U.S. Bank Stadium

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Chip Whitley
Metrodome

Re: U.S. Bank Stadium Construction Updates

Postby Chip Whitley » July 6th, 2016, 1:17 pm

The only panels I see that are actually peeling off are the ones that were recently put on and have been having problems in the past. What am I missing? What looks like shit? Are we forgetting that our previous stadium here literally collapsed a couple times?
The exterior of the building is complete, no? Look at the pic below. Call you what you want but to me, it's pretty shitty for a brand new billion+ stadium to effectively fail and take damage from its first relatively routine thunderstorm. I'm not sure what the Metrodome has to do with any of this.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » July 6th, 2016, 6:40 pm

First off, a routine thunderstorm doesn't make national news like last nights did. Second, they've been having problems with that part of the stadium, the highest most wind hitting point, for a bit now. See my pictures above. Although I agree that it probably shouldn't be happening, I know that construction materials (even the best ones) do fail from time to time. Especially when they haven't had time to settle and sit before the weather hits.

Chip Whitley
Metrodome

Postby Chip Whitley » July 6th, 2016, 8:15 pm

First off, a routine thunderstorm doesn't make national news like last nights did. Second, they've been having problems with that part of the stadium, the highest most wind hitting point, for a bit now. See my pictures above. Although I agree that it probably shouldn't be happening, I know that construction materials (even the best ones) do fail from time to time. Especially when they haven't had time to settle and sit before the weather hits.
Yesterday's storms were fairly routine as far as the conditions that the stadium experienced. Yes, some parts of the metro and state received severe straight-line winds but downtown did not. I'm not sure what your source for the 67mph gust is. It's not entirely impossible but there's no official weather station downtown. The nearest is the airport which received a max gust of 49mph yesterday. Regardless, a 60mph+ wind gust is bound to happen to several times a year.

My point is that this is the effectively the first bad weather the stadium received and it took a noticeable amount of exterior damage. The damage wasn't limited to the western side of the stadium either. As posted earlier, the north side of the stadium got some damage too. I realize that things will fail from time to time but it couldn't even pass its first test. I'm not a construction expert but I don't think mounting these zinc panels use a super exotic construction method. I'm not sure giving it more time to "settle" would matter. We're talking about metal, not freshly poured concrete.

Maybe I'm rambling, it's just a somewhat disappointing sight. I feel like these panels will keep being an issue. Sure the Metrodome failed a few times but that was under unusual loads of snow, the new stadium couldn't survive its first severe thunderstorm without damage.

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Postby Tiller » July 7th, 2016, 5:01 am

As someone who's been installing panels like these for a living, this was either because of a screw up (or several) somewhere along the line that they're still working on finding (or fixing if they've found the mistakes), or it was just a few defective panels. Given the amount of paneling here, and that this is a special system, I'm suprised there haven't been more problems.

Also, having to tear down entire sections of wall (or entire walls) like what happened previously can happen because of relatively few problematic panels. I haven't spoken to anyone who's been working on the stadium though, so I'm not sure what the scale of problems has been.

Edit: So yeah there's no need to panic. This shit happens all the time.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » July 7th, 2016, 7:19 am

the storm from two nights ago was not "routine". we had to have had gusts over 50 mph in south mpls. but then again my vinyl siding didn't come loose.

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Postby Tiller » July 8th, 2016, 11:02 am

I asked around a bit and they had to tear off that giant chunk of wall paneling because one of the gutters was leaking (Yay water damage), so it wasn't the panels at all. Someone still made a million dollar mistake though, either when installing the gutters, or damaging them afterwards.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » July 11th, 2016, 12:00 pm

The horn sculpture is going in, looks pretty cool. Also the bike path along the south side of the stadium into the plaza is really nice.

SkyScraperKid

Postby SkyScraperKid » July 11th, 2016, 4:17 pm

the storm from two nights ago was not "routine". we had to have had gusts over 50 mph in south mpls. but then again my vinyl siding didn't come loose.
Yes, and my inflatable snowman never collapsed during a big snow storm. Good quality products come from China these days. What is your point Mullen?

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » July 11th, 2016, 5:03 pm

What's yours?

nBode
Union Depot

Postby nBode » July 11th, 2016, 8:05 pm

As I've heard, the fault was due to the cladding utilizing a locally-isolated system to account for/mitigate thermal expansion within the wall system. This makes each panel, however, relatively weak compared to the panel system as a whole. I'm guessing this type of cladding hasn't been used on such a massive building before—as Tiller said, this structure is pretty unique.

SkyScraperKid

Postby SkyScraperKid » July 11th, 2016, 9:27 pm

What's yours?

Oh I thought it was pretty clear. Comparing home construction to the US Bank Stadium is silly. Like comparing an inflatable snowman to the Metrodome's inflatable roof. Didn't think I had to spell that one out but sorry for making it too complicated.

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » July 13th, 2016, 9:27 pm

Whats up with this. I thaught the stadium did not open until july.

Not according to the timeline on the vikings site. Any one have any info?

http://www.usbankstadium.com/about-the- ... /timeline/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silophant

Postby Silophant » July 13th, 2016, 9:45 pm

It is July.

I believe VIP tours start Friday, with tours for the proles starting next weekend.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » July 13th, 2016, 10:04 pm

Sad. I actually was hoping to get inside the stadium on Friday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » July 14th, 2016, 6:00 am

What's yours?

Oh I thought it was pretty clear. Comparing home construction to the US Bank Stadium is silly. Like comparing an inflatable snowman to the Metrodome's inflatable roof. Didn't think I had to spell that one out but sorry for making it too complicated.
it was just a joke dude I realize it's apples and oranges.

nBode
Union Depot

Postby nBode » July 14th, 2016, 8:08 am

It is July.

I believe VIP tours start Friday, with tours for the proles starting next weekend.
The Grand Opening & Ribbon Cutting Ceremony is definitely next Friday, though. I'm surprised they aren't using that date.

moda253
Nicollet Mall

Postby moda253 » July 14th, 2016, 11:12 am

$300k to study if birds are crashing into the windows.....

matthew5080
Rice Park

Postby matthew5080 » July 14th, 2016, 11:18 am

Money well spent.

SkyScraperKid

Postby SkyScraperKid » July 14th, 2016, 12:33 pm

$300k to study if birds are crashing into the windows.....

It's a ...um... Very Complex Study

HuskyGrad
Union Depot

Postby HuskyGrad » July 20th, 2016, 8:43 am

There was a window that looked like one of the landscaping rocks was thrown through it on the north side of the stadium this morning.