Mall of America - Bloomington

Twin Cities Suburbs
acs
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Mall of America - Bloomington

Postby acs » December 17th, 2015, 11:13 pm

I think the Mall of America is on its way out in the next 20-30 years.
Ok, then Minneapolis retail will be dead in 10.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » December 17th, 2015, 11:30 pm

Sorry that I apparently hit a soft spot for you guys. I should have added, "In my opinion".

Downtown and really all of Minneapolis' retail doesn't benefit from the mall at all.

Chauncey87
Nicollet Mall

Postby Chauncey87 » December 18th, 2015, 4:48 am

So this is making news nation wide.

"Black Lives Matter protesters to rally at Mall of America"

http://www.seattletimes.com/business/bl ... f-america/

What is it with protesters and the idea that preventing (confronting) people from shopping will somehow bring more to join there cause?

Ill go and check it out I have been meaning to hit up the MoA for a store that sells products my sister really likes for a Christmas gift. I also really would like to see the MoA cement itself into the nations largest mall. At least for a couple years until (if) that mall in south Florida is built.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » December 18th, 2015, 6:56 am

I think the Mall of America is on its way out in the next 20-30 years.
If you're still living here then you'd better hope not, considering the destination it continues to be for the rest of the country and world. Good luck making up that state sales tax revenue somewhere else.
They only get sales tax on merchantize that is not clothing. They make money on the restaurants, Best Buy, William Sonoma, Etc. Clothing stores for the most part are exempt from sales tax.

QuietBlue
Target Field

Postby QuietBlue » December 18th, 2015, 9:09 am

Sorry that I apparently hit a soft spot for you guys. I should have added, "In my opinion".

Downtown and really all of Minneapolis' retail doesn't benefit from the mall at all.
Minneapolis retail might not benefit, but I'd say Minneapolis as a whole does.

Why do you think the mall is on its way out in 20-30 years? With all the growth coming to the area, I just don't see that happening.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » December 18th, 2015, 9:18 am

I could see it going because of online ordering and delivery, if they become nothing but a glorified indoor amusement park, they could go down...

I also don't see them as that big of a "national attraction" they have lots of "visits" every year but I doubt many of them are unique visits. when I go there it's mostly upper Midwestern license plates, and the national visitors probably choose the mall over downtown during their layover at msp...

If the mall wasn't there, they'd be choosing downtown, and so would retailers.

QuietBlue
Target Field

Postby QuietBlue » December 18th, 2015, 9:48 am

I could see it going because of online ordering and delivery, if they become nothing but a glorified indoor amusement park, they could go down...

I also don't see them as that big of a "national attraction" they have lots of "visits" every year but I doubt many of them are unique visits. when I go there it's mostly upper Midwestern license plates, and the national visitors probably choose the mall over downtown during their layover at msp...

If the mall wasn't there, they'd be choosing downtown, and so would retailers.
1. I think you have your causalities mixed up here. Online is definitely affecting brick-and-mortar retail, yes. But the MOA isn't comparable to, say, Burnsville Center or Southdale. It's the "glorified indoor amusement park" aspect of the MOA, along with everything else, that is going to keep it going, not hurt it. The transportation links, nearby/attached hotels, and overall increasing density of the area won't hurt either.

2. Well, yeah, I'd expect that most people who drive to the mall are from this state or adjacent states, the same as I would in any other city in the country. And as far as layovers go, yes, it's closer to the airport than downtown Minneapolis, so that stands to reason too. I doubt that many people are coming to the Twin Cities just to go to the MOA, but nonetheless, a lot of visitors go there.

3. Retail is growing in downtown Minneapolis even with the MOA. There's definitely been a long readjustment period, and the recession didn't help things, but there have been some successes too. I don't know if it's a given that retailers would locate downtown if the MOA wasn't there -- it would depend on if the customer base was there or not. If the customers all went downtown, then yes. But if they scattered to multiple locations, then probably not.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » December 18th, 2015, 10:09 am

Pretty good analysis, QuietBlue.

