[Archived] Uptown Retail & Restaurant News 2012-17

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
David Greene
IDS Center

Re: Uptown Retail & Restaurant News

Postby David Greene » June 29th, 2016, 11:07 am

My point was just that taking a fairly large space and marketing it primarily toward a small segment of a group that already represents only 12-13 percent of the population could be tricky. As you said, it'll probably have to be marketed less as a "gay sports bar" and more something a little more inclusive, like "sports bar that happens to be gay friendly" or something.

Maybe I'm totally wrong, though?
I can imagine that in Uptown and probably lots of other places, plenty of straight people go to gay establishments. I can't say from experience since I've never been a bar/club kind of guy, period.

BBMplsMN
Nicollet Mall

Postby BBMplsMN » June 29th, 2016, 11:21 am

Confirmed with a friend who works for Salsa that it is closing and becoming Game Sportsbar
Will the volleyball court replace the parking lot? I really hope so. There's enough district parking in the area.
I could see a volleyball court taking up some of the parking lot, but they'd be foolish to get rid of that parking lot. It's one of the restaurant's biggest assets. While there is parking in the area, it's not the most obvious or convenient for that building. You have to be familiar with that area to know that there's a parking ramp and lot on the other side of the Greenway.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » June 29th, 2016, 12:05 pm

I just want to be clear that I have no issue with a gay sports bar. The concept sounds different and interesting, which are good things in general.

KML_1981
Nicollet Mall

Postby KML_1981 » June 30th, 2016, 9:18 am

This is going to be wildly successful

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » July 1st, 2016, 4:16 pm

La La Homemade Ice Cream is hoping to open at 3146 Hennepin Ave

http://minneapolismn.gov/www/groups/pub ... 182349.pdf

jw138
Union Depot

Postby jw138 » July 6th, 2016, 3:00 pm

It's Greek To Me is being sold:

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... lling.html

I'm not a subscriber so have no further details. Lets hope we don't have another vacant property in LynLake.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » July 6th, 2016, 4:15 pm

Was just talking to the SO the other day about how weird it is that Uptown doesn't have an ice cream shop.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » July 6th, 2016, 10:01 pm

It's Greek To Me is being sold:

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... lling.html

I'm not a subscriber so have no further details. Lets hope we don't have another vacant property in LynLake.
Can we get this Orff & Joralemon landmark on the historic register already? I imagine anyone with an ounce of smarts would renovate the storefronts and move the kitchen out of the street frontage.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » July 7th, 2016, 6:41 am

Was just talking to the SO the other day about how weird it is that Uptown doesn't have an ice cream shop.

Also weird how dead Hennepin is south of 31st! There's so much density in southern CARAG (between 34th & 36th is unreal along Dupont, Emerson, etc.) Even though Hennepin (dead)ends at 36th, you'd think the surrounding density and incomes would support more activity at the little mini-nodes on Hennepin at 32nd and 34th.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » July 7th, 2016, 9:20 am

The Dunn Bros. at 34th is a giant black hole. That can't be helping things.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » July 7th, 2016, 11:00 am

Apparently we don't like them! There have been a couple over years....there was Cold Stone, and also Blue Sky or something over by Irving and Lake. Both closed. There is Yogurt Lab.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » July 7th, 2016, 11:12 am

We're past peak FroYo. And it's not ice cream anyway. I'm thinking Yogurt Lab will be closed within a year.

I remember both the Cold Stone and Blue Sky. Blue Sky wasn't very good and was a bit out of the way. I was mildly surprised that Cold Stone closed but I'd prefer to see a local producer anyway. Izzy's could do great, or better yet, a new independent shop.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » July 7th, 2016, 11:28 am

I like yogurt lab!

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » July 7th, 2016, 12:04 pm

Also weird how dead Hennepin is south of 31st! There's so much density in southern CARAG (between 34th & 36th is unreal along Dupont, Emerson, etc.) Even though Hennepin (dead)ends at 36th, you'd think the surrounding density and incomes would support more activity at the little mini-nodes on Hennepin at 32nd and 34th.
Not that weird, though. But for a narrow band (only the half block's worth) of C1/OR1 along Hennepin from 31st to 33rd, everything else is basically low-density residential. We've literally got R2B parcels fronting Hennepin on both sides for most of the 3400 block. For a city with a "density on transit corridors" policy, Hennepin through this stretch is vastly under-zoned. The 6 remains high-frequency to 36th St and you also get the 23 bolstering that northbound to UTS. Basically, commercial activity exists exactly where it's zoned and not where it's not.

scottiem
City Center

Postby scottiem » July 7th, 2016, 12:13 pm

There are a few ice cream shows around. Sonny's Ice Cream on 34th/Lyndale, Sebastian Joe's on Franklin/Hennepin, and Milkjam on 28th/Lyndale. Still, these might be considered 'greater uptown' or something rather than uptown proper--just throwing 'em out there cause they're only a short walk away.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » July 7th, 2016, 12:25 pm

Never even heard of Milkjam. Sonny's and Joe's are staples but I wouldn't consider them to be in Uptown. Even Milkjam is a stretch. I don't think a lot of people coming from the 'burbs to the bars in Uptown are going to stroll to LynLake or points further for ice cream.

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » July 7th, 2016, 12:26 pm

Not that weird, though. But for a narrow band (only the half block's worth) of C1/OR1 along Hennepin from 31st to 33rd, everything else is basically low-density residential. We've literally got R2B parcels fronting Hennepin on both sides for most of the 3400 block. For a city with a "density on transit corridors" policy, Hennepin through this stretch is vastly under-zoned. The 6 remains high-frequency to 36th St and you also get the 23 bolstering that northbound to UTS. Basically, commercial activity exists exactly where it's zoned and not where it's not.
Exactly. We have designed the city to be dead here.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » July 7th, 2016, 12:39 pm

Milkjam is probably the best local ice cream place right now, and no doubt people are coming from faraway to get it.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » July 7th, 2016, 1:51 pm

Exactly. We have designed the city to be dead here.
Eh. I kinda have a theory developing that extant commercial buildings are a much greater predictor of where commercial activity locates than zoning is. Pretty hard for small businesses to open in commercial buildings that don't exist ;). This theory is bolstered by the various bustling business nodes in otherwise non-busy areas with very low traffic counts (see 46th & Grand, 38th & Grand, etc.) There are all sorts of former streetcar nodes/termini that have waaay more business than one would "normally" expect, based on (lack of) surrounding density, traffic counts, etc. South Hennepin has a lack of existing commercial buildings more so than a lack of commercial zoning. Besides the few businesses that are already around, it just doesn't have much available space to offer, even though the demographics and density probably do support more commercial activity. Anyone know if there used to be more old "streetcar" commercial buildings near Hennepin & 36th?

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » July 7th, 2016, 1:54 pm

Eh. I kinda have a theory developing that extant commercial buildings are a much greater predictor of where commercial activity will be located than zoning.
How boringly unprovocative.