Grocery Stores

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Re: Grocery Stores

Postby seanrichardryan » May 3rd, 2016, 7:14 pm

Great, as long as I never have to see this font again.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Cub_Foods.png
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Anondson
IDS Center

Grocery Stores

Postby Anondson » May 25th, 2016, 3:44 pm

Hy-Vee said to be coming with convenience store concepts in addition to the grocery stores.

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... tores.html

The better to feed the loyalty points of their customers.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » May 25th, 2016, 7:38 pm

After moving to Rochester, I have to say that Hy-Vee is a great store to have nearby. Usually nice, clean, and good quality. I have been very impressed. And the rewards program with the fuel savers is great. Earlier this year I filled up my 26 gallon truck for about $8. Cant beat that!

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » May 26th, 2016, 7:02 am

The Seward Friendship store is terrible*. Other coops are only slightly better, in my experience. The (lack of) selection of food just does not appeal to me. I think once and for all I have discovered that I am just not a coop guy.
Lunds & Kowalskis carry produce that is good enough, and their deli selections are far more expansive (pasta salads, cole slaws, sliced deli meats, selection of many flavors of brats and marinated chicken breasts, etc.)

I've been shopping at Uptown Cub more lately to save some $, but I still have to make a separate weekly trip to Lunds/K-wals/Fresh Thyme to get my Boar's Head sliced turkey for lunches.

Also, they didn't carry Nutella, which ruined my gf's mood, which in turn ruined our evening. Ugh.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » May 26th, 2016, 7:43 am

Welcome to the "coops are bougie trash" bandwagon. Maybe it's just the two of us here so far.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » May 26th, 2016, 7:45 am

Haha, someone had a rough evening, huh? Sounds like you won't be going back since they don't have pre-made coleslaw (they do have sliced deli meats at the meat counter, btw, and they have 13 kinds of brats, I'm not sure why you need more), but if you do, they have much better versions of Nutella: either Buddy's chocolate peanut, or Justin's chocolate hazelnut.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 26th, 2016, 9:28 am

Hi, bougie trash here. I do nearly all of my shopping at the Seward Friendship store. Veggies and bulk. Veggies and bulk. Throw in some meat from the freezer which I buy in thousand dollar increments twice a year from Costco, and you have yourself a meal. Veggies and bulk.

winterfan
Metrodome

Postby winterfan » May 26th, 2016, 9:45 am

I'm not much of a coop fan either. I belong to the Wedge, but I rarely shop there. Sometimes I will stop in to get some bulk grains or beans, but that's not really enough to warrant a stop. Plus, they do not carry everything that I need, so I'd have to go to another grocery store anyway. Why waste the time and hassle?

I probably shop equally at Everett's and Kowalski's. I love Everett's meat selection and Kowalski's is good for produce and everything else. The people are friendly in both places and you're in and out.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » May 26th, 2016, 9:47 am

but if you do, they have much better versions of Nutella: either Buddy's chocolate peanut, or Justin's chocolate hazelnut.
Justin's is great, but it's insane to buy it at a coop. I was just in the Wedge and saw it "on sale" for around $13. :shock:

If you're going to buy a national brand like that, you might as well get it at Target for cheaper.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » May 26th, 2016, 9:59 am

Remember, the goal of coops in Minneapolis is not to provide products cheaply, it's to make rich white people feel better about their consumerism by hiding behind vague notions of green theater.

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » May 26th, 2016, 10:09 am

Remember, FISHMANPET doesn't know what he's talking about, but likes to yell at other people to make himself feel better.

Did I do that right? :)

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » May 26th, 2016, 10:18 am

The coop wars were about providing "normal" food at a lower cost, or providing "natural" food at a necessarily high price. The natural food coops won out, and all of the Twin Cities are of the natural foods variety, not the low cost variety.

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » May 26th, 2016, 10:20 am

I was just kidding with you. You are usually one who takes it well so I thought, "why not?"

I shop at Seward because it's 4 blocks from my house and I like the variety and quality of produce they have (Francique mangoes are delicious and Cub/Lunds/Kowalski's don't sell them, for example). I don't care if anyone else likes or dislikes it, except that they really upset some people for some reason so it's kind of fun to keep bringing them up.

twinkess
Target Field

Postby twinkess » May 26th, 2016, 11:05 am

Three of us!

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » May 26th, 2016, 11:07 am

Honestly I don't care if people shop at coops. I don't but that's my thing.

Really what bothers me is the naturalistic fallacies built up around coops and "organic" food and all that stuff. And then there's the green theater that "organic" food is "greener" when that's often not the case. And then for example, the last time I went to Seward the parking lot was filled with priuses, more Green theater!

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 26th, 2016, 11:09 am

But then you people whine about not being able to find your preferred Processed/Prepared Food at the co-op. Eat real food for a change. And organic if possible.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » May 26th, 2016, 11:10 am

I actively avoid organic if possible because it's a garbage designation.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » May 26th, 2016, 11:22 am

I actively avoid organic if possible because it's a garbage designation.
In what way? You're right that is says nothing about "green," whatever that vague term means. It is supposed to, at least, mean that there aren't a whole lot of pesticides & herbicides on it, which is why we buy organic.

And I'm not sure the Prius is "green theater." It at least gets much better mileage than most vehicles out there. I say this firmly believing Toyota is making a huge blunder, morally and economically, by not offering an electric option.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » May 26th, 2016, 11:31 am

Not having a ton of pesticides or herbicides would be a great reason to buy organic, if it was true!

In reality, there are plenty of pesticide and herbicides used. And since they have to be "organically approved" they're generally less specifically targetted and applied in higher amounts than in conventional farming. https://www.geneticliteracyproject.org/ ... -use-them/

The Prius is green theater because of all the energy put into the production of the battery and the car. If you drive an insane amount of mileage you come out ahead versus an ICE car, but the better actually green solution is to structure your life so you drive less. But that requires more substantive change, whereas buying a different car but not changing your lifestyle in any way is way easier.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 26th, 2016, 11:43 am

I'll drive my SUV to Taco Bell in honor of Peter.