Prospect Park - General Topics

Northeast, Near North, Camden, Old St. Anthony, University and surrounding neighborhoods
mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Re: Prospect Park - General Topics

Postby mattaudio » June 22nd, 2016, 8:07 am

And the setback variances are great, since they mean this will not be a net increase in curb cuts (expansion of neighbor's curb cut).

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » June 22nd, 2016, 10:27 am

Kinda weird that we (the City and I'd assume most people on this board) are generally okay with a 6' setback housing structure with a parking pad off an alley (via ADUs). But generally speaking, we (again, the City & most on this board) don't typically take kindly to curb cuts and front-yard parking along the actual residential street. I know many people, even urbanists, like our big boulevard trees and 32' of asphalt, and that the solutions I'll link to may not work without major retrofitting. but I really think a pedestrian environment can be safe and comfortable even with parking pads or even garage doors, as long as the street is super calm, well-lit, and there are still enough eyes on it (which is more likely when setbacks aren't so great).

At the very least, we should maybe grapple with why it's cool for alleys but not for front yards.

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » June 22nd, 2016, 11:59 am

Well I will say it is notable that none of the examples you gave have sidewalks. Curbcuts are more of an issue if you have sidewalks than not.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » June 22nd, 2016, 12:21 pm

That's kind of my point. Or at least it was in the streets.mn post I wrote. We cling on to the idea of a roadway + boulevard + sidewalk + setback pretty hard in this country. Most of the comments in that streets post described a 17' right of way (plus whatever is left over as a setback to existing homes on one side) all at one level designed for speeds of 10-15 mph, just like alleys, as a headache or not realistic. Why is a sidewalk needed? Is it needed in an alley? If alleys had a few more trees for shade and better pavement quality, would people object to parking pads (and even garage doors) right off them?

Maybe my point is that we should be more critical in our urban design standards than "Jane Jacobs or Jan Gehl or someone once said something in a book I read freshman year in college."

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » June 22nd, 2016, 12:38 pm

This sort of gets to the criticism of "complete streets" or the "all modes on all roads" derivision of it. Or it gets to the bike lobby not being comfortable with slow-speed slip lanes in place of bike lanes in commercial nodes and multiway boulevards. Yet the best streets I've ever been on are woefully narrow and lack official sidewalks.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » June 28th, 2016, 10:32 am

I split off a topic to discuss the Weyerhaueser site redevelopment, which is technically in St. Paul: https://forum.streets.mn/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4085

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » July 6th, 2016, 7:35 pm

Glendale update: http://www.citypages.com/news/the-fight ... ld-8409176
(also, not terrible journalism from City Pages!)

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » August 13th, 2016, 11:43 pm

That house that wanted a carport now has one, though the existing curb cut out looks slightly widened. Also there might have been a murder across the street. Fire truck and ambulance there this afternoon, and several police cars and a weird police crossover thing still there several hours later.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » August 14th, 2016, 6:42 am

there was a 'deadly assault'. 4mo. old killed.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » August 14th, 2016, 5:52 pm

I have such mixed feelings about this project. Part of me says that we should not tear down the entirety of Glendale Commons. Another part of me feels like we should tear down Glendale Commons, because concentrated poverty was an absolutely horrible idea. If they do end up tearing it down, I think it is absolutely essential that each new apartment building have units for low income families. I also do hope they do not decide to place all of the low income units in one building. In my opinion, that will just lead to more poverty and crime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DanB
Metrodome

Postby DanB » August 18th, 2016, 10:03 pm

Just went on a walking tour of development around the Prospect Park station done by PP2020. The tour starts with a presentation on PP2020's vision for the area and how they have interacted with developers and concludes with a 45 minute walking tour of the area north of university between Malcolm Ave and 29th Ave.

Some highlights:
Aeon is still planning to move forward with 70 affordable housing units on the old Habitat for Humanity site. They are applying for tax credits in the next few months and if they get enough will start next year.

On the cornerstone site a mix of affordable and market rate apartments (around 240 units total) is planned with a 0.7 acre "signature green space" at the western end of the property which will include the community garden and the water runoff pond for the area (which is being set up now).

North of the community garden on the other side of the transit way they hoping to get another "signature green space" which they are currently talking with the property owner Wall Development to determine the size, the current number is 1.2 acres. They are also hoping to connect this new green space east to Malcolm Ave by Surly via a greenway.

As far as the rest of the area north of the transit way goes they are still hoping for a job focus probably with some additional housing going in first to get things started. The neighborhood wants the grain elevators and the long building which recently had the fire to be reused. Possible ideas include putting apartments or hotel rooms on top of the ADM United Crushers elevator.

The neighborhood is hoping to have 29th and 30th ave cross the transitway and improve the safety for crossing. Longer term the neighborhood thinks with the rail yard closing they can convince the university to move the transitway north by the railroad tracks.

Apologies on the length and for any repetitiveness with previous posts. There is another walking tour on Saturday at 9:30 am meeting at Tierney Brothers, 3300 University Ave SE if anyone is interested.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » August 19th, 2016, 9:00 am

The neighborhood wants the grain elevators and the long building which recently had the fire to be reused.
I'm not so sure about the grain elevators, but whenever I go by I think there are a few old-looking brick structures - including the one you reference - that would be great to reuse. That one looks like quite a mess, though, so we'll see how viable that idea is.

exiled_antipodean
Landmark Center

Postby exiled_antipodean » August 20th, 2016, 10:30 pm

As a resident I say this lovingly about my neighbors: they are full of good ideas for historic re-use that is probably economically unviable.

