[Archived] Uptown Retail & Restaurant News 2012-17

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Re: Uptown Retail & Restaurant News

Postby FISHMANPET » November 30th, 2015, 9:50 pm

Last time I was at Lyn Lake (around 11 on a Saturday, just walking to the bus leaving someone's house) someone in an SUV threw an egg at me as they turned the corner. So that's a thing.

Sacrelicio
Union Depot

Postby Sacrelicio » November 30th, 2015, 10:10 pm

Last time I was at Lyn Lake (around 11 on a Saturday, just walking to the bus leaving someone's house) someone in an SUV threw an egg at me as they turned the corner. So that's a thing.
Sounds like a band of Pro Breakfast Radicalists.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » November 30th, 2015, 10:16 pm

11 at night, maybe they were just celebrating McDonald's all day breakfast?

lovethyneighborhood
Block E

Postby lovethyneighborhood » December 4th, 2015, 10:24 am

Does anyone know if Scena Tavern is open yet? Pioneer Press is claiming it opened yesterday. Eater Minneapolis says early December. A Tweet from Bittercube Bitters - who created their cocktail menu - says its December 9th....

widin007
Nicollet Mall

Postby widin007 » December 4th, 2015, 2:39 pm

I have a friend who's a chef(?) there and they were doing staff training like 4 days ago, so its close if not open already.

Condo_Dweller
Block E

Postby Condo_Dweller » December 5th, 2015, 7:02 pm

Lyn-Lake is not Uptown like Henn/Lake is. It was not that long ago Lyn-Lake was undesirable. Crime and drug dealers along with abandoned storefronts sprinkled in with regular businesses. When the the internet cafe Cyber-X opened on the corner (where Cause used to be) in the 1990's it was the beginning of a slow turnaround. The kind of businesses we associate with Uptown of old have migrated east to Lyn-Lake.

winterfan
Metrodome

Postby winterfan » December 6th, 2015, 9:25 pm

Lyn-Lake is not Uptown like Henn/Lake is. It was not that long ago Lyn-Lake was undesirable. Crime and drug dealers along with abandoned storefronts sprinkled in with regular businesses. When the the internet cafe Cyber-X opened on the corner (where Cause used to be) in the 1990's it was the beginning of a slow turnaround. The kind of businesses we associate with Uptown of old have migrated east to Lyn-Lake.
20+ years ago, when I was renting my first apartment in Lyn-Lake, I used to walk to Big Mike's (became Milio's), Falafel King, Saigon, Tatters and It's Greek to Me. The majority of these spots were recent departures. Bryant-Lake Bowl, Dulano's (if you count it) Thurston Jeweler's and Bill's Imported Foods were still there too, as was Sunny's wig shop and Knox Jewelers. Some things change, but IMO it's been remarkably steady. Heck, the Country Bar is coming back.

I do remember that cyber cafe. IIRC, Herkimer's and I-Moto moved into not too long after that opened? And the Jungle Theatre moved to Lyndale in the 90's too? The timeline is getting a little fuzzy, but it seems like these businesses have been there a long time now.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » December 7th, 2015, 9:19 am

Things were pretty steady for a long time there. The transition was slow and steady. It has been the last few years when the apartments along the greenway started to be completed that the major changes started to happen. It was when the building owners knew that they could start charging higher rents, and businesses like Muddy Water decided to see if a new concept could gain traction,which it did and is thriving. I want to say that the Jungle just celebrated 20 or 25 years in their building. That was the true catalyst for the slow march to change for the better at Lynlake. It was after a few years of the Jungle being open that businesses started to invest money in their own buildings, Greek to Me comes to mind. They fixed inside and also build their outdoor patio. The building across the alley from the Jungle got fixed up and filled with businesses.

I personally think there will be a few very disappointed landlords that sit with empty store fronts for a year or two if not longer. Tatters has been closed a year now and no bites. Those $$$$ have to get to be fewer if they hope to get tenants in their buildings. Uptown itself has some large empty spaces that will compete for tenants in the coming year. There will be some new construction in the area too. There can only be so many bars and restaurants, so they will have to find a different tenant mix if they hope to get those stores fronts occupied. I'd call 2015 a transition year. In the Lynlake area there will be no new apartments coming online. With the Fed thinking about raising interest rates for the first time in a decade, we will see if investors race to get the last of the really low rates, or if 2016 will be a wait and see what happens year for Lynlake and Uptown. With what has already been proposed there will be even more space coming online to fight for tenants. Just my observations as a 15 year veteran of the area. Like Winterfan, I've seen 25+ years of slow changes in this area. It has the potential for a great neighborhood hub. But if landlords are greedy,can you say Nicollet Mall, and sit for years waiting for their illusive price point, it might just take longer or worse, pass them by if a recession forces rents down and building to be sold due to no cash flow. 2016 will be an interesting year to watch what transpires in Lynlake and Uptown. It will not go backwards, but how long will it take to refill the store fronts with healthy businesses.

