Downtown Minneapolis Retail News

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Aville_37
Union Depot

Re: Downtown Retail News

Postby Aville_37 » November 17th, 2012, 5:54 pm

Looks like something's happening in that street level space next to Target.
The one that formerly was a shoe/clothing store, with a focus on Bob Marley?

I still wish the storefronts on Lasalle would be leased out, at least for dental offices, etc.

Aville_37
Union Depot

Postby Aville_37 » November 17th, 2012, 6:00 pm

On the subject of retail as a whole - I wish during the holidays downtown and City Center/Gaviidae would spend a bit more money/effort on making downtown a festive place to be . City Center and Gaviidae could use some different holiday decorations, etc.

Also - how about a Holiday Village on Peavey Plaza, Government Plaza or the surface parking lot north of the library - similar to Chicago's German Christmas Village on Daley Plaza. However, I would change it to a Scandinavian theme, or cross-cultural winter holiday theme. It would have little stalls selling gifts and food.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » November 17th, 2012, 6:35 pm

On the subject of retail as a whole - I wish during the holidays downtown and City Center/Gaviidae would spend a bit more money/effort on making downtown a festive place to be . City Center and Gaviidae could use some different holiday decorations, etc.

Also - how about a Holiday Village on Peavey Plaza, Government Plaza or the surface parking lot north of the library - similar to Chicago's German Christmas Village on Daley Plaza. However, I would change it to a Scandinavian theme, or cross-cultural winter holiday theme. It would have little stalls selling gifts and food.
I would spend at least a month's pay on stupid Holiday knicknacks if they were presented to me in village form.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Minneapolisite

Postby Minneapolisite » November 17th, 2012, 7:51 pm

Retail just isn't a strength in many downtowns: why force it? Hell, in Chicago when people think shopping they think Michgan Ave: north of The Loop. After all, how many of you guys are shopping at existing retail stores like Martin Patrick 3 or Askov Finlayson? Yes, I had to look up the spelling. I'm not shopping there and Downtown doesn't come to mind when it comes to shopping for pleasure (unless a Zara opens here). I have the Target and Lund's for utilitarian needs along with a Barnes & Noble and Len if I see something interesting and affordable. Downtown's strength is in its destination factor whether it's restaurants and bars or more special event destinations like the theatres. This being the case, it should build on its strengths and small things like restaurants, bars, etc which should be the focus since they don't cost a billion dollars to draw a crowd and they do so on a regular basis, not just during a sports season or the occasional large convention and likewise don't have the track record of being consistent big time economic losers. Someone mentioned LaSalle and it made me think more of Harmon which is mysteriously empty and I always wonder why that's the case whenever I head through there. It would be a great place for a chill bar with $1 swill beer cans, some microbrews and limited late-night menu w/ vegan options with a policy of no top 40. :ugeek: If someone opens that, then Harmon will be on peoples' radar and I along with several other Loring Park residents will have a new place to frequent that's within easy biking/waling distance. A new retail spot? Not so sure it would have the same effect.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » November 17th, 2012, 9:33 pm

I'd love if the kinds of shops that were at the Mall of America were also Downtown, but that's not likely to happen. It looks like Uptown has much more of a chance of being our Michigan Avenue. But I don't think Minneapolis is ever going to be a shopping destination the way Chicago is.

Quite frankly I've got pretty low hopes for high end retail in the Twin Cities. I think our fashion culture is more hipster than high end, so high end clothing (and really, what other kind of retail is there in the grand scheme of things?) doesn't stand much of a chance.

Aville_37
Union Depot

Postby Aville_37 » November 18th, 2012, 12:54 pm

I would spend at least a month's pay on stupid Holiday knicknacks if they were presented to me in village form.

Only a month's pay? LOL.

Minneapolisite

Postby Minneapolisite » November 18th, 2012, 1:26 pm

Funny, I'd like to see a hipster-ish clothing shop Downtown that's not too spendy. As for high-end retail, what about Martin Patrick 3 and Askov Finlayson? $200 shirts and jeans is what I'd consider high-end, but then maybe I'm just poor. The only way chains will open is if some independent clothing shops open which compliments the high-end retailers you're looking for. If not, at least you'll have an excuse to go to Chi-town or NYC. Or MoA:.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » November 18th, 2012, 2:49 pm

Do I see downtown retailing changing in the next 5 years, YES!! But it will not be a north Michigan Ave type, but more a South State Street as we seem to like to reference Chicago. True, "Needless Mark up" is closing soon, but that leave a space open for a real customer service store like Nordstroms or Von Maur to go in and take their place. THere are people who like and EXPECT that kind of service that you used to get at Daytons Years ago.

