Downtown Minneapolis - News & General Topics

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
grant1simons2
IDS Center

Re: Downtown Minneapolis General Topics & Development Map

Postby grant1simons2 » November 18th, 2015, 1:46 pm

Idk... I actually kind of puts me at ease that someone is actually thinking about the better of this area more and more.

https://wedompls.org/urban-projects/tunnel-vision/

https://wedompls.org/urban-projects/curb-appeal/

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » November 18th, 2015, 2:02 pm

Idk... I actually kind of puts me at ease that someone is actually thinking about the better of this area more and more.

https://wedompls.org/urban-projects/tunnel-vision/

https://wedompls.org/urban-projects/curb-appeal/
I'd say it would be better to promote each district individually than to confuse people with a mega plot that has 6 separate districts within it. Easier to concentrate on one area as to similar interest, than a bunch of different areas into one huge glob.

Can't wait for the cultural Icon that is the devil's triangle of Hennepin Lyndale above the tunnel!

Silophant

Postby Silophant » November 18th, 2015, 2:17 pm

I don't really understand why you see it as such a problem to have one overarching area that contains smaller areas. Even in your previous post delineating the arts, entertainment, gateway, and theatre district, you had the entertainment district being a superset of the theater district and the gateway district. What's one more level?
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

mog
Block E

Postby mog » November 18th, 2015, 2:29 pm

I was wondering if anyone has read/knows anything about the residential vacancy rate in downtown? I know there was a spike in the beginning of the year, I am curious to see how well the market is absorbing all of the new units.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » November 18th, 2015, 2:33 pm

I don't really understand why you see it as such a problem to have one overarching area that contains smaller areas. Even in your previous post delineating the arts, entertainment, gateway, and theatre district, you had the entertainment district being a superset of the theater district and the gateway district. What's one more level?
Mainly the shear size and lack of focus. I look at Loring and the Gateway and wonder what do they have in common other than water, river vs lake, and Hennepin Ave. Not really a lot. The Theater District and entertainment district basically over lap each other and have similarities to themselve that do not confuse. Sorry I don't see the Gateway as a part of the entertainment district at all. Odd area created 100 years ago that still has some meaning today as the gateway from Hennepin Ave bridge.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » November 18th, 2015, 3:30 pm

Mainly the shear size and lack of focus. I look at Loring and the Gateway and wonder what do they have in common other than water, river vs lake, and Hennepin Ave. Not really a lot. The Theater District and entertainment district basically over lap each other and have similarities to themselve that do not confuse. Sorry I don't see the Gateway as a part of the entertainment district at all. Odd area created 100 years ago that still has some meaning today as the gateway from Hennepin Ave bridge.
I take your point, but I also think there's value in moving away from the thinking the entertainment, arts, theaters and what not should be in separate districts.

That said, this branding makes little sense.

sushisimo
Landmark Center

Postby sushisimo » November 18th, 2015, 4:44 pm

Yes. I don't have a problem with connecting districts into a larger one. I think a better idea of this type of thing would be lumping North Loop, Gateway, and Mill District into a branded area in which to "Eat, Live, Play on the River" or whatever the latest phrase is. WeDo is a hodgepodge. What is the consistent brand message here? Entertainment? Because most of it isn't even that. Is it a palpable, distinct district west of downtown? I don't think so. Not in that boundary shape. I'm on the extreme northern end of WeDo ( :roll: ) and I don't feel like part of the Walker area. The only connective thing is Hennepin Avenue, and like MNdible said, there's no allusion to it. It seems like there is desperation to make some romantic concept of something that stretches to the river. But, I thought that was the idea with Nicollet Mall revamping. Loring Park, up the Mall, through a redone Gateway Park to the river seems like a spine to brand.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » November 19th, 2015, 11:20 am

I think I could get behind the name more if it was pronounced “Wee-Doe.” Right now it just feels so forced and as if the name was prepared to be a social media hashtag rather than, you know, an actual district.

I see this one tanking after a few months. The defined area really isn’t a cohesive district in any reasonable way. Maybe it would fare better marketing it as a corridor?

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » November 21st, 2015, 12:06 pm

Just for fun, I stayed in the Marriott last weekend and had a pretty nice view of where the proposed MLS stadium would have gone.

If you zoom in, you get a nice view of how this site is isolated this site is, wedged between the freeway and the parking ramp/Target Center.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » November 21st, 2015, 12:11 pm

Actually, I think this is more where the stadium would have been.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » November 21st, 2015, 1:37 pm

Whatever happened to the proposal to build atop that parking garage in those photos?

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » November 21st, 2015, 8:54 pm

Whatever happened to the proposal to build atop that parking garage in those photos?
I think the game of golf is not as popular as it once was. I know there are golf courses that are having financial problems. Probably more due to being over built vs the game has tapered off. I do not believe that the game is growing like it was when they had proposed these facilities. Most likely they could not convince the banks or investors that there was a rock solid investments for the earlier reasons. Golf has kind of priced itself out of many peoples lives now that fees keep going up.

intercomnut
Rice Park

Postby intercomnut » November 21st, 2015, 9:02 pm

I think the game of golf is not as popular as it once was. I know there are golf courses that are having financial problems. Probably more due to being over built vs the game has tapered off. I do not believe that the game is growing like it was when they had proposed these facilities. Most likely they could not convince the banks or investors that there was a rock solid investments for the earlier reasons. Golf has kind of priced itself out of many peoples lives now that fees keep going up.
... what?

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » November 21st, 2015, 9:20 pm

They were planning a golf driving range and a few other things to be built on top of the A ramp. Might have to search golf or A ramp to find the thread that we are talking about.

intercomnut
Rice Park

Postby intercomnut » November 21st, 2015, 10:24 pm

They were planning a golf driving range and a few other things to be built on top of the A ramp. Might have to search golf or A ramp to find the thread that we are talking about.
You know, I honestly had thought you'd posted in the wrong thread somehow because that's just such a ridiculous idea.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » November 21st, 2015, 10:49 pm

Heh!

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » November 22nd, 2015, 12:18 am

Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » November 23rd, 2015, 1:21 pm

Actually, I think this is more where the stadium would have been.
Keep going to your right. That low building on the very right of the frame is the one that Maguire reportedly had an option to buy and the stadium proposal was supposed to be all the way over next to the bend in Royalston, I think. But you got most of it in this shot.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » November 23rd, 2015, 10:55 pm

This mural, on the (vacant?) building at 10th and Hennepin now appears to be complete. I hope this gets to be a trend, there's a lot more blank walls on Hennepin.

Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » November 24th, 2015, 9:47 am

This mural, on the (vacant?) building at 10th and Hennepin now appears to be complete. I hope this gets to be a trend, there's a lot more blank walls on Hennepin.
That's the former National Camera Exchange building? Still empty last I looked.