Bicycle Infrastructure

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
Sacrelicio
Union Depot

Re: Bicycle Infrastructure

Postby Sacrelicio » August 22nd, 2016, 3:51 pm

I was driving that section of Nicollet over the weekend and was thinking that bike lanes would be good. Bravo to this.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » August 22nd, 2016, 8:43 pm

Came here to note this exact striping change: bike lanes and zebra stripes are going to make that street so much nicer, especially south of the Creek where it's denser than it felt, thanks to the continuous center turn lane.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » August 23rd, 2016, 7:52 am

46th St project is happening second week of September. I think they are planning to overlay right through the Nicollet intersection, as I know there has been discussion about how this Nicollet/46th St intersection would look (and I forget the final configuration). My hope was for a three lane profile for each at the intersection itself (left turn lanes). Ideally, there would be bike boxes to allow for two-stage left turns. It's going to be a complex intersection.

Sacrelicio
Union Depot

Postby Sacrelicio » August 23rd, 2016, 10:46 am

46th St project is happening second week of September. I think they are planning to overlay right through the Nicollet intersection, as I know there has been discussion about how this Nicollet/46th St intersection would look (and I forget the final configuration). My hope was for a three lane profile for each at the intersection itself (left turn lanes). Ideally, there would be bike boxes to allow for two-stage left turns. It's going to be a complex intersection.
Nice, really excited for this. Also I come back from vacation that week so it'll be something to look forward to on the plane.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » August 23rd, 2016, 10:57 am

I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to the f'ed up 46th and Nicollet intersection.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » August 23rd, 2016, 12:37 pm

I just knew you'd hate a project that expands the intersection capacity by adding nearly 50% new lanes, moving the total lanes through the intersection from 9 to 12. Why do you hate road capacity expansion, MNdible?

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » August 23rd, 2016, 12:43 pm

Is there another new secret plan that's going to be sprung on us? Because everything I've seen thus far has been thoroughly half-baked wishful thinking.

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » August 23rd, 2016, 1:32 pm

How I imagine MNdible:

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » August 23rd, 2016, 2:00 pm

Fur is less green.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » August 23rd, 2016, 2:10 pm

He actually lives in an organics cart.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » August 23rd, 2016, 3:18 pm

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » August 23rd, 2016, 3:20 pm

Is that Bob Again Carney?

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » August 26th, 2016, 3:19 pm

Minneapolis asking for bike count volunteers Sept 13–15th.

https://cityofmpls.wufoo.com/forms/z1svovop1woc9in/

intercomnut
Rice Park

Postby intercomnut » August 26th, 2016, 11:05 pm

Rode the Blaisedell and Nicollet lames today. Boy do the ones on Nicollet feel substandard coming off the monster lanes on Blaisdell!

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » August 29th, 2016, 8:28 am

The Blaisdell lines are not finished, right? And are the Nicollet lanes finished? The lines are so haphazard, sometimes there and sometimes not between the bike lane and parked cars.

Also I was biking on 15th Ave SE yesterday and between 6th and 8th, parked cars entirely filled the bike lanes on both sides of the street. I assume they were moving in, but the cars stayed there for at least 4 hours.

Sacrelicio
Union Depot

Postby Sacrelicio » August 29th, 2016, 8:49 am

The Blaisdell lines are not finished, right? And are the Nicollet lanes finished? The lines are so haphazard, sometimes there and sometimes not between the bike lane and parked cars.

Also I was biking on 15th Ave SE yesterday and between 6th and 8th, parked cars entirely filled the bike lanes on both sides of the street. I assume they were moving in, but the cars stayed there for at least 4 hours.
The city has to start ticketing more aggressively. I don't understand why this could go on in such a busy area for several hours and not have it be noticed and/or addressed by traffic control.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 29th, 2016, 8:53 am

Cause Sunday

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » August 29th, 2016, 9:46 am

But those signs just say No Parking. Whereas the ones on say 1st Ave S say No Parking M-F (even though there are still 15 cars parked there every Monday morning). So you'd think it would apply at all times. And I never see that volume of people trying to park in other bike lanes around town.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 29th, 2016, 10:00 am

I know they do. I've complained countless times around the University, and many Sundays they just don't come. I'll get a response the next day stating that the vehicle is gone upon arrival. Well, yeah, it's a day later and no one even bothered to check the day before. I just try and confront people in the nicest way possible letting them know they're blocking a bike lane.

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » August 29th, 2016, 11:50 am

I know they do. I've complained countless times around the University, and many Sundays they just don't come. I'll get a response the next day stating that the vehicle is gone upon arrival. Well, yeah, it's a day later and no one even bothered to check the day before. I just try and confront people in the nicest way possible letting them know they're blocking a bike lane.

That's awesome! I wish more people would actually confront people about parking there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk