Bicycle Infrastructure

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Bicycle Infrastructure

Postby talindsay » May 5th, 2016, 4:55 pm

Is the current bike lane really only 5"?
No, that would be exceedingly narrow.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » May 5th, 2016, 5:01 pm

oops :lol:

jimgreg
Block E

Postby jimgreg » May 5th, 2016, 6:00 pm

Yes one lane on Blaisdell from 31st to 40th with protected bike lane. http://www.minneapolismn.gov/bicycles/p ... MSP-171550 . I received an email when I inquired about emergency access:

Simon Blenski quoted from
Email:
Regarding emergency access, this is something that Public Works has carefully considered. The wider-than-typical 10' parking lane and the placement of the bollards in the middle of the bike lane buffer allows enough space for an emergency vehicle to overtake another vehicle. Should additional space be needed, the bollards are placed at 30' intervals, which allows emergency access into the buffer and bike lane area.
-end quote-

I hope this is happening---including the 29th-31st section...just loss of a couple of parking spaces in the 3000 block .

jimgreg
Block E

Postby jimgreg » May 5th, 2016, 6:01 pm

Yes one lane on Blaisdell from 31st to 40th with protected bike lane. http://www.minneapolismn.gov/bicycles/p ... MSP-171550 . I received an email when I inquired about emergency access:

Simon Blenski quoted from
Email:
Regarding emergency access, this is something that Public Works has carefully considered. The wider-than-typical 10' parking lane and the placement of the bollards in the middle of the bike lane buffer allows enough space for an emergency vehicle to overtake another vehicle. Should additional space be needed, the bollards are placed at 30' intervals, which allows emergency access into the buffer and bike lane area.
-end quote-

I hope this is happening---including the 29th-31st section...just loss of a couple of parking spaces in the 3000 block .

Here's the city page: http://www.minneapolismn.gov/bicycles/p ... MSP-171550

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » May 5th, 2016, 7:56 pm

Thats what i was thinking lol. I have been reading about smart growth, and one thing they talk about is how one ways are bad.

Blaisdale is a one-way south of Franklin. My only qualm with the one-way idea is that I worry that it will cause traffic to speed. Especially once they have more lanes. I crossed first very frequently, and I swear people drive really fast the way it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » May 5th, 2016, 8:38 pm

I'm less concerned about one-lane one-ways because a) it doesn't really allow cars to overtake each other, so the slowest wins out, and b) the buffer space can also be room for amenities like pedestrian islands... if Public Works ever comes up with a design they don't want to rip out.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » May 5th, 2016, 9:58 pm

Nuance is important. One ways aren't necessarily bad. Multi-lane one ways generally are always bad.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » May 5th, 2016, 11:11 pm

Nuance... I think I've heard of that before.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » May 6th, 2016, 7:28 am

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » May 6th, 2016, 9:19 am

Just hopping back in, but yeah, the Blaisdell bike lane really is that narrow. I mean, I may be off by a bit using both Google and the county's measuring tool, so maybe it's 6'. But every time I ride in it I'm shocked how terrible my options are, to be either inches from 35+ mph cars by staying on the asphalt, or ride closer to the gutter pan with all the terrible asphalt-concrete joint problems. I disagree there'd be no maneuver room for cars with 10.5' lanes. Most cars are 6-7' wide, leaving 1.5' to either side of them generally, and 3' if they were to move to the far left of the lane. I wonder how the current design allows for a minimum passing distance from bikes, both technically and practically. I disagree trucks are a major part of the traffic (counts from 2011 show just ~90 trucks out of ~2800 vehicles total in the hours of 7-9AM, 11:30-1:30, and 4:30-6:30), but we *do* actually have a designated N-S truck route 2,000 feet west of Blaisdell and an actual interstate 2,500' to the east.

