The Commons - Downtown East Park

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
uncle phil
Metrodome

Re: The Commons - Downtown East Park

Postby uncle phil » July 21st, 2016, 8:27 am

There is an area of Gold Medal Park that SHOULD be re-sodded often due to the damage from dog piss...

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » July 21st, 2016, 8:52 am

I was bragging, by the way.

intercomnut
Rice Park

Postby intercomnut » July 21st, 2016, 10:59 am

I was bragging, by the way.
I know, and I am sincerely agreeing with your bragging :D

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » July 21st, 2016, 11:37 am

Started to go check it out. It was too hot. Still not sure there will be anything to do in this park.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » July 21st, 2016, 12:07 pm

Throw around a Frisbee, read a book, drink some water, eat lunch, study, do yoga, etc. Not much different than Gold Medal.

J2K
Metrodome

Postby J2K » July 21st, 2016, 12:54 pm

The most pavement/pavers I've ever seen in a park. They should've checked out Mears park in stp...

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » July 21st, 2016, 1:09 pm

I kind of agree...though I know it isn't done yet, and there are later phases. Though, we were initially just supposed to get grass until they could get the funds together, so I guess this is a good start.

MattW
Rice Park

Postby MattW » July 21st, 2016, 3:22 pm

When I was walking through the park on Tuesday, I was hoping to myself that they wouldn't "upgrade" anything. I like that it's relatively simple and not overdone. Just a really nice open space downtown.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » July 21st, 2016, 3:28 pm

I just think the big blank spaces along 4th with the semi hard finished surface for "future programming" are odd. I feel like maybe they should have just made them grass for the time being.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » July 22nd, 2016, 6:19 am

The most pavement/pavers I've ever seen in a park. They should've checked out Mears park in stp...
how large is this "great lawn" in the commons park? nothing like that in mears park. mostly hard surface there. granted there isn't a fake stream that isn't working half the time, but...

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » July 25th, 2016, 6:57 am

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 18th, 2016, 3:08 pm

ImageDSC_0425 by grant.simons, on Flickr

matthew5080
Rice Park

Postby matthew5080 » August 18th, 2016, 4:02 pm

That's a great shot!

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » August 19th, 2016, 8:46 am

The fences are down on the second block, although it looks like they are still doing finishing touches. Walked through this morning. The park certainly looks nice, and will be great for the residents of the Edition, but I'm still concerned about what people will do in it when there aren't events at the stadium or food truck out for workday lunches.

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » August 19th, 2016, 9:20 am

The fences are down on the second block, although it looks like they are still doing finishing touches. Walked through this morning. The park certainly looks nice, and will be great for the residents of the Edition, but I'm still concerned about what people will do in it when there aren't events at the stadium or food truck out for workday lunches.
When I worked nearby I would often walk down to Gold Medal Park for lunch. Seems like the Wells Fargo crowd could go down at lunch and throw a frisbee, etc. but beyond that...

I think that I've said somewhere in this thread that this was a genius move by Ryan to "give" this park to whoever would take it which at once abdicated the maintenance for the park while giving the appearance of being beneficent/charitable but in fact, this park would become a de facto park for the adjacent residential buildings during the 357 days a year when NFL football is not being played at US Bank Stadium.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » August 19th, 2016, 10:14 am

I assume they'll do the same things that people all around the city do during unprogrammed times at their local park.

Sacrelicio
Union Depot

Postby Sacrelicio » August 19th, 2016, 10:18 am

I think just having green space downtown is nice and you don't have to have any real programming to have a decent park.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » August 19th, 2016, 10:50 am

I assume they'll do the same things that people all around the city do during unprogrammed times at their local park.
Will they? At the moment, anyway, there's almost no playground equipment. There's no water to play in or look at. There are no sports facilities. There are only a few mature trees to hang a hammock from. And there aren't all that many residents for whom this is the closest park.

Anyway, it will be fine during the day on weekdays, especially if they can expand the food truck offering, but it is going to need a reason for people to go there on evenings and weekends.

sushisimo
Landmark Center

Postby sushisimo » August 19th, 2016, 11:20 am

Exactly. We bitch when we don't have green space, and then we bitch when we do. #theminneapolisway

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » August 19th, 2016, 11:58 am

Anyway, it will be fine during the day on weekdays, especially if they can expand the food truck offering, but it is going to need a reason for people to go there on evenings and weekends.
Which is to say, it'll be active when there are plenty of people downtown, and relatively deserted when downtown is deserted.

So... not so much a problem with the park as with the neighborhood.