Theories

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
go4guy
Foshay Tower

Re: Nicollet Hotel Block

Postby go4guy » April 7th, 2016, 7:06 pm

There would be absolutely no reason to spend that money for the type of employees to be housed in those two towers.
You fronting?
Haha. No. I worked for Wells Fargo for 8 years and our department would have loved to have been moved to this downtown campus. But most of Wells Fargo operations in Minneapolis do not require Class A office space. Just saying that I highly doubt WF was ever interested in building a big tower.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Re: Nicollet Hotel Block

Postby grant1simons2 » April 7th, 2016, 7:20 pm

...Also, when was it ever rumored that Wells Fargo was going to build a 600 foot tower? There would be absolutely no reason to spend that money for the type of employees to be housed in those two towers.
Nasa said it on Minnescraper I think. That's what I saw when looking at the remaining archives at least.

Silophant

Re: Theories

Postby Silophant » April 7th, 2016, 8:14 pm

So it was a rock-solid piece of inside information, is what you're saying.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

MS3

Re: Ironclad Apartments & Moxy Hotel - Washington & Chicago

Postby MS3 » April 23rd, 2016, 8:27 pm

Not trying to pour gasoline on a raging fire here, but I heard this on a radio station in Seattle a few months back about Minneapolis .. "Minneapolis has become increasingly famous for these two things, shrinking skyscraper proposals and a football team that will always be jinxed in the playoffs".

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Re: Ironclad Apartments & Moxy Hotel - Washington & Chicago

Postby grant1simons2 » April 23rd, 2016, 8:28 pm

Not trying to pour gasoline on a raging fire here
That's exactly what you're trying to do.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » April 24th, 2016, 9:16 am

Does anyone remember this weird post

https://streets.mn/2014/02/13/would-the- ... -once-did/
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » April 24th, 2016, 8:22 pm

It's just supply and demand, not a conspiracy. Even in a very weak office market that we're in now, we'll likely get a 600+ foot mixed-use office-dominated building at TCF. If the market were white hot, that could have easily been the site of a new tallest. Also, what's the point of building so high in a land surrounded by.......land. When a city, any city, builds an abnormally tall building not likely driven by market economics it's just a d*ck-measuring contest (JMO). I expect that kind of thing in cities with a lot to prove to themselves, like OKC or Cleveland. Others that currently have new tallest proposals by and large are in cities with very high land values.

I'm okay with "sustainable" development, Minneapolis style (slow and steady).....for now.

MS3

Re: Downtown Minneapolis General Topics & Development Map

Postby MS3 » April 25th, 2016, 6:32 pm

Looks like the tower at 200 central Ave has shrunk below the 400 foot "phantom" Minneapolis height restriction.. Exactly what I predicted. New info shrinks it to 37 stories at 396' as opposed to the former 40 story height at 467. I believe it's called the skyline opposed to the former 40 story height at 467. I believe it's called the skyline or Altlas project. However, I'm now hearing it will be 27-30 stories tops. Same ol song and dance Minneapolis! The only way this babies going to exceed 400 feet is if you stick at gigantic's spire/antenna on the top.

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » April 25th, 2016, 6:56 pm

Maybe you'd like to share a link or some sort of document to back up what you're saying?

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » April 25th, 2016, 7:14 pm

Altlas

37 stories at 396' as opposed to the former 40 story height at 467

I believe it's called the skyline opposed to the former 40 story height at 467. I believe it's called the skyline or Altlas project.

MS3

Postby MS3 » April 25th, 2016, 7:19 pm

I don't need a link.. I have yet to be wrong. I predicted the 6 floor decrease at Nic and 5th, months before any "link", the decrease at LPM from 430' to 380' (it's 376'), this one from 467' to under 400' (it now won't exceed 37 floors and will likely be maxed out at 30) just to name a few. I'm also predicting the former TCF site is now going to be less then 35 stories as opposed to the originally posted 50 floors if it's even still alive. These are just a fraction of my prediction that I've posted over the years. I can't find any accurate information proving a 400 foot height limit rumor, however, I am confident Minneapolis won't see another Tower built over 500 feet. Ever. The target headquarters was supposed to be far past the 500' height, ironically it's 492 feet. There may be proposals over 500, but that's is far as it will get. Even the new Nicollett hotel or iconic tower is only around 400 feet. The spire, if that even remains part of the building, only use is to make the building more "visible" because of its lack of height... I believe there's an article talking about that. (With the spire it's 530') I've even heard the spire is exactly supposed to be 130 feet! Which is ironic if that's true because that would leave the building height at 400 feet enforcing the 400 foot height rumor.

