mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Re: Embarrassing Confessions of Urbanists

Postby mattaudio » October 22nd, 2015, 8:40 am

I lived in St. Paul for a year.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » October 22nd, 2015, 8:43 am

I finally got that underground parking space, nearly 9 months after moving into my apartment. At age 33, I truly feel like I have arrived.

I immediately sent a note to maintenance about all the shit* people have piled up in their spaces, despite the fact that we have storage units in the building.

*car tires, bottles of various car fluids, boxes, animal kennels, and all sorts of other garbage. Some of it is literally garbage.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » October 22nd, 2015, 9:20 am

So you're saying people treat communal garages like homeowners treat their regular, private garages?

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » October 22nd, 2015, 10:53 am

I finally got that underground parking space, nearly 9 months after moving into my apartment. At age 33, I truly feel like I have arrived.

I immediately sent a note to maintenance about all the shit* people have piled up in their spaces, despite the fact that we have storage units in the building.

*car tires, bottles of various car fluids, boxes, animal kennels, and all sorts of other garbage. Some of it is literally garbage.
You need a snootier building ;)

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » October 22nd, 2015, 11:31 am

Fancier junk.

Minnehahaha
Nicollet Mall

Postby Minnehahaha » October 31st, 2015, 8:43 pm

When I saw FISHMANPET's location displayed as "Corcoran", my mind immediately (but thankfully, briefly) went just to the west of Maple Grove.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » October 31st, 2015, 9:19 pm

Hey you never know...

Minnehahaha
Nicollet Mall

Postby Minnehahaha » October 31st, 2015, 9:44 pm

I grew up out that way, so I guess I have some excuse for how my mind works. But I don't think I can reconcile the thought of you in a snout house with five acres, a riding mower, septic tank, and all the other lovely accoutrements that come with life in that part of town.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » October 31st, 2015, 10:13 pm

... and no broadband ...

Minnehahaha
Nicollet Mall

Postby Minnehahaha » October 31st, 2015, 10:37 pm

Back in the late 80's, the biggest issue in our (nearly rural) western Maple Grove neighborhood was the lack of cable TV. At that point in my life, I could actually stomach the morning show on KQRS (back when it was just "Tom and Dan"). I would hear Barnard griping about his lack of cable on the show, knowing he was just on the other side of our rather large "block".

Matthew
Block E

Postby Matthew » November 1st, 2015, 9:03 pm

I said this in the introductions thread, but was directed here. I actually like City Center. Something about that late-'70s concrete-laden despair just gets go me. Same goes for Moos Towers. Is this confession exile-worthy?

Oh and I like Williams Hall, however that is a pretty incredible building. You can be several floors underground and not even realize it in certain areas.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » November 1st, 2015, 10:38 pm

Not at all, many of us are into brutalism, I'm not a huge fan of City center though ;)

Sacrelicio
Union Depot

Postby Sacrelicio » December 5th, 2015, 3:07 pm

I don't understand the appeal of Peavey Plaza at all.

Also, I don't think even as urbanists that there is anything wrong with sometimes doing things that don't align with our beliefs. It's not our fault that we live in a climate that is sometimes harsh and in a country that doesn't value walkable or transit friendly neighborhoods as much as the rest of the world. America tends to be a little too heavy on always practicing what you preach and being a absolutist or zealot about things you believe in or are passionate about. Think of the European or Canadian multi-modal commuter, or the European on a town bike wearing business clothes vs. the American "Cars-R-Coffns" hardcore cyclist.

That said, still a fun thread! I also sometimes go to the Taco Bell drive thru and I definitely get annoyed by buses and cyclists when driving even though I bike/bus to work 95 percent of the time.

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » December 9th, 2015, 8:00 am

Embarrassing Confession of a Suburbanist: I sat on a public bus for the first time in almost 30 years last month, although I didn't pay a fare since it was being used as a shuttle for the 101 Bridge Opening. It was one of the commuter coaches with the reading lights and all. The last time I rode buses, you kept hoping you'd get a nice white one with air conditioning instead of a red one, and once in a while you'd really strike out and get one with hard seats.

Just for fun I used the metro transit trip planner to see how long it would take to use a bus to the office (Bloomington to Eagan). It was just short of two hours and involved three transfers in what is a 20 minute trip by car.

Anondson
IDS Center

Embarrassing Confessions of Urbanists

Postby Anondson » January 8th, 2016, 2:07 pm

I wish the Twin Cities metro had a hundred more suburban/exurban governments who fought as hard as Lake Elmo to keep itself rural-esque forever. I think it would give the metro a functional green belt development boundary.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » January 8th, 2016, 2:12 pm

Good point... I know Lake Elmo gets a lot of flack, but would it be any better if Lake Elmo was a Woodbury? If cities want to really limit their own development, it's fine by me - it's not like the traditionalsprawl that would supplant it would be any better. Then, agencies like Met Council (sewer), MnDOT (roads), etc should simply just make sure they are investing in serving a city like Lake Elmo in a financially sustainable, cash-neutral basis. That probably means no interchange upgrades, no Gold Line BRT, more expensive sewer connections, or whatever. But, if they pay their own way and prevent ubersprawl, good on them.
All equity concerns aside, of course... but let's not pretend Woodbury is any better.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » January 20th, 2016, 11:36 am

We bought a LEAF over the weekend.

Today I drove a gas car to work for the first time in three months.

blobs
Nicollet Mall

Postby blobs » January 20th, 2016, 12:56 pm

I like that Lake Elmo is rural and think there are so many closer in suburbs that should become better urbanized and don't think Lake Elmo needs to at all. I think we need better rural AND urban spaces, and the problem is just the default mode of suburbanization means those seeking good urban or good rural places end up with a poor compromise. Of course if they pay their own way and prevent ubersprawl. I really like the idea of a green belt development boundary.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » January 21st, 2016, 8:55 am

In a similar vein to David's:

I did two things last week - bought a new(er) car and went on a vacation to one of the country's most urban cities...

...I'm a bit conflicted about which one was more exciting (and, yeah, I've been driving more than usual).

bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Postby bapster2006 » January 23rd, 2016, 6:43 pm

I also bought a new car this year, a 2016 red Jeep Wrangler. I love it.