East 38th Street & 38th St Station Development

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
twincitizen

Re: 38th Street Corridor & 38th St Station/Lander Development

Postby twincitizen » June 7th, 2016, 1:32 pm

Sam (Joe Urban) - If you're reading this, it would be a HUGE win to secure a neighborhood grocery store in any of the 3 planned station area developments. This area is lacking anything within walking distance (and really even short biking distance <1mi). Unless of course Longfellow Station's still unbuilt commercial component lands a grocery store. Even so, I'd prefer the more walkable location on the west side of Hiawatha.

fehler
Rice Park

Postby fehler » June 7th, 2016, 2:52 pm

Tom Thumb is a couple blocks. Dokken's, Flag Foods and Sosa Foods are less than a half mile, Everett's is about 3/4 mile, and Target/Cub/Aldi at Lake-Hiawatha is an even mile.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » June 7th, 2016, 2:57 pm

Aldi's has started a pattern of a station located every mile along the Blue Line -- 38th Street is next in line.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » June 7th, 2016, 5:15 pm

Tom Thumb is a couple blocks. Dokken's, Flag Foods and Sosa Foods are less than a half mile, Everett's is about 3/4 mile.
Are any of these actual/primary full-line grocery stores? Or are they glorified corner stores/bodegas? I know I said "neighborhood store", but I still meant actual grocery store (i.e. minimum 10-12k sq ft like an Aldi or TJ in size)
and Target/Cub/Aldi at Lake-Hiawatha is an even mile.
The LRT stops might be an even mile apart, but once you add in the 1-2 block walk from your house to 38th Station, the additional walking distance to Cub/Target from the stop, the difficulty/annoyance of crossing Hiawatha, etc. it's gonna be at least 1.5 miles actual distance and feel more like 2 (minus the mile on the train of course, if you're riding it and not walking/biking the same route)

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » June 7th, 2016, 6:27 pm

I'll pick up some groceries when I go to Everett's, but meat is obviously the main reason for going there. They do have a pretty good selection though for the size of store. The others listed are convenient stores. I would LOVE a grocery store in 38th Street Station area.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » June 8th, 2016, 12:44 pm

The rezoning and litany of variances for 3828 will be continued to the late June CPC meeting.
http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/groups ... 181248.pdf

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » July 14th, 2016, 7:48 am

There's a construction trailer parked on the old auto repair parcel. Though someone familiar with the project says it's not actually *the* construction trailer. I'm not sure of its use. Supposedly the developer is still planning to appeal a few of the variance denials.

Sara Bergen

Postby Sara Bergen » September 8th, 2016, 7:23 am

Anyone have any new info on this development? We just bought a house close to here and I am curious as to any updated info. I checked the Standish n'hood site etc but didn't find anything.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » October 19th, 2016, 2:46 pm

3828 groundbreaking ceremony is today at 4:00 PM.

minneboom
Nicollet Mall

Postby minneboom » October 27th, 2016, 9:24 pm

The City of Minneapolis is planning to install bike lanes on 38th St from Minnehaha Ave to West River Parkway in 2017. The Longfellow Community Council is holding a meeting for the project on Wednesday, November 30 at 6 PM - 8 PM. More information can be found on the website page for the project. Please consider providing input and suggestions, especially ideas to make this stretch of 38th St safer for pedestrians and bicyclists.

http://minneapolismn.gov/bicycles/projects/WCMSP-187984

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » November 2nd, 2016, 8:06 am

This could go in the 38th St thread or the Cedar thread...

Northeast corner building recently sold, and new storefronts being created along 38th St.
Here's before: https://goo.gl/maps/iTkv2VUCSnu
Here's after:
38th and Cedar NE Corner Rehab by Matt Steele, on Flickr

Also, the storefront that's been boarded for months on Cedar just north of 38th is still boarded, over a year now. https://goo.gl/maps/eYnot2JZYvA2 Not sure if they lost their planned tenant, or what?

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » November 8th, 2016, 4:34 pm

Metro Transit has applied for vacation of the 30th Ave ROW from 38th St to Hiawatha (this cuts north/south through the existing transit station area). Appears to be paving the way for future Lander TOD. http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/www/gro ... 189675.pdf

kiliff75
Nicollet Mall

Postby kiliff75 » November 27th, 2016, 6:27 pm

For 3828: it looks like a little bit of site prep has been done in front of the house on 28th that'll be taken out. Also, what appears to be utility work is being done on 28th in front of both buildings that'll be demolished

schmitzm03
Nicollet Mall

Postby schmitzm03 » December 22nd, 2016, 7:18 am

There was an excavator tearing apart the garage building on the 38th St side of this site yesterday.

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » December 22nd, 2016, 5:01 pm

Yeah, I saw they had a couple trackhoes on site. I'm looking forward to this one. Any rumors on retail tenants yet?

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » January 5th, 2017, 2:30 pm

I was looking at this plan for the next 2-3 (or maybe 4) buildings, and had a bit of a roller coaster emotional response:

First, I was just kind of in awe "Oh man, this is just gonna be awesome. What a boost for the area! This will put 46th Street Station to shame."

But after I contemplated for a minute, my excitement started to drift after realizing how few units this project would really add overall. Maybe 140-160 total? Truly not that many in the grand scope of it being a freaking train station (we don't have very many of those!) And once it's done, it's done. All of the areas closest to the station will be developed. My frustration really coalesced around the skinny building shown south of 38th, extending just two measly lots deep. That is how limited in scope the station area plan is (both actual city plans/zoning and the private sector's response).

46th Street is even worse. Oaks Station Place is it. 104 weak ass units in that ugly building. End of story. 46th is not currently zoned for ANY further development on the west side of Hiawatha. None.

We have got to completely revision the 38th & 46th Street station areas on the west side of Hiawatha. There really shouldn't be ANY R1 zoning within a block of the stations. After his unopposed re-election, I'd love to engage CM Johnson in a discussion to completely re-envision these station area plans. Everything within .25 mile (two long blocks) should be fair game for redevelopment, and everything within one block should be 4-5 stories.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » January 5th, 2017, 2:58 pm

I don't disagree.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » January 5th, 2017, 3:27 pm

I am not saying there's absolutely appetite for this level of development, but.. I'm of the opinion that anything within a 5 minute walk of every train station in S Mpls should allow towers. Office, residential, whatever. Every year that goes by with some company building an office complex (e.g. UHG tower in Minnetonka, the OATI building in Bloomington) is a bunch of jobs that don't require huge single-story buildings and frequent truck delivery to operate that are somewhere besides in the core and not likely to ever have a meaningful share of employees walk, bike, or take the train to reach them. They're jobs that would be where transit (that directly serves the airport) exists (and in this case, a decent-sized highway to feed it with people who drive). I mean hell, Thor's 4-story HQ is on an aBRT route and over a mile from the Blue Line extension surrounded by SFHs just like the S Mpls Blue Line stations are. We are so vastly under-utilizing our insanely expensive LRT infrastructure right now by pretending a couple acres of 4-5 story apartments constitutes "TOD". Of course, my opinion is that anywhere in the city should allow 2-3 lot, 3-4 story apartment style construction, so there's that.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » January 5th, 2017, 4:11 pm

We are so vastly under-utilizing our insanely expensive LRT infrastructure right now...
Are we? How much peak capacity on the Blue Line is going unused? (This is a serious question, not being snarky.)

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » January 5th, 2017, 4:16 pm

The electrical infrastructure can handle 3 car trains every 5 minutes, so without any serious infrastructure upgrades, just new rolling stock, we could double capacity by moving to 5 minute headways.