Fiber Internet and TV Services, Cord Cutting

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
karlshea
Nicollet Mall

Re: Fiber Internet and TV Services, Cord Cutting

Postby karlshea » August 16th, 2016, 5:31 pm

Having just recently bought a new HDHomeRun to replace the broken one, I would like to improve upon my current MythTV-only setup by integrating Kodi. What do you find advantageous about your setup? I have my own thoughts but I'd like to hear it from people that actually have experience using Kodi with MythTV.
So my setup works like this (like I said, it's pretty ridiculous):

Server

Headless Ubuntu box with a 6-tuner card (where the CableCard is), running Myth-backend. I also run MythWeb because it's easier setting up recording rules in a web browser instead of through Kodi/Myth-frontend.

Clients

Two ASUS Chromeboxes that are running LibreELEC (which is a Linux-based OS that is only meant for Kodi). You can control these through Kodi remote apps on your phone, or use a FLIRC IR receiver and set it up with the Kodi profile and use a universal or MCE remote (we have it working with a Logitech Harmony).

Chromebox setup instructions and notes for how to do this are here.

I enabled the Myth PVR plugin in Kodi and it talks to the Myth server to show guide data, see live TV, and watch recorded shows. The watched status and how far you are through for recordings is synced to the server, so you can start watching a show in one room and then pick it up on the other box in another room.

I also am running Emby on the server. The Kodi boxes use the Emby plugin to sync its media files library (TV or movies) so if you have some of those that somehow fell off of a truck somewhere you can browse and stream them through Kodi over the network.

To be honest, unless you enjoy screwing around with this stuff and fixing it when it breaks there's really not a great reason to use it. I set it all up because Comcast wouldn't give me the X1 box because I didn't have triple-play, and their old DVR was godawful (you couldn't even see which recordings you had watched). I've got a really nice theme installed on Kodi, and Emby will auto download fan art for media files so it's really pleasant to use. It worked out because it's whole-home instead of just on one TV, and I don't have to rent the DVR from Comcast.

If you have any more specific questions I'd be happy to answer.

SkyScraperKid

Postby SkyScraperKid » September 26th, 2016, 4:14 pm

any updates as to the Fiber wifi grid?

karlshea
Nicollet Mall

Postby karlshea » September 27th, 2016, 8:36 pm

I'm assuming you mean their TDM (non-fiber fixed-point wireless) project; the sservice coverage map is here: https://tdm.usinternet.com/coverage-map/

Silophant

Postby Silophant » September 27th, 2016, 8:48 pm

Wish they'd drop a few more of those downtown. My apartment is a heart-breaking block and a half out of range.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » September 28th, 2016, 8:07 am

I'm guessing this, like all other signals in that general area of bandwidth, struggles significantly more in a landscape with large concrete and metal buildings.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » September 28th, 2016, 8:12 am

Oh, yeah, I'm sure there would have to be one installed right across the street for my apartment to get decent service. I can dream, though.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

SkyScraperKid

Postby SkyScraperKid » September 28th, 2016, 1:32 pm

Oh, yeah, I'm sure there would have to be one installed right across the street for my apartment to get decent service. I can dream, though.

Are they that expensive? Seems kinda realistic they could simply put them up heavier in areas with more obstructions. Isn't it cheaper than digging cable? The system seems to be very slowly expanding, wonder if they will keep adding more even during winter, probably not right?

Silophant

Postby Silophant » September 28th, 2016, 1:54 pm

I think that's exactly what they do. Looking at the map linked above, they're much more densely placed along Hennepin Avenue downtown than in Northeast or Longfellow.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

cooperrez
Landmark Center

Postby cooperrez » September 28th, 2016, 7:41 pm

I tried the TDM service and it wasn't up to snuff for me in Longfellow. Actually not a very good experience. I had less than 1 Mbps speed after the initial installation. I thought, mistakenly, that another tech was going to come out and install a dish that was supposed to improve the signal. That ended up not happening and I let the free month pass, got charged for the monthly fee, then finally set up for another tech to come out and try to improve things, only got up to about 9 Mbps and so I threw in the towel. After being billed for 2 months of service, most of which was at the 1 Mbps speed, the best they could do was credit my account, but only if I kept the account active, no refund possible. None of the techs seemed to want to install the dish, so not sure what that was about. Glad I didn't cancel with Comcast (yuck), because I would have lost my grandfathered rate for internet only setup. I was hoping to support US Internet while they expand their fiber network and save a little money in the process. Didn't accomplish either except handing them 50 bucks I guess.

SkyScraperKid

Postby SkyScraperKid » November 10th, 2016, 7:50 pm

No updates on what is be added for 2017?

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » November 11th, 2016, 6:52 pm

Is it just me or was there a 2016 Phase 3 that was removed from the map? http://fiber.usinternet.com/fibermap.php
I feel like there were some areas shown for expansion that are not anymore.

I really hope they are able to get all of Standish-Ericsson done in 2017 (everything north of the creek anyways).

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » November 11th, 2016, 8:08 pm

Yes, since I specifically remember the little pocket of Creek Knoll Edina north of Minnehaha Creek and south of 54th St being slated for service.

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » November 13th, 2016, 4:56 pm

Is it just me or was there a 2016 Phase 3 that was removed from the map? http://fiber.usinternet.com/fibermap.php
I feel like there were some areas shown for expansion that are not anymore.

I really hope they are able to get all of Standish-Ericsson done in 2017 (everything north of the creek anyways).
Yeah, looking at this Reddit thread they pushed some to 2017. On another thread it looks like they announced next year phases late in November, so hopefully we hear something soon. I also hope Standish Ericsson is covered next year!

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » December 16th, 2016, 3:13 pm

Anyone tried USI's TDM internet? I'm going to give it a try when my Centurylink contract runs out.

gpete
Union Depot

Postby gpete » December 16th, 2016, 8:26 pm

It all depends on whether you have a clear line of sight to one of their nodes. If you do, it should work great. I've had it for a few months and had no problems.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

SkyScraperKid

Postby SkyScraperKid » December 19th, 2016, 3:38 pm

When will the update for 2017 additions be made public?

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » December 19th, 2016, 5:26 pm

Over on Reddit he said they aren't putting them online this time around. Apparently Comcast and Centurylink sales people were spreading false info about USI in the neighborhoods they were going to be installing? He hinted the first phase of 17 will be that area in SW that I think was supposed to be phase 3 in 2016. He also said they plan on doubling construction next year. It seems like they've over promised things in the past so we'll see...

karlshea
Nicollet Mall

Postby karlshea » December 19th, 2016, 7:19 pm

Yep Centurylink showed up trying to get me on their gigabit fiber/prism TV thing a couple of weeks after my neighborhood was put on the map. It's not very price-competitive, but they do offer a TV package which USI doesn't have (yet).

BruiserB
City Center

Postby BruiserB » December 21st, 2016, 7:45 am

I've been using the new DirecTV Now service.

www.directvnow.com

They have a special offer where you can get the normal $60 a month package for $35 forever if you sign up now. Plus they are giving a free AppleTV if you prepay 3 months of service. It only has Fox 9 for local channels in MSP, but I've been using a TabloTV for a while now.

Service isn't perfect, but it's been getting better and they only launched 3 weeks ago. Can watch on any device including many streaming devices. Can watch 2 streams simultaneously. My condo has free basic DirecTV, but this is cheaper for me than paying for extra equipment charges, etc. to get premium services. Also HBO/Cinemax are only $5 a month each.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SkyScraperKid

Postby SkyScraperKid » December 23rd, 2016, 1:14 pm

Do you have to sign up before you get to see what channels you get and get details about the service? Website won't let me do anything but sign up for my "free" trial.