East of Pascal, West of Lexington, north of I-94

The Most Livable City in America™
Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

East of Pascal, West of Lexington, north of I-94

Postby Qhaberl » February 29th, 2016, 7:06 am

Any thoughts on the possible redevelopment of this area. Some of the current tenants include: Super target, Walmart, and others. To me, it just seems like there's a lot of wasted space being taken up by parking lots. I feel that target being so far south of University Avenue is a huge disservice to the community. I used to live near the University of Minnesota. I only went to this target a few times. I hated that it was such a long walk from the light rail station.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Re: East of Pascal, West of Lexington, north of I-94

Postby Wedgeguy » February 29th, 2016, 7:40 am

Any thoughts on the possible redevelopment of this area. Some of the current tenants include: Super target, Walmart, and others. To me, it just seems like there's a lot of wasted space being taken up by parking lots. I feel that target being so far south of University Avenue is a huge disservice to the community. I used to live near the University of Minnesota. I only went to this target a few times. I hated that it was such a long walk from the light rail station.
You can maybe think about it in about 25-30 years. All of this development is less than 20 years old. Unfortunately how the Walmart, Herberger's and Cub parcel is laid out, it would make trying to fill in some of the parking areas a bit difficult due to roads that try and criss cross it. As been talked about before. The SuperTarget is going no where. It from a selling point is a very efficient store and layout. If it is not broke and they are making great returns with the store they will not replace it anytime soon. As far as developing the lots facing University. There has already been talk about possible proposals to fill those spaces. A liquor store was the laaaaatest proposal unless others have heard of other things.

Sometimes I don't think that people on this site take into consideration that DEMOLITION is a very big cost. It is not just a few thousands of dollars. But an incredible chunk of a redevelopments budget. In the end, will the replacement have a better ROI as the business/building that you are replacing. I've seen cases where it did not because the idea was ill planned and was not the right product for the site they were building on.

ProspectPete
Union Depot

Postby ProspectPete » February 29th, 2016, 11:51 am

It would be interesting if there could be some sort of development on the Target Parking lots for the "old" store which hug University Ave.
Those lots are almost always empty, since they are so far from the front entrance of Target.

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » February 29th, 2016, 1:51 pm

I agree. Its a shame that they moved target so far back from University. Something should be done about those front lots.

Nels MN
Block E

Postby Nels MN » February 29th, 2016, 1:59 pm

Unfortunately people are right that this Target isn't going anywhere. Lot of college students shop there. As well as half the population of Saint Paul. Always packed. Could, and likely will, squeeze an apartment into the lot fronting University. I'd wish they'd squeeze something in between Walmart and LA Fitness along University as well.

Actually wouldn't be a bad spot for a park and ride. A lot of people from Highland/Mac-Groveland/Como would be interested in parking here and jumping on the train into the downtowns.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » February 29th, 2016, 2:25 pm

I may be mistaken, but didn't the city of St. Paul deliberately push the Super Target back so as to create some potential liner parcels on University? I'm doubtful that they'd ever be developed, but I think there was a method to that particular madness.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » February 29th, 2016, 3:21 pm

The University frontage is entirely buildable. The parking lot and the store have different addresses. Image

Past discussion: https://forum.streets.mn/archive/Minnescrape ... ?f=2&t=243
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

nate
Landmark Center

Postby nate » March 1st, 2016, 7:57 am

I think the Target parking blocks will get redeveloped in the next 10 years or so. There arent many more parcels that size fronting University, and the strip mall that is on the corner of Hamline and University will be easy to tear down.
The Walmart/Herbergers/Cub superblock will remain as is for the forseeable future, I think. Unfortunate, but given all the activity that will be happening at the stadium site....oh well.

The blocks east of Target down to Lexington are really interesting. There are some really interesting buildings back there.

The old factory at Griggs and University is screaming for an adaptive reuse of some kind. (I can see the tower from my bedroom window, it would look fantastic all lit up.There are others, though, that could be updated and made into something special. This area lacks cohesion, but a few good projects in conjunction with some open space and more street grid connections would be a game changer here.

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » March 1st, 2016, 9:27 am

I agree, the blocks in front of target, facing University Avenue, and will hopefully be developed soon. I believe target owns those parcels; does target want them to be developed? I could see target wanting them to remain vacant, because once developed they will block the line of sight of target from the light rail. Any thoughts?

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » March 1st, 2016, 3:30 pm

As long as there is a sign on University that says Target, people will be slowing down and looking for it. Anyway, close to 90 % of their business is repeat customers and people from the area that know where Target is. It is not like you are going to be building a solid block long wall that will cut Target off from University.

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » March 16th, 2016, 7:05 pm

Who currently owns the two lots just north of targets main parking lot?

Minnehahaha
Nicollet Mall

Postby Minnehahaha » March 16th, 2016, 8:26 pm

Oddly, tax records (2016 valuation) show the land belongs to the Dayton Hudson Corporation (!) c/o Ecova Inc. in Spokane, WA which describes itself as an "energy and sustainability management company". In prior years it was listed as owned by Dayton Hudson, c/o Target Corp.

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » March 16th, 2016, 8:33 pm

I haven't been by there lately. What is that land currently being used for? From what I can remember, nothing.

Minnehahaha
Nicollet Mall

Postby Minnehahaha » March 16th, 2016, 8:53 pm

Still nothing... But I was glad to see seanrichardryan post the 2006 site plan clearly indicating this space has long been intended for "future development" since I get tired of people complaining about how they put the new Target behind "all that parking" that they clearly will never need (and assuming it is intended to be nothing more than parking in perpetuity).

Just like it took ages to find a tenant for the old Mervyn's store (now LA Fitness) there are no doubt very specific criteria Target (or Dayton Hudson/Ecova, whatever that might mean) take into account before approving any sale so as to prevent competition with their store.

editcostarica
Block E

Postby editcostarica » March 17th, 2016, 12:17 pm

I haven't been by there lately. What is that land currently being used for? From what I can remember, nothing.
Ostensibly it's used for parking as they are paved, marked lots. But in my five years in Frogtown, I've never seen Target's parking overflow all the way to University.

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » March 17th, 2016, 3:03 pm

It would be nice to see some apartments be built here. I am sure that target does not want another retailer. In my opnion apartments would be great. The light rail makes it a highly desirable place. Target could also gain more customers.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » March 17th, 2016, 7:27 pm

Was not one of the lots supposed to be working as a Target owned liquor store That Big Top did not want.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » March 17th, 2016, 7:28 pm

no, the liquor store is within the Target store building.

hanslu01
Block E

Postby hanslu01 » October 9th, 2017, 3:42 pm

I have question about a piece of land within the boundaries named in the title of thread, but at the opposite end:

There's an empty parcel of land just north of the SuperAmerica at 399 Lexington Parkway, between University Avenue and I-94. Why is it undeveloped? What used to be there? Who owns the land? Is there any prospect of it being developed? What are the barriers to developing it? I imagine that it would be a good place for apartments, because it's a short walk from the Lexington stop on the Green Line. Curious what anyone might know about it.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » October 9th, 2017, 9:04 pm

It's currently owned by the Amherst Wilder Foundation. There are plans for a project called 'Lexington Station' that would bring 246 units of affordable housing in two buildings, a partnerships between CPM & Michaels Organization. Not sure where the project is at now, but it was presented this spring to the UPDC Land-use committee.

Last edited by seanrichardryan on October 9th, 2017, 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.