Minnesota/Twin Cities vernacular residential architecture

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Minnesota/Twin Cities vernacular residential architecture

Postby FISHMANPET » September 7th, 2016, 11:22 pm

Do we have a vernacular architecture? Or at least a surviving form? There's certainly the "mansions" built in the 1800s but those don't really represent the vernacular. The vast majority of our housing was built in the 20th century, at a point where Sears and other companies started selling homes nationwide, removing a lot of the local touch.

We don't have the kind of forms in the south to deal with the warm climates (or maybe our porches are an attempt to emulate that facet of southern vernacular?). Obviously it gets cold here but I don't know what that does to our architecture. Smaller windows and more compact forms, necessitating fewer and smaller exterior walls? We have snow, which has an impact on roof design. But a lot of midwestern cities have those same traits. Is there anything that sets our basic housing stock apart?

Anondson
IDS Center

Re: Minnesota/Twin Cities vernacular residential architecture

Postby Anondson » September 8th, 2016, 7:02 am

The abundant nearly fully usable basements that aren't just large cellars?

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » September 8th, 2016, 9:36 am

I would say the size of the homes (2.5 stories and very deep) and the fact that they are single family are a part of it. To the east many are townhomes or without side yards and to the west most are much smaller (1.5 story craftsman or bungalow)

And now of course... Minnesota modern ;)

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » September 8th, 2016, 9:50 am

We do, kind of. Stucco and three-season porches. In the 30s, the Twin Cities had (by a wide margin) the highest percentage of stucco-exterior homes of any major city.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » September 8th, 2016, 12:15 pm

Why do we have basements when warmer climates don't? I'm sure you can't just pour a 4 inch slab and build on that, or your house would get thrown out of the ground when the ground froze. So we've got to go below the frost line, right? And at that point you might as well just dig it all out rather than pour your footings and fill it back in.

Also any reason we had so much stucco? Did we have a lot of whatever material is needed for stucco, and or a dearth of whatever people used in other places?

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » September 8th, 2016, 12:32 pm

For most of the south west the soil type makes digging basements very difficult, adding a basement to a house in Phoenix or Vegas will add a couple hundred thousand dollars to your cost.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » September 8th, 2016, 12:46 pm

New England has lotsa of very near to surface bedrock making a basement a bedrock excavation.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » September 8th, 2016, 12:52 pm

I think the stucco percentage more or less correlates to the percentage of the city that was built in the '10s and '20s; many of the Revival styles popular then (esp. Tudor Revival, Spanish, "Moorish") were stucco by default, and there are huge districts of those houses in Minneapolis. When Minneapolis's predominance of stucco was noted in the 30s, 38% of the city was stucco, compared to 21% in St. Paul. That correlates pretty well with the growth you can see in these cities between 1910 and 1930:

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 8th, 2016, 12:55 pm

Those maps are so hot.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » September 8th, 2016, 1:04 pm

Those maps are so hot.
https://i.imgur.com/NQuUs1D.gif

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 8th, 2016, 1:08 pm

Tingling.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » September 8th, 2016, 1:24 pm

That's really awesome, but it's too bad the freeway voids are ever-present and we can't see the pre-destruction development intact.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » September 8th, 2016, 1:33 pm

Those maps are so hot.
Seconded. The only change I'd suggest is eliminating the handful of large parcels (which presumably contain public/quasi-public buildings on parkland, cemeteries, etc.), as they kinda stand out and detract from the "story" the map is telling.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » September 8th, 2016, 2:47 pm

Why do we have basements when warmer climates don't? I'm sure you can't just pour a 4 inch slab and build on that, or your house would get thrown out of the ground when the ground froze. So we've got to go below the frost line, right? And at that point you might as well just dig it all out rather than pour your footings and fill it back in.
The structural engineer we brought in claims that our 1905 house did not originally have a full basement, just a crawl space. He pointed out where the limestone foundation ends and something else (concrete?) begins.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » September 8th, 2016, 2:53 pm

I'm not sure there really is a regional vernacular after about 1890. Many (most?) non-custom houses by then were built following stock plans that were available nationwide, well before Sears and others started selling and shipping actual houses. You can go to the Central library and check out whole books of plans from the late-19th through mid-20th century. Keith's was a prominent Minneapolis outfit that published magazines full of plans under various titles over the years.

https://archive.org/details/keithsmagazineon31minnuoft

BTW, this kind of thing is a great resource for restoring houses when you're trying to figure out what it might have looked like.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » September 8th, 2016, 3:27 pm

Randomly stumbled onto a house with a sleeping balcony in there, I guess that's a vernacular form.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » September 8th, 2016, 8:24 pm

Randomly stumbled onto a house with a sleeping balcony in there, I guess that's a vernacular form.
Not sure what exactly you mean by sleeping balcony but many houses have upper-level porches that likely served that purpose.

I saw a house on the home tour once that has a lower front porch with a crank on the wall that lowers a bed from the ceiling. Pretty cool!

I can't find it right now but I recently read an article about how houses were cooled before air conditioning became widespread. Those oversized eaves, tall windows and yes, porches, all served specific cooling purposes. Large eaves allowed windows to be open in all kinds of weather, large windows increased air flow and porches provided complete weather protection to not only leave all the windows open but also to allow people to use it as a cool room. The Victorian wrap-around porch was a specific innovation to allow even more windows to be open all the time.

steve0257
Block E

Postby steve0257 » September 11th, 2016, 9:13 am

Furnace and coal storage from the houses built when you heated with coal. Also, as a kid I spent a lot of time down there in the summer. It was the coolest part of the house during those hot sticky days.