When the growth in online shopping, demographic change, etc. begins to really show itself (in terms of hurting malls) - it'll show at the 2nd-tier regional malls. Everything stated in QuietBlue's point #1 above will insulate MoA from those effects. Not forever of course, but it will keep MoA stable while Maplewood, Northtown, Burnsville, etc. begin/continue to struggle. Even Maple Grove's Arbor Lakes area is way overbuilt with retail (despite not being a traditional mall) and will see land converted to other uses. Other malls like Ridgedale and Rosedale currently have very strong footholds with minimal competition in their respective quadrant of the metro and will survive longer, especially with the current reinvestment they're seeing.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » December 18th, 2015, 10:33 am

20 some years ago I predicted that the MOA would be a white elephant. I've been proven wrong, with the new addition and the number of people that have visited the mall over the last 2 decades. The mall seems to know how to reinvent themselves. Unless shopping become obsolete, it will be there for awhile to come. Plus the main portion has been paid for now while the newwbies will have to pay for themselves for the decades to come.

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » December 18th, 2015, 5:09 pm

The MOA is really a destination vs. a mall. People are drawn to the sense of excitement there - like going to Time Square or Michigan Avenue. No, they aren't the same but people are drawn to "it" places. It has drawn from DT Mpls... but it hasn't replaced DT... It draws a staggering amount of people from suburbs, outstate, regional and international. The mall is diversifying with the hotels and office buildings - and the transit element connecting to the airport drives a lot of traffic 365. The challenges now are this strategy to create a high end shopping experience. While this market is quite affluent - we are not - in general - luxury buyers like NYC, CHI or Rodeo Drive/LA... I am sure they will succeed in general... but I was surprised that the recently opened north wing is so empty... I felt like they were positioning it as well leased to new and high end retailers... I guess I feel like that space opened with very few tenants. Moving forward, if this new wing is going to start in 2016 I would think that lenders would demand significant pre-lease. Anyone else surprised by this empty new space?

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » December 19th, 2015, 8:15 pm

I think a lot of locals who avoid going to the mall seriously underestimate how popular it is.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » December 20th, 2015, 8:53 am

I think a lot of locals who avoid going to the mall seriously underestimate how popular it is.
The MOA is not where you do your regular shopping unless you happen to live less than a mile away. It is maybe where the rest of us go maybe quarterly or twice a year. I myself don't mind the place, but I'm lucky if I get there 4 times a year. But I tend to shop away from malls as the stuff I want to buy are not sold in the typical shopping malls. But you are right, there are people that avoid the mall like the plague. I used to not care for the mall, but I've softened my stance over the last few years. I enjoy looking at the eye candy when I'm walking thru the mall!

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » December 20th, 2015, 9:54 am

The MOA is not where you do your regular shopping unless you happen to live less than a mile away.
That's just not true, though. A lot of people do regular shopping at the Mall of America.

Sacrelicio
Union Depot

Postby Sacrelicio » December 20th, 2015, 12:24 pm

The MOA is not where you do your regular shopping unless you happen to live less than a mile away.
That's just not true, though. A lot of people do regular shopping at the Mall of America.
I think those would be more the "shopping types." People who shop for fun or who are really into new trends and shop often to keep up.

But what do I know? I avoid malls and most stores altogether and buy most things online anyways.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » December 20th, 2015, 4:23 pm

Was out to MOA today and it was not that busy. I was looking for crowds to have to push my way thru, but it was pretty civilized out there. The new north annex looks very nice, but is very empty at this point. We will have to see how long that section takes to get to even 50 % filled. Until there is a real reason to walk that way, it is out of the way like the wings out at Southdale. The mall has really classed itself up again. They still have to do the 4 anchor corners unless they are not going to upgrade in front of the anchor stores. Only thing I bought was a neon yellow stocking cap at Ragstock for $2.39 and a $1 soda at the dollar store. I went for the fun of walking not shopping.

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » December 20th, 2015, 10:27 pm

$3.39! I love it!

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » December 21st, 2015, 8:21 am

Mall of America is where I go when I need something the big box stores don't sell and I don't want to order it on Amazon. It's closer than Southdale and Burnsville and you can generally park closer to whatever store you're going to.

Malladmirer
Block E

Postby Malladmirer » December 21st, 2015, 8:22 am

I don't think MOA is going away in 20-30 years. That's a bunch of BS. But we all have our opinion.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » December 21st, 2015, 8:31 am

$3.39! I love it!

Was $3.46, that pesky 7 cents state sales tax on the soda!! LOL

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Postby Tiller » December 22nd, 2015, 8:21 am

I'd imagine large parts of it would be converted to other uses before it went under.