Presidential Election 2016

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Presidential Election 2016

Postby amiller92 » February 11th, 2016, 10:04 am

Eventually it will stop making money, though, and I think that eventually is soon. Carson will be next out of the race (okay, not counting Gilmore who doesn't matter).

I wouldn't fear Kasich all that much. His record is more extreme than he seems on the stump, and he has a strange uncle vibe to him that I don't think plays all that well. That, he has a case for being less crazy, so, yeah. That's a thing in his favor. Nonetheless, I don't think he stands a chance at the nomination.

I think it will wind up being Cruz or Trump.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » February 11th, 2016, 10:11 am

I agree with twincitizen that Kasich (or Bush) is probably the highest quality GOP candidate left in the field, but I also agree with amiller92 that he's probably not really a factor. Kasich doesn't have the money or organization that the others do, and he's much harder to rally around, so it'd take a minor miracle for him to stick around. It'll all come down to what happens in Ohio, though.

That's why I still think Rubio, while very flawed, has the best chance of actually winning. But his flaws — at least as viewed from the left — are pretty bad, which is why I'm enjoying watching him flutter.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » February 11th, 2016, 10:40 am

The democrats are exceedingly lucky that Mit Romney got burned out after running twice before. Ditto John McCain getting too old by now. Without the advantage of a younger minority candidate on the other side of the debate stage the Dems would be toast in the general election.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » February 11th, 2016, 12:19 pm

I'm convinced that Kasich could defeat either Hillary or Bernie quite easily.
That's the true danger of candidates like Trump. They make hard-line right-wingers look moderate. I suppose one could say the same to Bernie/Clinton looking at it from an independent right-leaning voter viewpoint.

kirby96
Union Depot

Postby kirby96 » February 11th, 2016, 1:03 pm

^thats the Bloomberg theory.

EDIT: well, not really, since Cruz/Trump Sanders/Clinton would all still run, but you know what I mean: would slice off big chunks of moderates.

mulad

Postby mulad » February 12th, 2016, 8:41 am

The Minnesota caucus finder run by the MN Secretary of State is now active. There's also a link on the page for contacting the minor parties. Caucuses are on Tuesday, March 1st.

http://mnvotesinfo.sos.state.mn.us/vote ... ct-caucus/

Both Clinton and Sanders will be in the Twin Cities today. Sanders is expected to attend a Forum on Race and Economic Opportunity hosted by Neighborhoods Organizing for Change in North Minneapolis, then both are supposed to show up at a DFL fundraising dinner at RiverCentre in St. Paul, but apparently not at the exact same time/space.

http://www.startribune.com/escalating-c ... 368480041/

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » February 12th, 2016, 11:29 am

Not really making a judgement on this opinion piece, but it's certainly interesting: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/11/opini ... oters.html

I've also never heard the term "Bernie-splaining" used before.

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Postby Tiller » February 12th, 2016, 3:10 pm

"Will stoop to any low"

Well, it looks like swift boating is on the table now:
http://time.com/4108379/bernie-sanders- ... il-rights/
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/joh ... r-saw-him/

Two notes on this recent episode: Apparently John Lewis' implication that he met the Clintons during the Civil rights Era isn't factually accurate. Further, the CBC PAC is full of white lobbyists from less savory industries.

Also how about dat Henry Kissinger? East Timor amirite?

trigonalmayhem

Postby trigonalmayhem » February 12th, 2016, 4:53 pm

Yeah I was more than a little shocked she was actually proud of being tight with Kissinger. Like ... dude, seriously? But for someone who campaigned for Goldwater, I guess it's not a huge stretch.

mulad

Postby mulad » February 12th, 2016, 6:57 pm

Gilmore's finally out after only getting 133 votes in New Hampshire.

http://www.nytimes.com/politics/first-d ... -campaign/

Amusingly, that's a fraction of the 2,095 write-ins for Sanders in the Republican primary, and the 540 that Clinton got. Of course, there was also some crossover on the Democratic side, where Trump had 1,795 write-ins. These are all small amounts, of course -- Sanders got about 0.7%, which was about 1/3rd as many votes as Ben Carson.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pos ... n-primary/

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Postby Tiller » February 12th, 2016, 11:35 pm

I just want to hear one Sanders supporter say that they will not hold their nose and vote for Hillary in November. Please just come out and say it already.
After explaining some things about US foreign policy and Henry Kissinger to my little sister, I can't vote for Hillary in November anymore. I'll probably be advising my friends to do the same.

