Allianz Field and Snelling-Midway Development

The Most Livable City in America™
Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Re: Major League Soccer Stadium

Postby Qhaberl » March 7th, 2016, 3:34 pm

Dont think so. I saw an article stating that the University, TCF bank, was a better bet.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » March 8th, 2016, 4:13 pm

Related news: United FC out, Minnesota FC in. http://www.twincities.com/2016/03/08/un ... nesota-fc/

...or at the very least, covering their bases.

QuietBlue
Target Field

Postby QuietBlue » March 8th, 2016, 9:59 pm

Good. Calling the team "United" just to sound like other teams when it hadn't been separate teams in the past always seemed kind of dumb. Though at least they're not using "Real" like Salt Lake City. I wasn't aware Utah had royalty, but whatever (and yes, I know about the connection with Real Madrid, but it's still stupid). As for FC...well, technically it's not an FC, I don't think, but that's not as bad as the others, so I'll give that one a pass.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » March 9th, 2016, 1:11 am

United isn't amazing by any means, but Minnesota FC isn't even a real name.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » March 9th, 2016, 7:05 am

That's pretty boring. If they're keeping the loon logo, why not the Loons?
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

ProspectPete
Union Depot

Postby ProspectPete » March 9th, 2016, 7:49 am

Bring back the Minnesota "Kicks" and their funky orange and teal uniforms

MattW
Rice Park

Postby MattW » March 9th, 2016, 10:27 am

Related news: United FC out, Minnesota FC in. http://www.twincities.com/2016/03/08/un ... nesota-fc/

...or at the very least, covering their bases.
At first I thought this was no big deal, Minnesota FC seemed just fine. Thinking about this more, the more I'm getting frustrated with it. First, we were called United FC before joining the MLS, Atlanta is purely an expansion team, they picked the name because it's a popular name for EPL teams. Second, the name United fits so strongly with the culture of the Twin Cities. We are two cities, united behind one team. The Twins got their name for the same reason.

I wonder if there can be some political horse trading can happen at MLS HQ?
That's pretty boring. If they're keeping the loon logo, why not the Loons?
If we can't get "United" I'd just stick with Minnesota FC or FC Minnesota. Follows the tradition of teams in Europe that don't have a formal nickname.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » March 9th, 2016, 10:36 am

St. Paul FC.

cooperrez
Landmark Center

Postby cooperrez » March 9th, 2016, 12:37 pm

Never really felt much for the United moniker, but it fits Minnesota more than Atlanta, especially since it's already our name. I hope this leads to a fierce rivalry every time Atlanta comes to town.

I think it would be cool if United or U could be worked into the negative space in Minnesota, something similar to the 11 that was in the Big Ten logo after Penn State joined a while back.

MattW
Rice Park

Postby MattW » March 9th, 2016, 1:23 pm

Never really felt much for the United moniker, but it fits Minnesota more than Atlanta, especially since it's already our name. I hope this leads to a fierce rivalry every time Atlanta comes to town.

I think it would be cool if United or U could be worked into the negative space in Minnesota, something similar to the 11 that was in the Big Ten logo after Penn State joined a while back.
My assumption is that they're going to keep everything but the name the same. I'd be really disappointed if they changed that beyond a minor tweak. The logo is awesome IMO.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » March 9th, 2016, 2:09 pm

Minneapolis FC. They're playing in our largest suburb, so it works.

twinkess
Target Field

Postby twinkess » March 9th, 2016, 2:48 pm

:lol:

ProspectPete
Union Depot

Postby ProspectPete » March 10th, 2016, 5:38 am

In the yesterday's Minnpost article about the legislative session, it said that in all likelihood there will be no legislative movement on the soccer stadium until the end of session. So that has everyone waiting until at least May(?) to make a move.
I guess nothing is slam dunk these days, so a lot of stakeholders (ownership group, RK Midway, the contractors, the city, etc...) will have to hold off on solidifying any plans until the legislature gives the green/red light....

That's a long time when you are holding your breath and crossing your fingers!

https://www.minnpost.com/politics-polic ... tate-legis

twincitizen

Re: Soccer Stadium and Snelling-University Development

Postby twincitizen » March 10th, 2016, 9:14 am

Mod note: I chopped off the first half of this topic (when we were talking about the Minneapolis site) and sent that to the Nostalgia subforum. I also gave it a jazzy new title.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Re: Soccer Stadium and Snelling-Midway Development

Postby seanrichardryan » March 16th, 2016, 8:33 am

Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » March 16th, 2016, 8:48 am

...their house has a one-car garage -- but they own three cars.
And that's the city's problem, why?
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » March 16th, 2016, 9:59 am

I hate the cliche comment about traffic concerns but this one's fairly legit. I'm curious how difficult/costly it is for the city to issue the blocks most impacted by stadium parking overflow residential permits so only residents can park during non-business hours. When my parents lived in Lincoln Park in Chicago they had residential permits, and almost never got to park their car in front of their condo (nobody could, it was always jam-packed with cars), even with residential permits. It's the trade-off you get for being so close to all of these great amenities, but in this case I don't think the nearby streets will be too jammed as long as they don't allow non-residents to park on weeknights/game times.

HuskyGrad
Union Depot

Postby HuskyGrad » March 16th, 2016, 10:26 am

I hate the cliche comment about traffic concerns but this one's fairly legit. I'm curious how difficult/costly it is for the city to issue the blocks most impacted by stadium parking overflow residential permits so only residents can park during non-business hours. When my parents lived in Lincoln Park in Chicago they had residential permits, and almost never got to park their car in front of their condo (nobody could, it was always jam-packed with cars), even with residential permits. It's the trade-off you get for being so close to all of these great amenities, but in this case I don't think the nearby streets will be too jammed as long as they don't allow non-residents to park on weeknights/game times.
Plain and simple fact, you don't own the parking spot in front of you place as a result it's available to the public. This should be considered when choosing where to live.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » March 16th, 2016, 10:39 am

-(-1)
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » March 16th, 2016, 11:30 am

-(-2)
I really dislike the idea of residential parking permits that exclude other people from parking. Permits are fine, but there should be a meter option alongside it. And if there's still a lack of on-street parking such as your Lincoln Park example, then the permit fee should obviously go up.