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » December 7th, 2015, 3:42 pm

Does anyone know any more on the speakeasy jazz club that was going to go in at Lyndale/Lake? I dont think it ever opened and now I cant find the facebook page?
It's open, or so they say in the Mpls/St. Paul Journal. And the website is live: http://www.volsteadhouse.com/

That website gives an address in Eagan and says "Enter through the red door inside burgers and bottles." So I don't know if there are two or that is a joke. It'd be hilarious if people started going through this red door and it was just the kitchen or something.

But here is the article that says it is open at Lyn/Lake (http://mspmag.com/Blogs/The-Feed/Decemb ... /Big-Week/):
"I almost feel like I shouldn't tell you about this, but there's a new speakeasy open in Uptown. Rumors have been floating for over a year that Volstead's Emporium would open soon, and some even wondered if it secretly had. But last night was the first official night of the small basement bar, whose only entrance is an unmarked back parking lot door at 711 W. Lake Street in Lyn-Lake."

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » December 7th, 2015, 8:44 pm

That website for "The Volstead House" refers to a different establishment entirely, hence the Eagan address.

The LynLake one is called "Volstead's Emporium"...and it is indeed open. It was like walking into a dream. Pretty cool. We were among the worst dressed people in there...whoops. Sorry fancy people.

thatchio
Nicollet Mall

Postby thatchio » December 7th, 2015, 10:37 pm

I heard from someone who was there that it was pretty cool, located off of a red light off of an alley, and is in the basement. That was the extent of the details.

GILBball
Metrodome

Postby GILBball » December 8th, 2015, 12:00 am

FOR LEASE sign came down at 3012 Lyndale and there were guys in construction vests inside a few days ago. Any news on this?

Chip Whitley
Metrodome

Postby Chip Whitley » December 8th, 2015, 12:19 pm

Scena Tavern opens publicly tomorrow after a soft opening this weekend. The name kind of confuses me. Scena is cool name but it's interesting they choose Tavern when it seems to be largely focused on being more of a restaurant than a bar... but whatever. They put their menu online and it looks pretty good. Prices are actually fairly reasonable. I was expecting some higher prices to be honest.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » December 9th, 2015, 1:35 pm

City Pages reporting that Caffrey's is dead for good, being evicted. Their very short-lived reopening obviously did not stick for more than a few days.
This blows.

http://www.citypages.com/restaurants/ca ... me-7888525
[UPDATE]: Bryan Jones, the building owner, confirmed that Caffrey's is indeed closed, and that there is “an action against them.” He hasn’t had any recent contact with the restaurant owner, and added that it seems like they haven’t been around for about a month.
Dear anyone with connections to Twin Cities restrauntreprenuers,

PLEASE BUY CAFFREY'S AND RIGHT THE SHIP! IT CAN BE SAVED!

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » December 15th, 2015, 3:21 pm

Another Lyn-Lake-ish business bites the dust?

Reports that Louie's Wine Dive is closed.

http://www.citypages.com/restaurants/lo ... ed-7901110

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » December 15th, 2015, 3:36 pm

I liked their food, and prices. Too bad.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » December 15th, 2015, 4:13 pm

^Another update: Looks like New Bohemia is taking the space: http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... -over.html

Chip Whitley
Metrodome

Postby Chip Whitley » December 16th, 2015, 4:13 pm

I wish I could make bets on which places were going to close in Uptown. I had a feeling Louie's was going to close soon for quite some time. It just didn't catch on in Uptown. No one ever said "let's meet at Louie's Wine Dive". Speaking of Louie's, I think Bar Louie is getting hit pretty hard since Slim's and the Fremont opened up. I wouldn't be surprised if it closed next summer. The fact that the next phase of Mozaic will make the patio area less than desirable for the next 2 years could be a 1-2 punch. I actually like Bar Louie and know people that work there but it seems like its run might be... running out.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » December 16th, 2015, 8:50 pm

I wish I could make bets on which places were going to close in Uptown. I had a feeling Louie's was going to close soon for quite some time. It just didn't catch on in Uptown. No one ever said "let's meet at Louie's Wine Dive". Speaking of Louie's, I think Bar Louie is getting hit pretty hard since Slim's and the Fremont opened up. I wouldn't be surprised if it closed next summer. The fact that the next phase of Mozaic will make the patio area less than desirable for the next 2 years could be a 1-2 punch. I actually like Bar Louie and know people that work there but it seems like its run might be... running out.
I would not worry about Bar Louie, in my much younger days I and other of my friends would walk back and forth between bars on Hennepin ave. Having those other bars makes it so people are going to those three vs Libertine and Chino Latino. On the weekends I see lots of people at Louie's, Fremont and the Cowboys. Some even stupid enough to stand outside in a line with no coats for 20 minutes. You might say that the bars of Uptown have hit a critical mass where people can brouse from bar to bar for their next conquest!

MattW
Rice Park

Postby MattW » December 17th, 2015, 9:40 am

My bet is Uptown Tavern. Louie's at least can say it has decent food. Tavern's food is one step up from the cafeteria at the jail downtown. To me, it seems the only think keeping the place afloat is weekend evenings and game day's. Cowboy Slim's is eating its lunch in that category.

Maybe we should wait a few months when the buzz dies down from Slim's and the Fremont being *new*. However, hard to make it in the restaurant biz when your food is terrible.