"Taking City Streets Back from Cars"

Introductions - Urban Issues - Miscellaneous News, Topics, Interests
PLGTMD
Block E

"Taking City Streets Back from Cars"

Postby PLGTMD » September 27th, 2016, 9:14 am

Interesting video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZORzsubQA_M
It would be cool to see something like this implemented in the US (specifically MSP). Perhaps the Soccer Stadium "superblock" could start some sort of trend in the area

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Re: "Taking City Streets Back from Cars"

Postby amiller92 » September 27th, 2016, 12:05 pm

How about the area bounded by N 2nd Ave on the northwest, N 4th St. on the southwest, Hennepin Ave on the southeast and Washington Ave on the northeast? Seems like it would be great for the nightlife businesses in the area. That would mean getting cars of of 1st Ave, which would probably not go over well, but we've already moved a ton of traffic off of it compared to how it was as a one way. I suppose the bigger issue is making 3rd St something other than an onramp for the causeway to 94.

I suppose the natural place to start would be to including Nicollet, as it's already off limit to cars. Between 8th & 10th and Hennepin and 3rd? But how would people get to their parking places?

PLGTMD
Block E

Postby PLGTMD » September 27th, 2016, 2:23 pm

I like the idea of closing off 5th street to traffic, so at the Nicollet-5th intersection a walking intersection of sorts would be created along what will be the two "train roads" downtown.
Unfortunately, I think this stuff is little more than fantasy downtown, but in less-developed parts of the city it could be an actual option (I'm thinking the farmers market area, parts of University Ave, the St Paul Ford site, etc)

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » September 27th, 2016, 2:55 pm

That would mean getting cars of of 1st Ave
No it wouldn't. Don't buy into the "war on cars" message. The Barcelona plan doesn't ban cars from the area but rather calms them significantly.

This is a perfectly viable thing to do in many parts of the city, including downtown.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » September 27th, 2016, 7:04 pm

Sounds perfect for east town!

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » September 27th, 2016, 10:57 pm

I was thinking that as well. It's kind of a bummer that an entirely new neighborhood is being built, and yet its streets are still primarily 3 lane one ways with on street parking.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » September 28th, 2016, 8:08 am

Gotta move those Woodbury and Wisconsin folks from downtown parking ramps to I-94 as fast as possible!

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » September 28th, 2016, 8:43 am

I was thinking that as well. It's kind of a bummer that an entirely new neighborhood is being built, and yet its streets are still primarily 3 lane one ways with on street parking.
I was actually surprised by how much Chicago was narrowed past the stadium.

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Postby mplser » September 28th, 2016, 7:48 pm

chicago was already narrowed near the metrodome. pretty sure its almost the same as it was

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » September 28th, 2016, 10:38 pm

I got the sense that it was wider, actually. Not sure if that's because they replaced the red brick pavers with plain asphalt though.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » September 29th, 2016, 9:27 am

chicago was already narrowed near the metrodome. pretty sure its almost the same as it was
I don't think that's right, because I think I watched them move the curb, but looking at streetview, maybe it was already that narrow at the intersections and they just removed the extra (drop off?) lane on the northeast side.