I feel you, a one-lane design starts to shift traffic now so PW can use the space better in the future (heck, even some painted ped waiting areas at every cross street by narrowing the driving lane if they do the pole PBL would be nice). A one lane also limits speeds to the slowest driver. No option is perfect, and I'm not saying my suggestion was optimal. I actually do like your 1st Ave suggestion, but it'd have to come with a 20-25mph design along both Blaisdell and 1st.

[I've made this known before, but I favor making Nicollet from Grant to 31st be a street for bikes (up at sidewalk level), dedicated transit, and letting 1st/Blaisdell be for cars. People are already riding on Nicollet anyway (about as many two-way as 1st/Blaisdell combined, Nicollet reconstruction aside), in large part because the connections for Lasalle and 1st in downtown suck, and Nicollet is more direct (and comfortable) if you're heading to/from the heart of the CBD. But that "extend Nicollet Mall" discussion isn't relevant right now]

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » May 6th, 2016, 12:53 pm

[I've made this known before, but I favor making Nicollet from Grant to 31st be a street for bikes (up at sidewalk level), dedicated transit, and letting 1st/Blaisdell be for cars. People are already riding on Nicollet anyway (about as many two-way as 1st/Blaisdell combined, Nicollet reconstruction aside), in large part because the connections for Lasalle and 1st in downtown suck, and Nicollet is more direct (and comfortable) if you're heading to/from the heart of the CBD. But that "extend Nicollet Mall" discussion isn't relevant right now]
Yeah, I mean, if it were really all up to me (quick mockup):

20 foot sidewalks (~15 now), 12 foot bus/streetcar lanes, narrow buffers (or curbs), 6 foot bike lanes in the middle to minimize conflict with pedestrians/transit stops. Normally I wouldn't like this, but if the street is transit-only there would be very few opportunities to get hit on a right/left hook. Existing parking lots accessed by Nicollet would be accessible via alleys or redeveloped.

But even with Nicollet's light traffic, this design would objectively make 1st and Blaisdell less pleasant. Maybe that trade would be worth it? But maybe not.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » May 13th, 2016, 10:35 am

Tentative start date for Third Ave reconstruct: May 24th. http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/groups ... 179554.pdf

gpete
Union Depot

Postby gpete » June 3rd, 2016, 12:09 pm

Over the past year, the City closed down 29th Ave to car traffic where it crosses the Midtown Greenway. Apparently the City is now planning to re-open 29th Ave to northbound car traffic. See the note below from the Seward Neighborhood e-democracy forum:
The test closure of 29th Avenue at the Midtown Greenway has been in place
for a year, and the City of Minneapolis is proposing to reopen 29th Avenue
at the Greenway for northbound traffic. The City is also proposing to add
traffic calming features to several intersections along 29th Avenue and 24th
Street.

To learn more about the planned changes and have the opportunity to state
your opinion, attend the Seward Community Development Committee meeting on
June 14th at 7:00 p.m. at the Matthews Park building. For further
information, contact Doug Wise, SNG Housing Coordinator, at <email obscured> or
(612) 338-6205, ext. 102.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » June 3rd, 2016, 12:57 pm

Boo. It's been great to breeze through that intersection without worrying about cars.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » June 3rd, 2016, 5:04 pm

Yeah, why reopen this?

SkyScraperKid

Postby SkyScraperKid » June 3rd, 2016, 10:09 pm

I'd be completely fine with that idea IF Minnehaha Ave got upgrades.. either a grade separated crossing, or at least widening the road and building an actual protected bike refuge that is large enough for an entire bike! Plus putting up "Yield to bikes" signs giving them the right of way would be great!

jw138
Union Depot

Postby jw138 » June 9th, 2016, 6:54 pm

Looks like a last minute unplanned Nice Ride station just popped up on Nicollet & 37th right in front of Butter.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » June 10th, 2016, 8:16 am

To be removed in a week, just like the zebra-striped crosswalk at that corner? ZING.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » June 16th, 2016, 5:35 am

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » June 16th, 2016, 6:26 am

What? Why don't they just put up no parking signs? Problem solved.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.