location or just temporary?

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » June 15th, 2012, 6:03 pm

It doesn't matter how much development comes to the area if the city/county don't do anything about the pedestrian experience and neighborhood connectivity here. I'm talking serious investment and changes in the infrastructure that would be transformational of the whole Hennepin/Lyndale/Franklin complex.

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » June 15th, 2012, 7:05 pm

There's plenty of problems heading east on Franklin, but there's the potential to have a continuous experience heading down Hennepin from Franklin to Lake. I'd consider that a win. Replace the vacant BP station with something cool, and we're halfway there.

booboo
Block E

Postby booboo » June 19th, 2012, 9:18 am

I live just around the block from this building, and I'm excited to see it become something again. However, seeing the workers chipping away at the old Burch sign this morning hurt a little bit. You can see them working in the windows here.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » June 19th, 2012, 10:44 am

Um glad the Burch sign is gone, when I heard the restaurant would have the same name I was worried it would survive. I'm hoping for full height historic windows with refurbished crank out awnings in its place.
An interesting development is that they demolished the one story storefront (except for the facade) adjacent to Rye. Parking? Patio?
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Postby mplser » June 21st, 2012, 6:33 am

the whole first floor is ripped out. walls, windows, everything

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » June 21st, 2012, 11:48 am

Yeah this morning the place looked like it was going to swallow the street up! all floors are gutted, and windowless even...

minneapolisguy
Nicollet Mall

Postby minneapolisguy » July 1st, 2012, 6:54 am

Here are some photos - all signs have been removed from the building - lots of progress.

dingo
Metrodome

Postby dingo » July 2nd, 2012, 9:33 am

Does anyone know where the owners plan on having people park? I love the idea of this restaurant on this corner, but even if they valet there is no parking lots nearby.

4-d
Metrodome

Postby 4-d » July 2nd, 2012, 9:46 am

I hate that effing Cotty Lowry billboard.
^ 4-d

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » July 2nd, 2012, 9:58 am

Does anyone know where the owners plan on having people park? I love the idea of this restaurant on this corner, but even if they valet there is no parking lots nearby.
Probably in the Scottish Rite Temple parking lot.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » July 2nd, 2012, 1:47 pm

I believe they have and agreement with a lot at lyndale and Franklin. Probably the vision loss services which is empty in the evenings. From there the Valets can easily run up through the little park by the bicycle bridge to the restaurant.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » July 27th, 2012, 8:37 am

http://southwestjournal.wordpress.com/2 ... t-parking/

1925 Colfax will be torn down to make room for parking.

Bummer to lose this duplex, but if the tradeoff is a lively successful corner at Franklin/Hennepin, that's still a win for the n'hood.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » July 27th, 2012, 8:52 am

The house is nothing special, and not in wonderful condition, but that will make for 3 surface lots in a row on that side of the street...which is already a fairly unattractive street, as the next two buildings up are fairly run down 1960s apartment complexes. Oh well. Such potential in that area, but there is next to no new development. I think there is a moratorium or something? Would be the perfect area for Chicago style infill...long skinny townhouses.

garfield
City Center

Postby garfield » July 27th, 2012, 9:00 am

I think it is fascinating that the City Council would allow a duplex on a residential street (Colfax) to be torn down for a parking lot, but essentially thwarted the Trader Joe's because there would be half of the parking lot on a commercial corridor (Lyndale), with the other half below grade.

And yes, there is some sort of a moratorium on developments in Lowry Hill. Which seems odd that they would allow a structure to be removed for the construction of a surface parking lot. Ah, the inner workings of the city government.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » July 27th, 2012, 9:18 am

There's reasons behind reasons behind reasons for why things do or do not happen...I wouldn't worry about the City not doing its job. As for Chicago-style infill: I'm ALL for it! I'm not sure how lucrative that is for developers but I'd LOVE to see more 1-3 buildings-at-a-time infill throughout the city to bolster neighborhoods and remove blight/re-gain continuity. A great example of something that could work at this location could be the apartment/condo right across from Calhoun Square and 31st St -- it's 4 floors, it's mostly green, white and maroon, and has a arched roof. Hopefully somebody knows what I'm talking about!

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Postby mplser » July 27th, 2012, 9:37 am

There's reasons behind reasons behind reasons for why things do or do not happen...I wouldn't worry about the City not doing its job. As for Chicago-style infill: I'm ALL for it! I'm not sure how lucrative that is for developers but I'd LOVE to see more 1-3 buildings-at-a-time infill throughout the city to bolster neighborhoods and remove blight/re-gain continuity. A great example of something that could work at this location could be the apartment/condo right across from Calhoun Square and 31st St -- it's 4 floors, it's mostly green, white and maroon, and has a arched roof. Hopefully somebody knows what I'm talking about!
this one? Image

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » July 27th, 2012, 9:43 am

I was noticing this sad little duplex the last time I was at Rye. It appears to have been unloved for quite some time.