North Loop Neighborhood

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Re: North Loop Neighborhood

Postby mister.shoes » August 2nd, 2016, 9:26 am

Can we get rid of those dipshit viaducts already? Ugh.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » August 2nd, 2016, 9:59 am

I wonder what the ~10k SF in the interior of the building would be... nearly zero windows to the outside. It would really have to be a destination that can generate its own traffic, not something which would draw people in. Is that the crossfit idea? Are those places really that big?
Yes, they're envisioning it for the Crossfit gym. The illustrations show a "FIT" sign over the entry door to that space.

This may be a mediocre project, but it's mixed use, it interacts reasonably well with the street, and all of its parking is proposed to be underground, so it seems overall pretty positive even if it looks kind of ugly in the drawings. But then I like this kind of infill generally, when the details are mostly right.

Side note: I wonder if the crossfit gym would be tax-exempt, since as far as I can tell Crossfit is a religion.

maxbaby
Landmark Center

Postby maxbaby » August 2nd, 2016, 6:01 pm

Can we get rid of those dipshit viaducts already? Ugh.
Just plant 30' hedges all along them and it will be alright.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 4th, 2016, 1:25 pm

When will North Loop get some banks/ATMs moving in? In a very affluent neighborhood like this, I find it surprising that there's not much more than a Sunrise Bank. Some of you may disagree with me, but it would be nice to see at least some ATMs for the major banks. Wells Fargo, US Bank, TCF, BoA, etc.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » August 4th, 2016, 3:28 pm

Tech firm When I Work moves HQ west
http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... enter.html
*Subscriber Content*

Gist:
Tech company When I Work will move its headquarters from St. Paul to larger digs in Minneapolis after signing a sublease for 28,000 square feet in the Ford Center.

When I Work has more than 100 employees and expects to add 75 more over the next year, including positions in engineering and product management.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 7th, 2016, 1:59 pm

Sacrelicio
Union Depot

Postby Sacrelicio » August 8th, 2016, 8:57 am

When will North Loop get some banks/ATMs moving in? In a very affluent neighborhood like this, I find it surprising that there's not much more than a Sunrise Bank. Some of you may disagree with me, but it would be nice to see at least some ATMs for the major banks. Wells Fargo, US Bank, TCF, BoA, etc.
Also a drug store chain would be awesome. I work in NL, it's a great neighborhood but some of the basic amenities are lacking.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » August 8th, 2016, 10:14 am

Minneapolis has a puzzling paucity of drug stores. In downtown DC there was a CVS on literally every block in the vicinity of my office.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » August 8th, 2016, 11:53 am

Since I appreciate alliteration, I enjoyed everything about your previous post. "Puzzling paucity" provides a pleasing plethora of linguistic larks.

Sacrelicio
Union Depot

Postby Sacrelicio » August 8th, 2016, 12:42 pm

Minneapolis has a puzzling paucity of drug stores. In downtown DC there was a CVS on literally every block in the vicinity of my office.
For any drug store need I have to go to Nicollet Mall, which isn't always easy. If I lived in North Loop I'd be pretty annoyed by that. I think our urban neighborhoods have a little ways to go in the "day to day livability" department.

swallman
Metrodome

Postby swallman » August 15th, 2016, 11:47 am

For any drug store need I have to go to Nicollet Mall, which isn't always easy. If I lived in North Loop I'd be pretty annoyed by that. I think our urban neighborhoods have a little ways to go in the "day to day livability" department.
My wife and I have lived in the North Loop for the past 2 years (and just signed a lease for another year - just didn't want to lose another summer to moving!)...that being said we think we'll be moving to another area of the city next year. They need more amenities - banks, pharmacy, grocery (Whole Foods doesn't cut it because there's a lot we can't buy there)...more "basic" restaurants (can't afford to eat at Smack Shack, etc. all the time). I know some of that is being worked on but for the most part all I see going up is apartment buildings and office space (not a ton of commercial for what we're looking for).

I think in maybe 5 years or so the NL would be more fully developed into a more livable neighborhood...

Just our opinions, observations...

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » August 15th, 2016, 12:31 pm

My wife and I have lived in the North Loop for the past 2 years (and just signed a lease for another year - just didn't want to lose another summer to moving!)...that being said we think we'll be moving to another area of the city next year. They need more amenities - banks, pharmacy, grocery (Whole Foods doesn't cut it because there's a lot we can't buy there)...more "basic" restaurants (can't afford to eat at Smack Shack, etc. all the time). I know some of that is being worked on but for the most part all I see going up is apartment buildings and office space (not a ton of commercial for what we're looking for).

I think in maybe 5 years or so the NL would be more fully developed into a more livable neighborhood...

Nailed it.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » August 15th, 2016, 2:01 pm

That makes sense. I'm not sure 5 years will be long enough for it to be fully developed/redeveloped but it'll likely be that much more livable by then. The retail will follow as people continue to move in and visit the North Loop from out of town/state.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 15th, 2016, 2:40 pm

Also height. Can't have those buildings over 6 stories right???

Sacrelicio
Union Depot

Postby Sacrelicio » August 15th, 2016, 2:48 pm

Yeah it seems like the point of a neighborhood like that is that you can walk to a lot of things and take short bike/transit trips if needed. If the whole place is boutiques and pricey restaurants it doesn't work so well.

swallman
Metrodome

Postby swallman » August 15th, 2016, 3:15 pm

Yeah it seems like the point of a neighborhood like that is that you can walk to a lot of things and take short bike/transit trips if needed. If the whole place is boutiques and pricey restaurants it doesn't work so well.
That's sort of why we moved to the city (from very small town Wisconsin lol)...and living here in the NL we still find ourselves driving a lot. So our plan for the next year is to do a better job checking out neighborhoods, buildings, etc. that we might want to consider...currently Uptown seems to be winning...

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 15th, 2016, 9:08 pm

It's still your choice to drive a lot. North Loop may not have all the chain/commercial/conveniences of a good urban neighborhood yet, but it does have corner stores, a Whole Foods on the edge and a border with the core of downtown.

Anyways, all these problems can be solved with the new neighborhood of North Washington :D

ImageNew Northh by grant.simons, on Flickr

ImageNew North by grant.simons, on Flickr

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 15th, 2016, 9:15 pm

Throw in a couple... hundred... set backs and you could be onto something!

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » August 15th, 2016, 9:25 pm

Primo skyline views in the making!

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » August 16th, 2016, 8:58 am

It's still your choice to drive a lot. North Loop may not have all the chain/commercial/conveniences of a good urban neighborhood yet, but it does have corner stores, a Whole Foods on the edge and a border with the core of downtown.

Anyways, all these problems can be solved with the new neighborhood of North Washington :D

ImageNew Northh by grant.simons, on Flickr

ImageNew North by grant.simons, on Flickr
"Too tall. Not in character with this quiet residential neighborhood. Also, shadowing is a problem. Too much traffic will be generated by this out of scale development. I assume that these are all parking ramps but I feel like there isn't enough parking."
-Long term resident