Minneapolis 311

Parks, Minneapolis Public Schools, Density, Zoning, etc.
twincitizen

Minneapolis 311

Postby twincitizen » March 19th, 2015, 3:11 pm

Do you report issues to Minneapolis 311?

Do you have the app on your iPhone or Android?

The answer, I hope, is "YES" to both questions. I intermittently report parking issues, signage issues, potholes, broken stuff, graffiti, garbage, abandoned bikes, abandoned cars, etc. In general, I think the more crap you report, the better our city will be. Every little issue counts, broken window theory and all.

As a city employee myself (not Minneapolis), I can tell you that almost all code enforcement is done on a "complaint-only basis". This means that, for most issues, there is not someone driving around the city looking for this stuff. Or even if there is (like for sidewalk repair, seasonal maintenance sweeps, etc.) they don't have nearly enough manpower to catch everything. We are the eyes on the streets, sidewalks, broken fences, inoperable vehicles and piles of garage or broken glass. So bookmark that website, get yourself an app, and let's keep reporting the crap out there and make our city better.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Re: Minneapolis 311

Postby mattaudio » March 19th, 2015, 3:14 pm

While it's generally good, I've had many strange experiences with how the 311 folks use seeclickfix. For many tickets, SCF becomes a black hole of things never getting done. And they unnecessarily close SCF tickets if they happen to fall outside the purview of "what a city 311 agent can do." Frustrating.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » March 19th, 2015, 3:29 pm

I was going to note something about that. They tend to hit "Case closed" really quickly.

So if any City employees are reading: Is there a substantial difference between submitting a complaint through the 311 website and through the 311 app?? The app is run through the 3rd-party SeeClickFix software, but the City's website seems to not be SeeClickFix-based. Is that correct? Does it matter or make a difference?

Also, what is the proper way to report abandoned bicycles (the ones with bent or missing rims, deflated tires, etc.)? I just reported one as an "Abandoned Vehicle" but perhaps that isn't the right way to go about it. There didn't seem to be a specific feature for reporting a bike.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » March 19th, 2015, 3:46 pm

I think that the SeeClickFix software feeds directly into whatever the city as a whole uses, because every case automatically gets a 311 case number after a few minutes.

Chava
Nicollet Mall

Postby Chava » March 20th, 2015, 1:47 pm

Yes I do. I had a 5/5 of success rate for each case submitted. I made sure to submit pictures for each case, as the city indicates this is more helpful for inspections/problem solving.

I completely agree that it is our job to be the eyes and ears.

cooperrez
Landmark Center

Postby cooperrez » December 30th, 2016, 3:47 pm

I've recently started using the 311 app, but my reports seem to be quickly closed with no resolution. There's a huge pile of snow and ice dumped right on the sidewalk between the curb cuts for the White Castle drive thru, now closed, at 36th Ave S and East Lake, along 36th Ave S. You can't get around it without walking into the street. My report was closed, no violation per the inspector. I took a look at it today and the pile is still there. What pisses me off is the drive-thru and the parking for the closed restaurant is completely plowed, but this pile of snow on the sidewalk remains.

VAStationDude
US Bank Plaza

Postby VAStationDude » December 30th, 2016, 3:50 pm

I've found persistence pays off with 311 reports. Citing city ordinance helps.

Scottie
City Center

Postby Scottie » December 30th, 2016, 5:33 pm

I have had some luck re-opening the closed request with new comments or a picture. I've also quoted city ordinances. Overall though 311 is still super frustrating. Things are ignored or closed for bogus reasons.

cooperrez
Landmark Center

Postby cooperrez » December 30th, 2016, 10:05 pm

I called 311 today and they passed me through to the inspector's telephone. I left a message, but no return call yet. When I hit the reopen link on the app I just get an explanation of the privacy policy for private reports, but my initial report wasn't private. Kinda frustrating. This particular pile of ice/snow is quite aggrerious and couldn't possibly be a non-violation. I tried to post a picture here using imgur, but the app seems to have changed a bit and I haven't figured it out yet.

cooperrez
Landmark Center

Postby cooperrez » January 2nd, 2017, 10:18 pm

Here's what the sidewalk looked like when I reported the issue, looking south toward Lake St.,

https://imgur.com/dZ9hUUt

Here's what it looked like after I received the email that my report was closed as no violation, had a bit of a warm up so some melting took place, looking north from Lake St.,

https://imgur.com/BqAafKO

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » January 3rd, 2017, 9:31 am

Have you contacted Cam Gordon's office?

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » January 3rd, 2017, 10:56 am

Definitely recommend raising it with the relevant council member.

cooperrez
Landmark Center

Postby cooperrez » January 3rd, 2017, 1:00 pm

I just sent an email to Cam Gordon, right after reading John Edwards' article on winter sidewalks at lunch today.

FranklinAveFixation
Metrodome

Postby FranklinAveFixation » January 18th, 2017, 8:28 pm

One of my favorite pastimes is reporting "abandoned vehicles" that I notice near my apartment.
I've gotten a couple towed but sometimes they stick a warning letter under the wipers and the owner usually moves it immediately, then I have to wait 3 more days before I report them again...
I've had my reports responded to in less than 2 hours sometimes according to the links they emailed, I've also had some that were never responded to.

Lately, as you can imagine, I've been reporting properties that haven't been keeping up their sidewalks.
My question is, how do you determine a solid address for the properties with no building, such as the parking lot directly south of the Greek restaurant on 27th/Nicollet or the empty lot directly north of the dentist on 22nd/Nicollet?
Last edited by FranklinAveFixation on January 18th, 2017, 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » January 18th, 2017, 8:30 pm

Bookmark this on your phone: https://gis.hennepin.us/property/map/default.aspx

Mighty hand when you need a parcel ID.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

FranklinAveFixation
Metrodome

Postby FranklinAveFixation » January 18th, 2017, 8:59 pm

perfect.

Sacrelicio
Union Depot

Postby Sacrelicio » January 18th, 2017, 10:29 pm

One of my favorite pastimes is reporting "abandoned vehicles" that I notice near my apartment.
I've gotten a couple towed but sometimes they stick a warning letter under the wipers and the owner usually moves it immediately, then I have to wait 3 more days before I report them again...
I've had my reports responded to in less than 2 hours sometimes according to the links they emailed, I've also had some that were never responded to.

Lately, as you can imagine, I've been reporting properties that haven't been keeping up their sidewalks.
My question is, how do you determine a solid address for the properties with no building, such as the parking lot directly south of the Greek restaurant on 27th/Nicollet or the empty lot directly north of the dentist on 22nd/Nicollet?
I use the mobile app and let it find my location. Seems to work.

LearningAsIGo
Block E

Postby LearningAsIGo » November 19th, 2017, 6:03 pm

SeeClickFix is updating their Minneapolis 311 Mobile (at least ios) app and is inviting some (all?) registered Minneapolis users to beta test the new app.
This BETA program showcases some new and improved interfaces, workflows, and features, including:
  • Bottom navigation for quick access to primary content and functions (e.g. Reporting, nearby requests, city information, and your profile)
  • Guided reporting flow for faster, more intuitive request reporting
  • Location information attached to request image, making it easier and more accurate to pinpoint exact location of your request
  • Quickly comment or vote on requests that you want to show your support for