IDS Center

Re: Soccer Stadium and Snelling-Midway Development

Postby grant1simons2 » October 25th, 2016, 9:57 pm

It's a catchphrase

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » October 26th, 2016, 1:09 pm

I like what appears to be a lower profile in the new plans. Since the inside doesn't appear to be any smaller but the outside is definitely lower in profile, I'm guessing that means they intend to dig down a bit for the field, which I think is a really nice idea. This is still looking like it should be a relatively good fit for an urban setting - maybe a little less so than CHS Field or even the Twins ballpark, but much better than the hulking mass of some football / football stadia.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 26th, 2016, 1:11 pm

They cut out the upper seating on the north side, but otherwise I think almost everything else is the same seating wise, so they lost some

BigIdeasGuy
Union Depot

Postby BigIdeasGuy » October 29th, 2016, 7:40 am

I think the revised renderings, especially the lowered north facade does a better job meeting the plazas at a human scale. The original rendering with the stairs the exterior just kinda loomed over everything now it does a better job inviting and welcoming people in. The one thing I certainly preferred with the original rendering were the additional "ribs" in the exterior. While the original looks full the revised exterior just looks kinda empty.

VAStationDude
US Bank Plaza

Postby VAStationDude » November 17th, 2016, 3:03 pm

The MLS franchise is reportedly having difficulty acquiring the Rainbow site. Those of us who aren't soccer Europhile wankers saw this coming.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » November 17th, 2016, 3:44 pm

^That is borderline uncalled for, but yeah I'm not terribly surprised either. With a deal already in place to play at TCF in 2017 and 2018, it always seemed extremely foolish to break ground on a $200MM stadium without first making sure you have a large enough fan base established. I have nothing against pro soccer or building a privately-funded stadium in St. Paul, but I don't see the harm in waiting. Play at TCF for a while longer, build up the Mpls-StP-UMN area fanbase, see how it goes for a full season or two before committing $200MM. Midway Shopping Center (or the Mpls site) ain't going nowhere anytime soon.

VAStationDude
US Bank Plaza

Postby VAStationDude » November 17th, 2016, 4:16 pm

I'd be pretty surprised if The MLS isn't livid at this development. They're notoriously financially conservative and having stadium revenue and local franchise investment yanked from under their feet can't leave them pleased.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » November 17th, 2016, 9:10 pm

There's really no question as to whether this team will have a fan base. They drew 9,000 as a minor league team in Blaine this summer and already have around that many season ticket holders for next year. It'd be a shame if they end up at TCF for two years, but it's not unprecedented that an MLS team needs more time like this. The timeline for this stadium was always be aggressive.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » December 3rd, 2016, 8:37 am

Yesterday's Star Tribune story about United and U.S. Bank Stadium made the Midway situation sound ominous without mentioning the Midway stadium. However, the local soccer news website came out later in the day citing "sources" who expect a ceremonial groundbreaking before the end of the year.

http://fiftyfive.one/2016/12/hopes-rene ... -progress/

VAStationDude
US Bank Plaza

Postby VAStationDude » December 3rd, 2016, 11:52 am

The U.S. Bank soccer Vikings dust up article in the dead tree edition mentions the saint Paul stadium.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » December 3rd, 2016, 12:23 pm

I don't recall the story providing any update on the status of the delayed Midway stadium, which is what I meant.

VAStationDude
US Bank Plaza

Postby VAStationDude » December 3rd, 2016, 1:16 pm

Got it. No status update in the paper.

Minnehahaha
Nicollet Mall

Postby Minnehahaha » December 3rd, 2016, 7:27 pm

There is a construction trailer and two porta-potties on the west end of the site and Saint Anthony Avenue is now closed. That can't be a bad sign!

ProspectPete
Union Depot

Postby ProspectPete » December 4th, 2016, 5:37 pm

Really? Wow, that's great... but no press release, golden shovels or ribbon cutting?

Silophant

Postby Silophant » December 4th, 2016, 8:25 pm

Yesterday's Star Tribune story about United and U.S. Bank Stadium made the Midway situation sound ominous without mentioning the Midway stadium. However, the local soccer news website came out later in the day citing "sources" who expect a ceremonial groundbreaking before the end of the year.

http://fiftyfive.one/2016/12/hopes-rene ... -progress/
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Tom H.
US Bank Plaza

Postby Tom H. » December 5th, 2016, 8:12 am

Maybe they're waiting for the anticipated special session to pass the tax package. That's (purportedly) going to happen soon.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » December 5th, 2016, 11:49 am

The same local soccer website attributed the delay on a groundbreaking to challenges with the land acquisition, rather than the tax breaks.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » December 6th, 2016, 4:06 pm

Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » December 6th, 2016, 4:22 pm

,l since groundbreaking is being held on Monday, that must mean they are going to build throughout the winter season, correct? Any ideas on timeline? If memory serves correct, they were hoping to start construction in July or August. The delay, if in fact there is one, would definitely set them back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » December 6th, 2016, 4:34 pm

The original schedule was June 2016 to Feb/ March 2018, 21 months. Now they've got 14 months if 2018 season opener is still the goal.
Though far less complicated than USB stadium (32 months) , I don't see them opening 2018 there. Another comparison, TCF took 23 months.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.