Target Center Renovation

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
David Greene
IDS Center

Re: Target Center Renovation

Postby David Greene » March 18th, 2016, 12:43 pm

Nice photobomb of Target Field. Though I guess it doesn't matter. :)

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » March 18th, 2016, 1:56 pm

I have been wondering about the green as well. It's glossy on the renderings so it makes me wonder. It actually wouldn't be that far fetched for it to be lake superior green granite. If they're doing the local source thing.

Mcgizz
Nicollet Mall

Postby Mcgizz » March 19th, 2016, 4:23 pm

Cambria, the official counter top and cheap knock off of 'real stone' sponsor of your Minnesota Timberwolves.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » March 19th, 2016, 4:48 pm

Praise be to the knock off!!

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » March 20th, 2016, 11:19 am

Isn't Quartz more expensive and better than "real stone"?

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » March 20th, 2016, 9:35 pm

yes and yes
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » March 20th, 2016, 10:17 pm

Does Cambria have an association with the Timberwolves. Maybe they will be using some quarts panels that Cambria will make for them. Use that as a test for a new exterior product line to expand their bottom line.

Mcgizz
Nicollet Mall

Postby Mcgizz » March 21st, 2016, 7:12 am

Does Cambria have an association with the Timberwolves. Maybe they will be using some quarts panels that Cambria will make for them. Use that as a test for a new exterior product line to expand their bottom line.

I was making a joke.

Mcgizz
Nicollet Mall

Postby Mcgizz » March 21st, 2016, 7:22 am

Isn't Quartz more expensive and better than "real stone"?
Yes, quartz is more expensive. Better? It depends on personal preferences really. There are pros and cons of both natural granite and quartz. To simply ask which one is better is really a personal preference. Quartz will almost always cost more, but requires less yearly maintenance. Although, you can get away with little maintenance with granite these days. I was simply making a joke of how often you hear Cambria ads during sporting events here in Minnesota. Cambria will most definitely not be making panels for the exterior of this building as quartz will discolor in UV light.

MN Fats
Union Depot

Postby MN Fats » March 23rd, 2016, 11:14 am

New image and short video released which show the new scoreboard to be installed.

http://www.nba.com/timberwolves/target- ... lay-boards

rsmj20
Block E

Postby rsmj20 » March 26th, 2016, 10:48 pm

Would like to see Bullseye the dog replaced with a large freestanding, red-illuminated Target logo.

VAStationDude
US Bank Plaza

Postby VAStationDude » August 20th, 2016, 10:59 am

Work has begun. The 6th & 1st entrance closes August 22.

karlshea
Nicollet Mall

Postby karlshea » August 20th, 2016, 4:31 pm

I've been to the Target Center three times now since I moved up here and the security people always look and act like it's the first crowd they've ever seen. Yelling at people about forming lines when there are stanchions sitting unused in corners, opening and closing entrances, and wide-eyed panic. Are they all just terrible or is this a problem with the building?

I'm used to the Bradley Center in Milwaukee which is just about the same capacity and there are never any issues.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » August 23rd, 2016, 3:57 pm

Would like to see Bullseye the dog replaced with a large freestanding, red-illuminated Target logo.
An animatronic Bullseye that does flips when the Wolves or Lynx win.

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » January 17th, 2017, 10:40 am

Target Center Renovation Cost Climbs Back To $150 Million
The city’s report indicates that the team will “guarantee the payment” of costs covering seat replacement and a new skyway, estimated to cost $6.5 million.

According to the report: “The team will also finance and pay for all additional costs related to certain other scope changes and improvements they and/or the design group desire (e.g. video ribbon board, wi-fi, upgrades to certain finishes, team store, additional digital video signs in arena, locker room upgrades) that are currently estimated at $7 million.”

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » January 17th, 2017, 11:46 am

I went to my first Timberwolves game in a couple years a few weeks ago, and wow, Target Center really is terrible. Compared to our other stadiums it's totally out of date. Worn, faded chairs. Long swaths of blank concrete corridors. Concessions barely a step up from a high school. This place needs a lot of work.

With Zygi's arrival on the scene it's gotten kind of outdated to bash Glen Taylor, but this guy has put a terrible product on the floor for more than a decade, has arguably the worst public subsidy of any of our arenas, and is only willing to put in ~$50 million for the vital upgrades. He's easily our worst local sports owner.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » January 17th, 2017, 11:53 am

Our "worst local sports owner" has supported the Lynx and the WNBA for a long time despite miserable issues with the league figuring out how to market women's basketball as a major sport. His long and seemingly unwavering support has paid off with national championships and I believe the Lynx are finally financially stable, while many teams that faced similar issues failed due to unwillingness of owners to take a long-term view and support women's sports. So sure, Glen Taylor is "terrible" because he's not investing piles of money in the Timberwolves; but maybe that's because he's been using some of that profit to back up and support the WNBA and the Lynx. To me, that's a good tradeoff and I'm glad he's done it. There are successful NBA teams all over the country competing for hundreds of millions of dollars, but a WNBA team with an $800K payroll would be hard pressed to find better support.

twinkess
Target Field

Postby twinkess » January 17th, 2017, 12:36 pm

Where does the new skyway go/ which one are they replacing?

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » January 17th, 2017, 1:04 pm

It'd be a good tradeoff if it was actually a tradeoff. There's no evidence at all to suggest the Timberwolves failures have anything to do with the Lynx's success.

And further, there's little to suggest that the Lynx's success has any great deal to do with Glen Taylor's ownership. The Lynx, like the Timberwolves, were inept and largely ignored, but lucked into getting the first overall draft pick in 2006 (Simone Augustus) and 2011 (Maya Moore). Combined with the lucky hiring of a competent coach, the Lynx finally became relevant in 2011, and local support followed their championships.

There was no grand vision from Glen Taylor that led to the Lynx's recent success, nor were there any great sacrifices made to the Timberwolves in order to support the Lynx.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » January 17th, 2017, 2:13 pm

The lack of success on the court is truly unfortunate, and may well trace back to him trusting the wrong advisors and managers of the team for too long. But I don't think there's been any indication that Taylor is underspending on the TWolves -- it's just been a series of bad personnel decisions, and it's been compounded by the tendency of the NBA's top players to congregate themselves on a handful of elite teams.

I don't know for certain whether or not the TWolves have a good or a bad deal relative to the other pro sports in town. I do know that it's been a uniquely bad deal for City of Minneapolis taxpayers, who have been for a long time subsidizing what's really a statewide amenity. One of the upsides of the Vikings Stadium deal was that it identified a long term source of funding to maintain the Target Center.