Orange Line / 35W@94: Downtown to Crosstown Project

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
intercomnut
Rice Park

Re: Orange Line (35W BRT) & Lake St Transit Access Project

Postby intercomnut » August 17th, 2016, 1:15 pm

If only the Met Council had some capital money laying around it could use to fill the gap. Not the whole gap, but maybe about $6 million?

No idea where the could've found that amount of money though.

intercomnut
Rice Park

Postby intercomnut » September 21st, 2016, 4:14 pm

CTIB votes to provide $30 million for Orange Line.

"The agreement reached last month allowed CTIB to contribute up to $37.5 million, but didn’t lock the board into providing the full amount, said CTIB chair Peter McLaughlin, a Hennepin County commissioner."

http://finance-commerce.com/2016/09/tra ... ing-again/

intercomnut
Rice Park

Postby intercomnut » October 7th, 2016, 12:22 pm

I caught the 535 at 46th Street & 35W Station today. I noticed two things:
  • 1. The curbs seem to be lower than the standard 3 inch city curb.

2. The roadway is tilted down from the platform, meaning the bus is actually tilted up and away from the platform when it pulls up.
That's going to make boarding for the elderly and people with disabilities real fun on the Orange Line!

mulad

Postby mulad » October 7th, 2016, 12:53 pm

Yeah, it's been a long time since I've tried the 46th Street station, but I noticed the same thing when I took the 535 from there the first time. I think I tried it again a second time and it didn't seem so bad -- certain buses may ride up a bit more than others. I wonder how difficult it would be to raise the platform height. Probably not the simplest thing in the world due to the floor height of the lobby areas for the stairwells/elevators.

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » October 7th, 2016, 9:09 pm

I think there may be drainage concerns at the 46th St Station, that may lead to the slope of the roadways. A higher platform would be nice, and would make boarding faster. Hopefully they consider that with the Orange Line project.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » October 8th, 2016, 12:30 pm

As part of the project I've been working on, the county was investigating if they could redo some of the curb configuration on the bridge deck (they were trying to add bike lanes). Not sure if that could solve some transit platform concerns too.

intercomnut
Rice Park

Postby intercomnut » October 14th, 2016, 7:38 pm

Metro Transit is looking to reshuffle Orange Line funding to ensure the ramp from Hwy 65 to 12th Street and the Lake Street station can be constructed. Given the lack of state funding, they want to delay acquiring ROW for the project and put it instead towards helping fund those two parts of the project so that MNDOT can start construction on time.

https://www.co.dakota.mn.us/Government/ ... df#page=85

Silophant

Postby Silophant » October 16th, 2016, 10:18 pm

Seems reasonable. The southern stations can be delayed for a couple years if absolutely necessary, but if MNDOT goes ahead and starts rebuilding the Lake St. are without the Orange Line improvements, that's game over for another couple decades.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

intercomnut
Rice Park

Postby intercomnut » October 21st, 2016, 3:37 pm

Detailed design for the 12th Street Transit Ramp will go before TPW for municipal consent.

intercomnut
Rice Park

Postby intercomnut » October 29th, 2016, 12:53 pm

New renderings of the stations. Also it looks like they may have decided to go with the "bent" alignment for the Knox Ave underpass.

Also, there's mention of the downtown stations being "Fare Free." I'm gonna follow up with Christina Morrison to see what exactly that means.

https://metrocouncil.org/Council-Meetin ... -TAAC.aspx

intercomnut
Rice Park

Postby intercomnut » October 29th, 2016, 2:43 pm

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » October 29th, 2016, 9:31 pm

That alignment for Knox Ave is sure close to the EB 494 -> SB 35W ramp. I hope it leaves enough room for the coming-any-year-now turbine-style interchange there. Or maybe that rebuild will eat up the Lucky's parcel and make this little loop-around moot. I haven't dug up and looked at those drawings for a few years.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » October 30th, 2016, 10:26 pm

Cool! I wonder if that's in addition to the Nicollet Mall free ride service, or just replacing it, since it's easier to promote that a specific, differently-branded service is free between these points than to have it be the NB 10 and the SB 18 like we currently have.

Also, if one Metro line is free in downtown, it would seem reasonable to have the trains be as well. I can't imagine MT is making much off those 50 cent fares.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

intercomnut
Rice Park

Postby intercomnut » October 30th, 2016, 10:34 pm

Cool! I wonder if that's in addition to the Nicollet Mall free ride service, or just replacing it, since it's easier to promote that a specific, differently-branded service is free between these points than to have it be the NB 10 and the SB 18 like we currently have.

Also, if one Metro line is free in downtown, it would seem reasonable to have the trains be as well. I can't imagine MT is making much off those 50 cent fares.
I'd imagine they're gonna keep free rides on Nicollet Mall given the importance the City places on that corridor.

Along with the LRT lines, I hope the C Line could also be made free in downtown to provide E-W circulation for the southern part of downtown.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » October 30th, 2016, 10:41 pm

True. I guess if we ever get around to a Nicollet Streetcar/aBRT, it'll be a no-brainer to make the downtown portion free.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

intercomnut
Rice Park

Postby intercomnut » October 30th, 2016, 10:45 pm

True. I guess if we ever get around to a Nicollet Streetcar/aBRT, it'll be a no-brainer to make the downtown portion free.
Agreed. Like you said above, it would be so much easier for customers (especially tourists) to take advantage of a single free service instead of the 18 and 10.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » October 31st, 2016, 6:46 am

Doesn't this turn at the Knox underpass mean the buses will have to make two turns via American Boulevard, to jog from Knox Ave to the frontage road alignment? And that's in addition to the two sweeping S curves to return to Knox for the underpass. That will significantly diminish ride quality, especially given there are already other turns on this stretch to/from 35W ramps at 76th and at 82nd. This is going to feel like your average gut-wrench bus for that half mile.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » November 1st, 2016, 12:24 pm

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » November 1st, 2016, 8:27 pm

Doesn't leave much room for my dream of making Fourth a legitimate street again with a new bridge over 94 :/
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

intercomnut
Rice Park

Postby intercomnut » November 25th, 2016, 2:27 pm

This is more than a month out of date, but here's some concepts being looked at for the walls and sidewalk surfaces at Lake Street Station:

https://www.metrotransit.org/Data/Sites ... rkshop.pdf