As far as the expression "cutting off your nose to spite your face" goes, at this point if I'm going to cut off my nose, I want to do it voluntarily, and not by pinching it off.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 13th, 2016, 12:59 am

Count me in as someone else who couldn't imagine voting for Hillary in November considering I now know she's buds with Kissinger and served on the WalMart board in the 80s-90s. Nope.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » February 13th, 2016, 8:58 am

Just a friendly reminder that not voting for the Democrat in the general is pretty functionally equivalent to voting for the Republican. There's no comment box on the ballot to explain why you're voting the way you did, you either vote or you don't.

Unless there are Republican candidates you think are more progressive than Hilary?

Also a liberal protest vote for Jill Stein or whoever is also functionally a vote for a Republican.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » February 13th, 2016, 11:16 am

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/02/b ... rum-219232
MINNEAPOLIS – A warm, welcoming African-American crowd grew increasingly frustrated with Sen. Bernie Sanders on Friday evening, complaining that he’s too scared to talk about specifically black issues.

Sanders was here for “A Community Forum on Black America,” introduced by the local congressman, Rep. Keith Ellison, one of Sanders' only two endorsers in the House, But unlike many of the packed rallies that have greeted Sanders in other parts of the country, neither the folding chairs nor the bleachers in the gym here at Patrick Henry High School were full.

And the crowd and the panel grew lukewarm on Sanders, saying his focus on economic inequality looks past the entrenched problems they face as African-Americans.

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » February 13th, 2016, 11:57 am

You guys honestly believe that Clinton and Cruz are so close on the issues that a vote for either is functionally the same? Sanders and Clinton voted together 93% of the time, Cruz and Clinton voted together about 2% of the time. I know those numbers don't capture everything, but it seems this primary has really blinded people.

VAStationDude
US Bank Plaza

Postby VAStationDude » February 13th, 2016, 12:14 pm

You guys honestly believe that Clinton and Cruz are so close on the issues that a vote for either is functionally the same? Sanders and Clinton voted together 93% of the time, Cruz and Clinton voted together about 2% of the time. I know those numbers don't capture everything, but it seems this primary has really blinded people.
Yup.

If trump wins a squeaker a la Bush in 2000, the hard core Bernie supporters who voted for Stein or stayed home will be partially to blame for electing an unqualified bigot to the presidency. The horror felt by young people who came to America as young un documented immigrants as they are deported to places they barely know will be because of silly unproductive third party voting.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » February 13th, 2016, 12:48 pm

To be fair, if Minnesota votes for Clinton and Ted Cruz wins, it really doesn't matter if mattaudio voted for Ben Stein.

VAStationDude
US Bank Plaza

Postby VAStationDude » February 13th, 2016, 12:52 pm

That is true. Third party votes are always a waste since a first past the post single member district plurality election system doesn't support third parties.

Sacrelicio
Union Depot

Postby Sacrelicio » February 13th, 2016, 2:54 pm

I think most of the Hillary hate is being whipped up by the right to get Sanders the nom so they can eat him alive in the general. She's really no worse than any other lifelong politician. And abstaining in November is irresponsible.

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Postby Tiller » February 13th, 2016, 3:47 pm

I guess you could say a lot of the Hillary hate is being whipped up by the right. We've heard about Kissinger on stage a couple times from Hillary. She's written a rather glowing review for him in the Washington Post. She wrote about him in her book. She consulted him and got his advice as SOS. She even attends cocktail parties and walks along the beach with him! If Hillary is part of the right, then absolutely the right has been stirring up hate for her.

This Kissinger garbage is the first time in memory that I've wanted to physically throw up because of how disgusted I am. She might as well make him her running mate with all the equivocation from some of her supporters I've seen about Kissinger's war crimes. I had to metaphorically peel my grandmother off the ceiling. I'm glad y'all have taken to talking about strategic voting instead of trying to defend a monster.

It won't be until after both nominees are decided that I'll know how to best vote strategically (a conclusion I reached last fall), but now she's definitely not going to be at the fore of my choices, however things end up working out.