Re: MSP Airport

Postby downfall » March 10th, 2016, 7:28 pm

MSP has a new website covering upcoming improvements: http://reimaginemsp.com/

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » March 11th, 2016, 12:26 pm

MSP has a new website covering upcoming improvements: http://reimaginemsp.com/
Thanks much for that link. Very interesting. Wonder what their latest start date is on the hotel for it to be open in Jan of 18 in time for the Superbowl. Would think that they would want to be open by Nov of 17 so that they would have time to test the staff on the Thanksgiving and Christmas crowd.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » April 13th, 2016, 8:09 am

I dropped toddler.shoes off at daycare this morning not too far from 56th/Chicago and was heading west on 56th at that very intersection. I saw a plane come in to land, flying very erratically. It swooped in abruptly from the south at a rather extreme bank and then looked like it was overcorrecting back the other way as it flew overhead. It also seemed unusually low. Best I could tell it was a Spirit plane (multicolored livery) and a little digging indicates it would have been flight 742. It's entirely possible that my angle to the plane exaggerated the appearance of an erratic approach, but as someone who lives directly under the flight path for the north runway I'm pretty accustomed to seeing planes come in. This was bizarre, to say the least.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » April 13th, 2016, 8:48 am

Picture perfect weather this morning. Must be drunk?
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » April 13th, 2016, 8:57 am

That's what made it so extra-strange! I'm used to seeing planes go over our house crabbing ever so slightly into the wind, but today there wasn't even a hint of breeze. My first guess was some sort of emergency, in which the plane needed to cut in line and wasn't set up way west of here for a normal approach. Then I suspected distraction or ... I don't know. It just made me nervous in ways most landings never make me nervous. That's why I'm really hoping it was a happenstance of visual angles and everything was normal.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » April 13th, 2016, 9:06 am

Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » April 18th, 2016, 12:50 pm

Service to Ironwood, MI - a former Northwest Airlink destination which also saw Great Lakes try the route in 2012-2014 - will be initiated by Air Choice One on June 1. This will be the first destination for Air Choice One at MSP, which operates Cessna Caravans. Unlike Great Lakes, I don't think they will be providing an interline or codeshare with Delta.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » April 18th, 2016, 3:08 pm

Graves is working with InterContinental on Minneapolis airport hotel
http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... rport.html

The observation lounge sounds very cool.

matt91486
Nicollet Mall

Postby matt91486 » April 18th, 2016, 3:53 pm

Service to Ironwood, MI - a former Northwest Airlink destination which also saw Great Lakes try the route in 2012-2014 - will be initiated by Air Choice One on June 1. This will be the first destination for Air Choice One at MSP, which operates Cessna Caravans. Unlike Great Lakes, I don't think they will be providing an interline or codeshare with Delta.
I struggle to see how this will be viable without any sort of relationship with Delta, but hey, maybe I'll be proven wrong and people will be willing to buy multiple tickets.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » April 18th, 2016, 4:34 pm

According to our friends at Wikipedia, Air Choice One is already providing EAS service between Ironwood and O'Hare. So this may be a logical add-on to their existing service.

In case you were wondering, they fly nine-seat Cessnas.

SteveXC500
Nicollet Mall

Postby SteveXC500 » April 19th, 2016, 6:59 am

In addition to the Air Choice One service, several other carriers have introduced, or will soon, new service of their own. I wanted to post just in case some were not aware. They are:

April 5th - American to Washington National (E170/175 equipment)
April 12th - Southwest to Baltimore - twice daily now and just recently added a third daily this fall.
April 14th - Spirit to Atlanta and Philadelphia
April 15th - Frontier to O'Hare (1x daily)
April 28th - Spirit to Boston
May 4th - Sun Country to Denver - it will be interesting to see how one daily flight competes with DL, UA, WN having upwards of 5/day.
May 26th - Delta to Iceland
June 2nd - American to LAX (A319 equipment)
June 4th - Delta to Rome - also, I believe I recently read DL extended this into the fall a bit more
June 9th - Sun Country to Portland, OR.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » April 21st, 2016, 3:08 pm

Delta is seeking a slot for MSP-Tokyo Haneda (HND) in addition to slots for ATL and LAX.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » April 21st, 2016, 3:11 pm

No way! Awesome. Over Seattle?

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » April 21st, 2016, 3:42 pm

And over Detroit, the other TPAC gateway. My guess? Trying to get appeal to the DOT because they've already failed at HND-SEA and HND-DTW?

Chauncey87
Nicollet Mall

Postby Chauncey87 » April 22nd, 2016, 4:12 am

In case anybody ever using T2 wondered if B747 can use one of the gates? Your answer would be yes. For the past year the largest jets I have seen using T2 are the B767 from Condor. Tonight around 1900 a United B747-400 (744) taxied its self over to what seemed at first past all the gates then a sharp turn happened and I watched her glide into one of the gates that Sun Country uses. However in the summer if I remember right a couple of gates are used mostly by Condor and Iceland Air. Its been many months, but I feel the B747 used the gate Condor is going to be using pretty soon for the summer season. The jet left the gate and took off just around 2200.

Just did a little digging and the B744 came from Nassau. It also does not seem to be diverted from another airport. Seems to be United does charter flights? Come to think of it over the past year I have seem more then a handful United B744 at MSP, however this was the first time I have seem one pull up to a gate. Also the first time ever seeing any B747 use T2. Flight # UA2232 Then left for ORD flight # UA2263. Have to wonder if people who fly United wondered why there flight to ORD was using a different terminal. This might have been a double stop with nobody new getting on board however in Minneapolis.

SteveXC500
Nicollet Mall

Postby SteveXC500 » April 22nd, 2016, 8:28 am

Facebook page for MSP Spotters indicated it was a return of State Farm employees from a company event in the Bahamas - so yes, a charter by United, in this case.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » April 22nd, 2016, 10:37 am

Facebook page for MSP Spotters indicated it was a return of State Farm employees from a company event in the Bahamas - so yes, a charter by United, in this case.
Jesus, I'm in the wrong business.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » April 22nd, 2016, 2:26 pm

Jesus, I'm in the wrong business.
—Matthew, before giving up his tax collector role and following the Messiah

;)

Snark-free: the company I work for is in the business of helping other companies incent and reward their employees. While I haven't a clue if we ran this trip for State Farm, we run scores of similar trips. These are the types of things that someone can spend a lifetime working to earn—Joe Schmoe finally reaching his incredibly lofty goals, Suzy Q winning a signature service-type award, Frank Furter reaching a quarter-century with the company, etc. When the recession hit in 2008, our corporate travel business tanked because big companies were scared of the bad press they'd get for sending 200 people to the Caribbean. But what people didn't realize was that 75% of the trips we—and companies like us—run are for regular middle-class folks who achieved something they're unlikely to ever achieve again.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » April 22nd, 2016, 8:18 pm

All we get is a stupid patent plaque, not even rights to the IP.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

maxbaby
Landmark Center

Postby maxbaby » April 22nd, 2016, 8:32 pm

Boutique Air to replace Great Lakes Airlines to/from Thief River falls starting June 1st. They will use 9 seat PC-12's.