Green Line LRT

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Re: Green Line (Central Corridor LRT)

Postby FISHMANPET » June 22nd, 2016, 10:03 am

A few weeks ago a new entrance was added to the Stadium Village Westbound platform. Now instead of accessing it from either end, you can also access the middle of the platform. I'm not really sure what the point is, but it saves me 10 or 15 seconds when I leave work now.

VAStationDude
US Bank Plaza

Postby VAStationDude » June 22nd, 2016, 10:17 am

Event queuing and loading?

BBMplsMN
Nicollet Mall

Postby BBMplsMN » June 22nd, 2016, 11:15 am

When do we get to use the added platform at the Nicollet Station that was built with the Nic on 5th?

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » June 22nd, 2016, 11:21 am

I think its just for show lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silophant

Postby Silophant » June 22nd, 2016, 1:56 pm

When the extensions open, I guess.

So... Possibly never?
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » June 28th, 2016, 12:40 pm

A retrospective on the Central Corridor Funders Collaborative
https://www.minnpost.com/politics-polic ... ight-and-w

While this nonprofit may have worked itself out of existence in eight years, David Markle will keep churning out Central Corridor commentary until the end of time.

nate
Landmark Center

Postby nate » June 29th, 2016, 6:12 pm

My westbound, afternoon trip home from work seems to be getting busier and busier this summer. Today there were 10-15 people standing in all three of the cars. The east end of the line seems to be holding its own pretty well on ridership.

David Greene
IDS Center

Re: Green Line (Central Corridor)

Postby David Greene » September 9th, 2016, 1:24 pm

Just had a super-annoying pedestrian experience at 5th and Cedar. I was at the NE corner waiting for the green light on Cedar to go red. An east-bound train pulled up and got the signal when Cedar went red. As it should. The train pulled through and then the Green went back to Cedar. Annoying, but whatever, I waited. Then a west-bound train arrived at the Central station. It got the next light phase as it should. By this point people were walking/running across the tracks in front of the west-bound train to the point that the operator blew the horn and probably reduced acceleration.

After the train went through Cedar got the green AGAIN. That's ridiculous. Apparently the signal resets itself after each LRT cycle.

C'mon, in my day this was sophomore-level digital logic design. It's probably freshman- or high-school-level now. It's super simple to just remember the phase of the signal before the LRT crosses and then resume at the next state once the train passes.

But I guess we're just that cheap.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » September 9th, 2016, 1:25 pm

Bizarre that they did this on the Green Line, since it caused so much hassle along Hiawatha until they finally fixed it to remember where in the cycle the lights were.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » September 9th, 2016, 2:25 pm

It does the same thing at W 7th. It's pretty rare but I've been stuck through the equivalent of 4 light cycles on my bike heading N/E on W 7th.

intercomnut
Rice Park

Postby intercomnut » November 5th, 2016, 4:57 pm

Metro Transit is testing safety and accessibility improvements at Raymond Avenue Station:

A tactile marker for where the front door of the train is.

Barriers to prevent people from falling between train cars.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » November 6th, 2016, 10:04 am

Hey, that's cool!

But I thought they couldn't do door markers, since the Type I and Type II LRVs have different door locations? Or does that not matter, since the Green Line uses only Type IIs?
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

mulad

Postby mulad » November 6th, 2016, 10:53 am

I've always figured that markings would be helpful even if they weren't exactly aligned.

You really want people to be standing a bit off to the side of the doors or a few feet back so that people can get off the train first and then have new riders get on. I think it would be better to use some paint for this, but maybe this will work alright too. Will people consider it part of the "yellow area" and stand back, or will the use it as a target to stand on? Probably both will happen, at least for a while.

intercomnut
Rice Park

Postby intercomnut » November 6th, 2016, 4:04 pm

Hey, that's cool!

But I thought they couldn't do door markers, since the Type I and Type II LRVs have different door locations? Or does that not matter, since the Green Line uses only Type IIs?
I don't think it will be a problem on the Green Line since it is all Type II. It will be interesting to see how they handle these on the Blue Line.
I've always figured that markings would be helpful even if they weren't exactly aligned.

You really want people to be standing a bit off to the side of the doors or a few feet back so that people can get off the train first and then have new riders get on. I think it would be better to use some paint for this, but maybe this will work alright too. Will people consider it part of the "yellow area" and stand back, or will the use it as a target to stand on? Probably both will happen, at least for a while.
Part of the reason these are being installed is so people who are blind can more easily find the doors. Having paint would not help them very much.

But I agree that this could pose a circulation problem. And if people stand on them, they'll be less useful for people who can't see them.

pwm94
Block E

Postby pwm94 » December 5th, 2016, 3:02 am

Can't get my photo to attach to this post....but snapped a pick a couple weeks ago of a 3-car train consisting of 2 Siemens Type II cars and one Bombardier Type I car. I'm assuming there must have been some sort of malfunction, and the Bombardier had to be towed.

Update: links to the pics added

[img][img]https://c4.staticflickr.com/6/5821/3131 ... a7a2_k.jpg[/img]IMG_0051 by Paul Mitchell, on Flickr[/img]

[img][img]https://c8.staticflickr.com/6/5606/3131 ... 6198_k.jpg[/img]IMG_0052 by Paul Mitchell, on Flickr[/img]

mulad

Postby mulad » December 5th, 2016, 4:48 pm

Looks like there are two trains there, on opposite tracks. It was probably a trick of the eyes due to the lamppost in the way.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » March 16th, 2017, 8:10 pm

Politico looks at how the Twin Cities put together LRT to link the two downtowns.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/ ... ail-214920

Nice long look.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » March 16th, 2017, 9:03 pm

Brings back lots of good memories. Thanks for sharing!

pwm94
Block E

Postby pwm94 » March 22nd, 2017, 3:14 pm

Anyone know why there are multiple Type I trains running on the Green Line today? I'm currently on one, and we just passed another.

DanPatchToget
Wells Fargo Center

Postby DanPatchToget » March 22nd, 2017, 4:27 pm

Was wondering the same. I saw four Type I trains on the Green Line today. My rides to/from St. Paul were on the Type I.