Postby Daboink » February 17th, 2016, 5:35 pm

Can someone say Multifoods/City Center #2? :P

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Re: TCF Bank Building Redevelopment

Postby grant1simons2 » February 17th, 2016, 9:08 pm

Yeah I don't think Perkins + Will could ever make something look that bad

By the way here's the full quote:
"It's not going to be ultra modern, something that people look at and say we’re trying to make a modern artistic statement," Friend said, "but it's going to be modern and it's going to be forward-thinking, but in an entirely complementary way to the block and to the market."
And here's what was said in the telecast
On the development front, we continue to work in earnest with our intended partners and our potential downtown development in Minneapolis at 801 Marquette. Our work is now focused on finalizing the actual cost and feasibility with our development partners. This consists of addressing the specific needs or programs of each piece of the development, office, hotel and apartments. We do anticipate that this work will be largely complete in approximately the next month, and from the work we have seen so far on the office version, which is still subject to change, the office piece of the tower is coming on, in line with our preliminary estimated costs, between approximately $80 million to $90 million, including the land.

Squidward
Metrodome

Postby Squidward » February 17th, 2016, 10:02 pm

Anybody else feel a little bad for the Foshay? I'm all for tall skyscrapers downtown but just concerned one of my favorite buildings will be dwarfed by a large next door neighbor

Mikey
Landmark Center

Postby Mikey » February 18th, 2016, 7:03 am

A little bit, yes. Hopefully any new tower is designed to acknowledge it's neighbor's existence, unlike the TCF tower on the NE corner of the block.

If only Mr Foshay had put his tower more toward the outer corner instead of the interior of the block
Urbanist in the north woods

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 18th, 2016, 9:11 am

Anybody else feel a little bad for the Foshay?
If Wilbur Foshay wanted his tower to stand out, he should have built it to 1,000 ft.

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » February 18th, 2016, 9:18 am

And anticipated that large swaths of South Minneapolis would be turned into a freeway to create our de facto 'skyline image'.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » February 18th, 2016, 10:04 am

I think what could happen here is that the tower will appeal to people from far away, while it will highlight the Foshay up close, and that's what people will notice when they're standing on this block. Kind of ironic compared to most historical (post-war) American urban projects that lack up-close details/features and touchability, and a nod to the future of American urbanism. If they could pull this off I think almost everybody would be happy.

at40man
Rice Park

Postby at40man » February 18th, 2016, 10:16 am

I walked through last week, and it seems downright chilly in that portion of skyway -- like they turned off the heat.

I will admit that I'll miss that neglected atrium. It used to be quite lovely once upon a time.

Gman12
Nicollet Mall

Postby Gman12 » February 18th, 2016, 11:48 am

I like the sound of this, hopefully something modern and timeless, a lot of glass, but not something too crazy that some architect is trying to make a name for themselves with some experiment that will be an eyesore for ever.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » February 18th, 2016, 5:25 pm

Whatever they do it should include this: Image
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

capertown
Block E

Postby capertown » February 18th, 2016, 7:04 pm

Anybody else feel a little bad for the Foshay? I'm all for tall skyscrapers downtown but just concerned one of my favorite buildings will be dwarfed by a large next door neighbor
I always like to see older buildings next to new buildings. If done right the juxtaposition will bring out the best of both! Like french fries and ice cream!

MS3

Postby MS3 » February 23rd, 2016, 11:39 am

I often talk to a commercial job superintendent i've known for a while now from delivering a lot of heavy equipment to his job sites over the years. We talked about this or oject at 801 Marquette a few months ago. Yesterday I spoke with him again about it and he said he heard of a "significant reduction in the floor count". From what I'm gathering the proposal will be 50 floors but the city is not going to approve anything over 35. My best guess for this is the location next to the Foshay?

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » February 23rd, 2016, 12:03 pm

That seems to run counter to everything the city has been doing to bolster the downtown and promote iconicTM development

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » February 23rd, 2016, 12:15 pm

I've heard from a very very reliable source that it's still 52. Also I just have a really hard time believing that the city had anything to do with it. It's in a site with no height limit and pretty much right in the core. You're trying to tell me that with absolutely 0 input from the public, the city has decided to somehow force FSP to shorten their building? Can you see why I don't buy that? Especially when there are people out there that believe there's a new height limit in Minneapolis.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » February 23rd, 2016, 12:21 pm

A phantom 400' height limit seems so implausible for the CBD... yet this is the second time we're hearing something like this. It honestly wouldn't surprise me if someone at silly hall had it out for tall buildings (Goodman) because after all, these people are professional idiots. Our recent track record of building skyscrapers pretty much speaks for itself.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » February 23rd, 2016, 12:22 pm

Yeah, I remain unconvinced of the super secret unbreakable 400' height limit.

Our recent track record of building skyscrapers speaks of a slow recovery from a recession, and a downtown that isn't terribly space-constrained.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » February 23rd, 2016, 12:37 pm

Well we haven't broken the 500' skyscraper barrier since 1992, I don't think that's because we've been in a recession for 24 years. Other factors are at work.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » February 23rd, 2016, 12:41 pm

You mean like flight to the suburbs?

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » February 23rd, 2016, 12:41 pm

Like tons of vacant relatively cheap land?

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » February 23rd, 2016, 12:46 pm

Nope, just a plain ol' conspiracy to keep Minneapolis short.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.