Gaviidae Common / Downtown YMCA

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
MobJob
Block E

Re: Downtown Minneapolis General Topics & Development Map

Postby MobJob » February 18th, 2016, 2:31 pm

I think those interiors are historic for sure and we already lost half of it. People should be devastated and the city should realize what an asset those kinds of public space are. It's ridiculous to have that lost for a gym.
It's, what, 25 years old? And historic as what? An attempted urban shopping mall that failed almost immediately?

It's a beautiful interior that would be a damn shame to see go. But it's hard to see the case for telling the property owner what they can do with the inside.

The weirder part to me is the Y wanting to move. It's property isn't that old (1990?) and how will they have a pool, for example, in a new space?
The fact that you think age is the sole determinant in whether something is of historic nature is proof that you don't know anything about the subject. Preservation is to save buildings that are not necessarily appreciated by the public now (you) and keep them around long enough that the future can enjoy them, when it is history again. Hundreds of buildings like this get sterilized when they "aren't successful"and then years later everyone looks at pictures in books and wonders why they aren't around anymore. You cant tell me that there aren't plenty of options of things to do with that space that don't destroy the architecture.

I read his comment as being a normative statement. As in, is it really good policy to protect relatively new buildings (interiors especially) with historic designations? Not to speak for him, but it's a legitimate criticism of "historic preservation" efforts.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » February 18th, 2016, 2:45 pm

This might be naive, as I haven't spent much time there, but is there a reason they wouldn't just build around the atrium?

As an outsider, filling it in seems like textbook nose-cutting-off to spite the face.
I would imagine it's because they need that space.
Yeah. They've got two uses (gymnasium and pool) that pretty much require an at least 100'x100' space with high ceilings, and they probably can't fit them both in the old Saks space above the Walgreens.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » February 18th, 2016, 10:24 pm

They could fill in the 3rd & 4th floor corridors ala City Center. Lose the halls and add glass. (it would still ruin the space.)
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » February 19th, 2016, 10:22 am

The fact that you think age is the sole determinant in whether something is of historic nature
If I thought that, why would have have said, "Historic as to what?"
is proof that you don't know anything about the subject.
I know very little about the byzantine rules around what gets protection, that is true.

at40man
Rice Park

Postby at40man » February 23rd, 2016, 1:21 pm

I can't even begin to describe how upset this makes me.

Reminds me of what the Soviets did to the Church of St Peter and Paul:

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » February 23rd, 2016, 10:06 pm

Reminds me of Superman.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » March 18th, 2016, 2:24 pm

More info on the Y...buying floors 3, 4 and 5...still doesn't really give any info about what that means for the atrium.

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... bonds.html

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » March 18th, 2016, 2:26 pm

I think floors 3 and 4 of the old Saks space equal about 46k sq feet, with 5 being a bit smaller...so maybe 53k square foot athletic center would be there?

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » March 18th, 2016, 6:05 pm

First up what the hell happened to this site. It is Fucked up.

If they were to do like they did at the LA Fitness at Calhoun and lines some of their cardio machines to over look the atrium with glass I would be ok with that. Doing a number like they did in G2 would be out of the question entirely if they build floor and cover that great space.

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » March 20th, 2016, 8:14 am

Woah, we can swear on here now? :)

Silophant

Postby Silophant » March 20th, 2016, 9:17 am

There's never been a rule against it, actually.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

nBode
Union Depot

Postby nBode » April 27th, 2016, 5:34 pm

Regarding Gaviidae:

I went to HGA today for a class and saw 2 renderings of the Y. One was a night shot of the roof which showed a rooftop terrace-type addition with green spaces. There was a small addition it looked like to give access. Couldn't see much else in that rendering.
The other was a more conceptual rendering of the atrium which seemed to show it intact, but with several new stairways extending into and across the atrium. I couldn't tell if the atrium was closed off or still public, though.

And I'm sure these are pretty preliminary/subject to change.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » June 30th, 2016, 12:07 pm

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » June 30th, 2016, 12:33 pm

Ah, a ymca office...more great use of space along nicollet:(. I really hope they don't totally screw this building like rbc plaza did. Still no mention of what happens to the atrium. This could turn out really great....or it could be a disaster. I was wondering if they might use the 6th and Nic corner as a ground level space and maybe a new elevator.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » June 30th, 2016, 12:47 pm

My biggest concern besides what happens to the atrium, is what the future holds for their vacated space in Lasalle. It's 115k feet, but there's got to be some awkward floor plates and layouts, no? Wasn't this built as a health club?

MplsErik
City Center

Postby MplsErik » June 30th, 2016, 12:57 pm

I think most people will be pleased. The 6th/Nicollet corner will be nice. And the atrium will remain a focal point.

Ah, a ymca office...more great use of space along nicollet:(. I really hope they don't totally screw this building like rbc plaza did. Still no mention of what happens to the atrium. This could turn out really great....or it could be a disaster. I was wondering if they might use the 6th and Nic corner as a ground level space and maybe a new elevator.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » June 30th, 2016, 1:04 pm

That sounds good...So you have info? Can you please share a rough description of the plans? Will the remainder of floors one and two be retail?

MplsErik
City Center

Postby MplsErik » June 30th, 2016, 1:09 pm

I have more details, but it's more fun watching people overreact/speculate, especially on here.

Floors one and two will continue to have retail, with the Y retaining some portions of one and two.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » June 30th, 2016, 1:14 pm

I couldn't tell from the article, which talked exclusively about offices, but will there by a gym/pool?

MplsErik
City Center

Postby MplsErik » June 30th, 2016, 1:17 pm

Yes. It will be a full service branch, including pool and gym.
I couldn't tell from the article, which talked exclusively about offices, but will there by a gym/pool?