AS far as the skyways I still see them as mainly as service, convenience, and food locations. IF there are going to be any main retail mass it would be in the 2 Gavidee and City Center. But until the east end of City Center facing Nicollet is made appealing to people and not look like a world war II bunker/bomb shelter will that shopping area gain much in shopping. The whole lower base of City center at street level need to be made to feel inviting. Do you hear us Shorenstein!! There will be how many new residential units going up in a 1 mile radius of 7th and Nicollet. These people will have good disposable incomes and I'm sure not that interested in taking the Blue line out to MOA to do their shopping. There are still people that like to do lunch or supper and shop while out and about doing that. Remember to always look at the past when looking to the future. We have had good retail in the past. THe recession took a blow to many retailers here and across the country. The city need to do a better job at marketing downtown as a place to come to shop, eat, and see entertainment. The building owners too need to put forth some effort to get people to go thru their buildings. IF their building has nothing in it, why would I waste my time walking through there.

I never thought the food trucks would be something that people would go out side for. But guess what, you have skyway places upset because people will go outside for great food and a variety of food. This holds true for retail stores also. Why would I drive out to the burbs to a mall for what I can walk to? On a weekend, I could go out shopping and then do lunch at Oceanaire or Ike's which I could not do out at Ridgedale or Rosedale. There are people that come to the city for entertainment. Why not come early and do a bit of shopping and then supper before a concert or play. Shopping areas need to be appealing and a must see destination to truely draw people into them. We can hope that with a strengthening economy that we will see things happen as far as retail and we will see the retail nodes here in MPLS get the boost they need. IMO!

Just got back from a walk through the Uptown retail area. I remember not too long ago when Uptown was on the verge of being considered a consumer ghosttown. THe Gap was closing, vacant store fronts along various streets. You could setting up bowling in Calhoun Square and bowl a ball with no fear of hitting anyone.

Now we have H&M putting in a two level store in Calhoun Square, Timberland is also in there. Down the street we have Jonathan Adler, Roam and other furniture places. Restraunts are making a comeback and increasing in numbers all along Lake Street, all the way down to Lyndale. So what was once thought to be close to needing Last Rights, is now kicking and screaming with a new found energy. It is people that are willing to lead and start the revolution that will come out on top as they will start out with the lower rents and see the come latelies having to pay more to join in the new progress. Look at the North Loop as an example also.

Minneapolisite

Postby Minneapolisite » November 18th, 2012, 5:14 pm

I never thought the food trucks would be something that people would go out side for. But guess what, you have skyway places upset because people will go outside for great food and a variety of food. This holds true for retail stores also.
So what Mpls needs are fashion trucks. I wouldn't mind that myself.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » November 18th, 2012, 11:03 pm

Funny, I'd like to see a hipster-ish clothing shop Downtown that's not too spendy. As for high-end retail, what about Martin Patrick 3 and Askov Finlayson? $200 shirts and jeans is what I'd consider high-end, but then maybe I'm just poor. The only way chains will open is if some independent clothing shops open which compliments the high-end retailers you're looking for. If not, at least you'll have an excuse to go to Chi-town or NYC. Or MoA:.
I guess first to be clear, I don't make enough money to shop at any of these upscale stores I've never heard of those stores, and perhaps that's part of the problem. They're a different kind of high end retail I guess, more boutique. Also, I've been in Chicago since Wednesday morning so Chicago's on my mind.

If we want to make the Michigan Ave comparison, most of Michigan Ave is upscale chains. It's a tourist destination, and based on my experience in an enormous Burberry store, I think the stores there know it. Quite a bit of what's on Michigan Ave we already have at our own tourist shopping destination, MOA.

There's also quite a bit that isn't upscale, but on Michigan Ave is some kind of flagship store. There's a GAP, there's an Old Navy, there's an H&M, Marshall's may not be on Michigan Ave but it's certainly close.

I'm not sure where I'm going with all of this. I know that we've lost our Bloomingtons, and we're about to lose Nieman Marcus. Not that I have a whole lot to base it on, but Chicago feels more fashionable to me. In August I came to Chicago to get measured for a suit by Indochino and I also ended up buying a suit at Suit Supply. I doubt Indochino will ever bring their travelling tailor to Minneapolis, and I really doubt there will be a Suit Supply in Minneapolis. Sure there's a size difference, but walking down the street or riding the L the clothes are just at a higher level.

Still don't know what my point is, other than maybe I shouldn't start a post, have 2 drinks, and then finish it? I think I'd like to end up in Chicago once my wife finishes her doctorate, but that's because I feel pretty comfortable in a suit and that seems to be more the norm in Chicago than it is in Minneapolis.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » November 19th, 2012, 12:07 am

Chicago seems to suit you.