jw138
Union Depot

Postby jw138 » April 26th, 2016, 7:47 am

Now I'm sure this is a regular who's trying to have some fun.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » April 26th, 2016, 11:04 am

Its ironic!

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » April 26th, 2016, 11:10 am

They even put Woodbury as their zipcode.

MS3

Re: TCF Bank Building Redevelopment

Postby MS3 » April 27th, 2016, 3:17 pm

Tall buildings are expensive and hard to put together.. So are Mercedes Benz, but they are still driven in Minneapolis.
The Empire State building was built nearly 100 years ago in 13 months. I build tall buildings, I know all the OSHA cards, regulations, pricing, planning etc. etc.
It's not because of the expense and difficulty Minneapolis isn't getting any more tall buildings. Its because it's Minneapolis and everything planned since the the IDS's completion in the 70s has been cut down to size to be shorter than the IDS. (Capella was planned over 1000, Wells Fargo over 900, Dain Rauscher- RBC, over 900) plus the rejection of the IDS II- over 900. Then just before the year 2000, The Targets headquarters was maxed out at 492 feet but originally planned nearly twice that high but not allowed. Since 2000, everything behind closed doors that has been brought to Minneapolis before proposed has been rejected if it's over 500 feet. The Nicollett, was proposed In 2006 I believe, A proposal for the Nicolett [sic] at 656' was established. The recession illiminated this project however, just prior to its collapse, it was rumored in the construction industry that a major floor count reduction was implemented. I believe it was to be 400' at 35 floors. These are a FEW examples of the track record of Minneapolis with height issues. The last 10 years have shown nothing over 400 feet. The Carlyle was the last building built at 467 feet 10 yrs ago- it was not allowed to be over 500'. LPM was cut down from 432- 376. Nic on 5th was cut down 6 stories. The new proposal at 200 Hennepin I believe , has gone now from 476 down to around 350' and still possibly dropping in floor count. Even the new iconic tower though fairly rich in architectural design is only over 500 feet (530) because it was allowed a 130' spire. Is it coincidental that 530-130 = 400 feet??? These are just some facts, but not nearly all facts of floor count reduction and height rejection in Minneapolis.
Ive researched some other U.S. Cities with metro areas in the 3 million + range and I can't find more than a very small percentage of this issue happening elsewhere since the completion of the IDS over 40 yrs ago. This track record is amazing. Can you imagine what Minneapols would look like and be today if it didn't have this issue? This TCF site is a prime example of what has and will continue to lie ahead in Minneapolis for decades to come.. Regardless of the Economic state. Let's just enjoy our low -rise boom. Once that's over, all you'll see build in Minneapolis is to 2x4' wood construction.

Mcgizz
Nicollet Mall

Re: TCF Bank Building Redevelopment

Postby Mcgizz » April 27th, 2016, 4:45 pm

The recession illiminated this project however, just prior to its collapse, it was rumored in the construction industry that a major floor count reduction was implemented.
The recession illiminated this project however, just prior to its collapse,
illiminated
Illuminati confirmed.

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Postby Tiller » April 27th, 2016, 5:32 pm

Am I the only person ok with MS3's posts?

nBode
Union Depot

Postby nBode » April 27th, 2016, 6:14 pm

It would just be nice to have, you know, sources. MS3 makes the same statements over and over without any references. Give us some links and you'll be credible.

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Postby Tiller » April 27th, 2016, 6:32 pm

I mean, yeah, but it's fun.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » April 27th, 2016, 8:35 pm

I don't really mind the posts, but I'm just not okay with every thread in the downtown forum becoming an argument over whether there's a height limit or not. MS3's posts on other subjects wouldn't get moved, if there were any such posts.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]