LikingTheRivers
Block E

Postby LikingTheRivers » September 6th, 2016, 8:07 am

Hello all. I have been lurking the forums for a while but this is my first post. Apologies in advance for the length.

We are in a situation that might be familiar to some in PP or in the cities in general.
We own and live in our house and have done so for the past 5 years. We share our driveway with the house next door which is a rental property and at the back the driveway splits into a Y shape around a couple trees. I should also mention that our house is very close to the driveway (about 1 feet) and our garage is not functional so our cars stay in the driveway.

The landlord next door is not the easiest person to deal with, the house is not in very good shape and he does a poor job of keeping up with its needs ( he was nabbed a couple years back for not having a rental license, he did have a giant "Rooms for Rent" sign in front).
The house attracts a very young crowd and he is happy to sign 6 month leases to (it seems) anybody willing to pay. For 5 years we have lived next to young people that couldn't care less about being neighborly. We have always tried to be friendly and welcoming. Lately that included the guy with the very loud motorcycle that came home every night at 3 AM. Important to note that all bedrooms in our house are on the side with the driveway.

Three weeks ago a new group of tenants moved in (we were happy about loud-motorcycle-guy leaving). 5 young guys and 4 vehicles that all have to be parked in the back, on the driveway and the "lawn". So our driveway is now a high traffic area, our backyard sight is now a parking lot and our cars are at a higher risk of getting hit what with all the cars maneuvering in and out.

Our retaining wall was backed into and we have been locked in and out of the driveway because their friends insist on parking on the entrance to it forcing us to knock on their door and asking to be let in/out.
We are aware of some of the rental and housing regulations and we know you can only park 2 cars in the back and you can only have max 3 unrelated people in a dwelling (honestly as long as they are nice we don't care about all the extra people).

I contacted the landlord through email and our exchange was something like this:
-Me: Your current tenants are parking 4 vehicles in the back. Could you please talk to them so they park 2 on the back and 2 on the street? We have also been locked in/out of the driveway.
-Landlord: Not my problem. If it bothers you talk to them.
-Me: I will talk to them but please be advised that the regulations in MPLS only allow you to park 2 cars in the back.
-No response from landlord and no luck talking to neighbors.
-Me: Please address the matter promptly. Otherwise we will have no option than to report this to the city.
-Landlord:"if you threaten me this will backfire on you". Not my problem you deal with it.

My wife and I are very uneasy about the landlord's attitude that his responsibility ends with signing the lease. Any issue that arises is for the neighbors to figure out.

Has any of you have to deal with something like this? What's your take on the situation?

Thanks.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » September 6th, 2016, 9:54 am

If they park on your driveway blocking your access, why not just politely remind them that they are on your property and that you can have them towed?

kirby96
Union Depot

Postby kirby96 » September 6th, 2016, 10:05 am

Bummer... save and document everything, take pics, etc., and then contact the city. Duh.

I gotta say, though, the 'backfire' comment is concerning. Definitely save that message. Assuming it's not an outright threat, though, do you know exactly what easements each of you have regarding the shared driveway?

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » September 6th, 2016, 10:17 am

You park in the 'driveway' because your garage is unusable. Is said driveway on your property (do you mean a parking pad)? Where is the property line; is the driveway on both properties or only on one and the other has egress? Is there anything in your property title with regards to legal easements?

I'd start with a sign at the end of the drive that says 'No Parking- 24 hr. access required'
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

LikingTheRivers
Block E

Postby LikingTheRivers » September 8th, 2016, 7:40 am

You park in the 'driveway' because your garage is unusable. Is said driveway on your property (do you mean a parking pad)? Where is the property line; is the driveway on both properties or only on one and the other has egress? Is there anything in your property title with regards to legal easements?

I'd start with a sign at the end of the drive that says 'No Parking- 24 hr. access required'
Thanks for all the responses.

Parking pad is a better way to refer to the parking areas. The driveway runs in between the houses to the back of the property and at the back splits into two parking pads in front of each garage. They don't park on my property. Their parking area is not big enough for 4 cars so they also park on the lawn.
There is an easement on the driveway. It's about 70% on my property and 30% on the neighboring property.
Our "garage" is a 100 year old converted barn (term used by city inspector) so the doors are too narrow and the concrete slab is in very bad shape (that's our next big project). That's why our cars sit outside of it.

I confirmed with the city that only 2 cars can be parked on a approved surface in the rear 25 ft of the property. If they insist on doing it I'll report it to 311.

Now the other issue we have to deal with is the violation of occupancy limits. We don't want to be the angry neighbors that complain a lot but if we don't we feel we will be enabling the landlord's (slumlord?) attitude of doing as he pleases.

Serafina
Block E

Postby Serafina » September 10th, 2016, 12:50 pm

In my experience as a landlord, the city inspectors have a much easier time enforcing parking violations like that than occupancy violations. It's visible, and the inspectors are out and about near the U area now. I'd call and lodge a complaint with them. If the see the violation, they will be in touch with the landlord, who will be responsible for resolving it. I had trouble with tenants parking in unapproved areas, and it's a pain. But there are consequences.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » October 24th, 2016, 10:19 am

http://finance-commerce.com/2016/10/dee ... -projects/
*LOCKED*

Looks as though the Harris Machinery building that had a fire back in January has received DEED money.
"Developers Jeff Barnhart of Prospect Park Properties and John Wall of Wall Cos. received a $175,000 grant to redevelop the Harris Machinery building at 501 30th Ave. SE in Minneapolis into a distillery, tasting room and office space."