Walgreens - (2650 Hennepin - Roat Osha/FirstTech)

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
grant1simons2
IDS Center

Re: Walgreens - (2650 Hennepin - Roat Osha/FirstTech)

Postby grant1simons2 » February 18th, 2016, 9:46 pm

The neighborhood is asking for density here. This is a city. Whats wrong with wanting too see more neighbors?

Anondson
IDS Center

Walgreens - (2650 Hennepin - Roat Osha/FirstTech)

Postby Anondson » February 18th, 2016, 9:56 pm

Single story 50th and France Walgreens is replacing itself with a new Walgreens with apartments above, last I heard.

Condo_Dweller
City Center

Postby Condo_Dweller » February 18th, 2016, 11:12 pm

Grant, nothing wrong with mixed use development and more neighbors. In fact it is what I would like to see in an ideal world. Every time a new development gets proposed in Uptown the consensus is that ONLY mixed use 4-5 story buildings are what will make this a livable city. One can agree or disagree. Unless there are clear market based incentives, the project will get built. The best we can do is engage and encourage good design.

thatchio
Nicollet Mall

Postby thatchio » February 18th, 2016, 11:58 pm

Your argument that they're free to do it if the zoning allows also misses the fact that citizens can voice their opinions and apply pressure as they feel fit, too. It's true when residents want more or less density or different designs. It's a part of the process. I don't think it makes much difference, as the laws are what the laws are and will permit such a use and density.

Personally, I think it's a shame that this building will be built the way it is. The city wasn't previously interested in changing the code by extending the pedestrian overlay at the time the zoning considerations within the Uptown Small Area Plan was implemented. Nor was it interested before that time, as I believe even in the early 2000s it was being discussed informally.

I think the best leverage in this situation to get an outcome more aligned with some of our values is to try and convince the property owner, tenant, and developer on pursuing a more dense project and offer to support them in that effort. I find it very unconvincing that additional density isn't financially feasible. I think this project is not a net gain for the community and those involved deserve to know that there are people disappointed in their approach.

Archiapolis
Foshay Tower

Postby Archiapolis » February 19th, 2016, 10:57 am

thatchio wrote:Your argument that they're free to do it if the zoning allows also misses the fact that citizens can voice their opinions and apply pressure as they feel fit, too. It's true when residents want more or less density or different designs. It's a part of the process. I don't think it makes much difference, as the laws are what the laws are and will permit such a use and density.

Personally, I think it's a shame that this building will be built the way it is. The city wasn't previously interested in changing the code by extending the pedestrian overlay at the time the zoning considerations within the Uptown Small Area Plan was implemented. Nor was it interested before that time, as I believe even in the early 2000s it was being discussed informally.

I think the best leverage in this situation to get an outcome more aligned with some of our values is to try and convince the property owner, tenant, and developer on pursuing a more dense project and offer to support them in that effort. I find it very unconvincing that additional density isn't financially feasible. I think this project is not a net gain for the community and those involved deserve to know that there are people disappointed in their approach.
Idealistically (futilely?) tilting at windmills is ALSO my identity on this forum. Please don't steal my identity on urbanmsp. #RIPidentity

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » March 9th, 2016, 5:12 pm

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » March 9th, 2016, 6:02 pm

So basically another front door that faces the parking lot and is a few feet from the front door side walk. Could be worse, but still I'm not one to give into them. Front door should be on Hennepin not the parking lot.

UrsusUrbanicus
Nicollet Mall

Postby UrsusUrbanicus » March 9th, 2016, 6:11 pm

ROFL at the Vehicular Access section of the site plan review (page 5): "Due to the limited number of drive-through transactions expected on the site, staff does not expect traffic conflicts to result from this configuration."

Limited number? Perhaps my brain is tricking me -- but wasn't there some discussion of the drive-through being essential to this developer's plans? Am I just remembering forum speculation (in the context of our earlier wishful thinking about fitting it into a larger mixed-use proposal), or are there words to this effect actually on record somewhere? An interesting inconsistency, if it's the latter...

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » March 9th, 2016, 6:51 pm

The few drive thru numbers that they need was matched, but they make it impossible if you try and add stories to this project because those few examples would make it impossible to make it economically possible to put in a drive thru. So more or less 5 will work for a one story, but for any more stories, 5 will not work for more stories which is cost prohibitive. Sounds like a steaming pile of S**t to me! Sound like they are trying to fudge numbers so they don't have to build what we want and need.

PS the 5 was a random number I chose, but you get the picture that they are trying to paint two different pic for the same number which I do not buy!! How does the number of car going thru a drive thru change the numbers for adding floors. It just does not make sense to me that it costs more to add a drive thru with more than two stories than the cost of doing one story other than the cost of the floors above. The cost for the drive thru would still be the same either way. You have a drive up window and a driveway. the cost to put in is the same either way. They are trying BS on us, and I call them to prove me wrong .

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » March 14th, 2016, 4:41 pm

Sam Rockwell Is A Lawyer and "has a plan" to force the hand of the developer if they don't make this better. Looks like it's going to be continued until April 11th.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » March 14th, 2016, 4:59 pm

jw138
Union Depot

Postby jw138 » March 22nd, 2016, 8:29 am

Great article in the Southwest Journal:

http://www.southwestjournal.com/news/de ... -hennepin/

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » March 22nd, 2016, 2:42 pm

http://www.startribune.com/minneapolis- ... 372978671/

"Most read" story on Star Tribune right now

MattW
Union Depot

Postby MattW » April 4th, 2016, 12:57 pm

I'd bet there are some MMM readers on this forum. But maybe, we can provide this article to the developer on why we care so much about a Drive-Thru.

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2015/11/ ... rive-thru/

seanrichardryan
Capella Tower

Postby seanrichardryan » April 5th, 2016, 8:40 pm

Via Mick Nagrino on the tweeter:

http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/groups ... 177567.pdf

They asked for fake-town Highland and that's exactly what they get.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » April 5th, 2016, 9:33 pm

And that's fake brick, search the pdf for "face brick"

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » April 5th, 2016, 11:02 pm

This thing makes me so damn mad.

Archiapolis
Foshay Tower

Postby Archiapolis » April 6th, 2016, 7:05 am

This is gross and the city is to be blamed for not working out the pedestrian overlay district at Hennepin. It's been covered above but if they aren't asking for variances, then there is nothing that can be done to stop this is there?

jw138
Union Depot

Postby jw138 » April 6th, 2016, 9:02 am

Seriously?! That's disgusting!!

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » April 6th, 2016, 9:11 am

At least it has a cornice! ;)

Return to “Minneapolis - South, Southwest, and Uptown”