U.S. Bank Stadium

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Re: U.S. Bank Stadium Construction Updates

Postby bapster2006 » July 24th, 2016, 8:35 am

Looks like the broken window is fixed already. I walked around the whole thing. It's a fun event with the music.

gobezlij
City Center

Postby gobezlij » July 24th, 2016, 11:36 am

The seats seemed a bit flimsy. Nice event though.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » July 24th, 2016, 12:27 pm

Lots of polka music this morning. Poor connection to the park currently, but maybe that will change once all fencing is down. Will event screening always be as it was today? I hadn't imagined you'd wait in a crush of people on Chicago avenue and was surprised by that.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Rube Dali
Nicollet Mall

Postby Rube Dali » July 24th, 2016, 2:54 pm

Lots of polka music this morning. Poor connection to the park currently, but maybe that will change once all fencing is down. Will event screening always be as it was today? I hadn't imagined you'd wait in a crush of people on Chicago avenue and was surprised by that.
I happened to see most people were trying to get in through a small number of gates, which resulted in a potential crush. When I got in at around 11:30 this morning, there were only a few people in the line I was in. I did experience one choke point during my tour, that was getting down from the upper concourse. There's a little unfinished business there. Other than that, the only thing that was a disappointment was the low of concession stands that were open, as well as the lack of variety. Just hot dogs and brats? I did sample some of Lola's Wings waiting to go in and it was delicious.

Unlike most of you, I wasn't expecting a lot of decor inside, especially the ceilings on the main concourse. Remember, it's only been open for a few days, they'll be more additions of the next few years(mostly advertising, but hey, what can you do).

I was very impressed with the size of the scoreboards on both ends of the field, I was also surprised with how they're integrated with the seating bowl for support. Also thought that the sound system was good. The seats I found were a little snug for my large frame, but they do their job. I also happened to like how they're not bolted to the bowl, but through steel rails. Still they make me wonder how they'll fare when 70,000 seats are needed for Super Bowl LII.
Buildings, what buildings?

Carson Dyle
City Center

Postby Carson Dyle » July 24th, 2016, 3:25 pm

The seats I found were a little snug for my large frame, but they do their job. I also happened to like how they're not bolted to the bowl, but through steel rails. Still they make me wonder how they'll fare when 70,000 seats are needed for Super Bowl LII.
I'm not sure what there is to like about that. If the Vikings decide they want to sell another 4000 seats in the future, they'll just crush them all together tighter. Taking hints from the airline industry, I guess.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » July 24th, 2016, 6:31 pm

I was surprised to see manual toilets and sinks. What did we spend a billion dollars on, exactly?
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » July 24th, 2016, 8:05 pm

The seats I found were a little snug for my large frame, but they do their job. I also happened to like how they're not bolted to the bowl, but through steel rails. Still they make me wonder how they'll fare when 70,000 seats are needed for Super Bowl LII.
I'm not sure what there is to like about that. If the Vikings decide they want to sell another 4000 seats in the future, they'll just crush them all together tighter. Taking hints from the airline industry, I guess.
this flexibility was put in for big events like the super bowl and final four. the vikings' won't be selling another 4,000 seats.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » July 25th, 2016, 10:50 am

The other way to look at it is, the next time they're facing a blackout because they can't sell all the seats, they can just remove some seats and give everybody more space. In twenty years it can be a 30,000 seat stadium.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » July 25th, 2016, 10:53 am

That blackout rule was overturned in court last year.

VikingFaninMaryland
Nicollet Mall

Postby VikingFaninMaryland » July 25th, 2016, 11:30 am

That blackout rule was overturned in court last year.
It was not "overturned in court." The NLF allowed it to expire as was no longer needed. There was no court ruling or legal finding leading to the decision to suspend the black-out rule.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » July 25th, 2016, 11:45 am

National League of Fittymittles

maxbaby
Landmark Center

Postby maxbaby » July 25th, 2016, 2:04 pm

I was surprised to see manual toilets and sinks. What did we spend a billion dollars on, exactly?
You are seriously bitching about manual toilet flushers. My God.

Record Machine
Metrodome

Postby Record Machine » July 25th, 2016, 2:57 pm

In all honesty I wish they would bring back troughs. So much more efficient.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » July 25th, 2016, 3:09 pm

I hope you're kidding...

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » July 25th, 2016, 3:13 pm

In all honesty I wish they would bring back troughs. So much more efficient.
Like them or not, troughs are way more efficient. But guys get so weirded out by them, that they won't ever use them anymore. I for one have ZERO issues with manual flushers on the urinals or toilets - seems that's rather smart. Since each one needs a battery. So not only does it save on costs - it's better for the environment.

I personally loved the new stadium. I'm not a football fan and will never go to a Vikings game. But I do hope to see other venues play inside this new space. It's so open and so bright! It really made me proud to be from Minnesota and live in Minneapolis.

Carson Dyle
City Center

Postby Carson Dyle » July 25th, 2016, 3:25 pm

Hiawatha, I don't think "venue" means what you think it means. But I get what you're saying.

I wonder how the football season will affect what events they'll be willing to schedule in the stadium from August through January. They can do some amazing things in rearranging the floor and playing surface, but it's not always fast or easily done. Switching back and forth in a matter of days has risks.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » July 25th, 2016, 3:34 pm

The troughs were good. RIP troughs.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » July 25th, 2016, 3:35 pm

I noticed when I was finishing up my tour that they had a crew starting to lay down the interlocking floor grid over the turf, which surprised me because I thought the next event in the space was going to be the soccer match. Perhaps there's still some finishing work that will require them to be driving over the field surface?

It also occurred to me that the retractable bleachers on the NE side of the stadium could allow for some interesting configurations for concerts. However, a quick check of the Luke Bryan concert seating layout shows the stage set up in the downtown-facing endzone.

Carson Dyle
City Center

Postby Carson Dyle » July 25th, 2016, 4:18 pm

I noticed when I was finishing up my tour that they had a crew starting to lay down the interlocking floor grid over the turf, which surprised me because I thought the next event in the space was going to be the soccer match. Perhaps there's still some finishing work that will require them to be driving over the field surface?
Was that before the grand opening ceremony? Because they laid that surface for that event. They had a number of large trucks and lifts come out onto that floor with stage and sound equipment, then they set up the stage and dining tables on top of it.

What surface will they use for this upcoming soccer match? I'd heard they would lay natural grass for some matches.
It also occurred to me that the retractable bleachers on the NE side of the stadium could allow for some interesting configurations for concerts. However, a quick check of the Luke Bryan concert seating layout shows the stage set up in the downtown-facing endzone.
The seating charts I've seen show the stage in the west end zone. So the stage itself faces east, with its back to downtown.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » July 25th, 2016, 4:22 pm

This was late on Sunday. I guess it's possible that I misinterpreted and they were pulling it up and not putting it down...