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Postby mplser » November 19th, 2012, 12:55 am

Chicago seems to suit you.
yer punny

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » November 19th, 2012, 12:56 am

I feel like Minneapolis could support an Express store. Heck, we had one in Calhoun Square until like one minute before I moved to Minneapolis. They could easily fit in anywhere in the area, the corner spot in Greenleaf even! (ok, that's just me being selfish...plus that would be dangerous for my wallet). Seriously though, I'd love to see Express take over part of the Neiman Marcus space downtown. I felt strongly enough about their lack of a store in Minneapolis proper to email them, so that's something...

Aville_37
Union Depot

Postby Aville_37 » November 19th, 2012, 4:29 am

I feel like Minneapolis could support an Express store. Heck, we had one in Calhoun Square until like one minute before I moved to Minneapolis. They could easily fit in anywhere in the area, the corner spot in Greenleaf even! (ok, that's just me being selfish...plus that would be dangerous for my wallet). Seriously though, I'd love to see Express take over part of the Neiman Marcus space downtown. I felt strongly enough about their lack of a store in Minneapolis proper to email them, so that's something...
Good idea. I've emailed the management companies who oversee City Center and Gaviidae over the years, but have never had any luck. Maybe if the public puts enough pressure on them - it'll show interest and lead to something.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » November 19th, 2012, 9:09 am

Express will not move to an area like Lyndale and 27th where there is not real retail mass. Write Express and tell them that you would like to them to look at the City Walk Retail section to bring back a store to the Uptown area.

IF they can get the retail section of City walk filled fast I think you will see Blackstone looking to get the empty lot in front of the Calhoun square parking ramp up with some more retail and it office space keeps getting snapped up I see them getting a mixed use project off the groune before 2015.

Express would make a great 1st floor filler in the corner opposite from Office Max in City Center. The space would be large enouhg to handle both a womens and mens section.
Last edited by Wedgeguy on November 19th, 2012, 9:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

Unity77
Landmark Center

Postby Unity77 » November 19th, 2012, 9:33 am

I heard RF Moeller Jeweler is closing its Gaviidae location.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » November 19th, 2012, 9:41 am

I heard RF Moeller Jeweler is closing its Gaviidae location.
I hear they are moving to a different location downtown, but not sure where that would be.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » November 19th, 2012, 10:47 am

Maybe if H and M does well in Uptown, they could get a location in the old Nieman place too. The Often have more urban store fronts in other cities, and are an attraction for people. Express and H and M would be a great pair to serve the new Nicollet Residences, and if they can be successful be a bellwether for other shops downtown, as more people start moving in.

In my dream retail world Downtown (I would easily settle for uptown) would get an All Saints. Their stores are AMAZING. Their clothes are amazing and fairly reasonable.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » November 19th, 2012, 10:51 am

I am sure I have mentioned it here...but I think H&M is the kind of store that could actually do alright downtown. Maybe with new owners...city center will actually start marketing that high visibility corner space on 7th. If they were actually actively marketing it, I can't imagine it would still be vacant. Not that retail really does all that well downtown, as we know, but that seems like one space that would be taken up.

Aville_37
Union Depot

Postby Aville_37 » November 19th, 2012, 11:55 am

I am sure I have mentioned it here...but I think H&M is the kind of store that could actually do alright downtown. Maybe with new owners...city center will actually start marketing that high visibility corner space on 7th. If they were actually actively marketing it, I can't imagine it would still be vacant. Not that retail really does all that well downtown, as we know, but that seems like one space that would be taken up.
H&M and Urban Outfitters would do well. I think the city needs to rethink shorter hours on weekdays/weekends/closed on Sunday - it just forces out of town visitors and residents to go to MOA or the suburbs to shop. Also agree with what someone said earlier - the city needs to make downtown more inviting/safe for teenagers and 20 year olds. In general - they are the ones who have the time/interest/money to spend downtown. Ideally want a mix of chain stores/independents geared towards different age groups and income levels, but in general - higher end/luxury retail downtown just doesn't work in Mpls. I love the boutiques in the North Loop, but like many of us - can't afford the clothes. Hoping I am wrong - but doubtful they will last more than a couple of years before closing or moving to The Galleria.

My wish list for stores downtown:

Chains: Zara, H&M, Urban Outfitters, Aldo, Forever 21, Club Monaco, Apple (one can dream ;), Puma, Ben Sherman, Kohl's, Nordstrom, J.Crew, home furnishing store, Kiels/Art of Shaving/, Harley Davidson, Marbles/game/toy store,

Made in MN/independent stores: Patina/Biblot/unique gift store, Spam, Red Wing Shoes, Native American store, permanent MN artist collective space, Red Wing Pottery.

General wish list for downtown: ice-cream shop, stand alone bakery.

Also - wish some of the stores already downtown would remodel - Gap, Presence, etc.