Road Crime

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
ProspectPete
Union Depot

Re: Road Crime

Postby ProspectPete » August 21st, 2016, 12:33 pm

Last Saturday morning at 2am someone drove their car onto the LRT tracks just west of SPUD. The got wedged in the interlocking units. After they hoisted the car out of there they had to check over all infrastructure before letting the train leave. No biggie since it was 2am, but essentially the train was stuck at the station. I talked to the driver and he stated that it happens "all the time".

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Postby mplser » August 21st, 2016, 1:23 pm

Last Saturday morning at 2am someone drove their car onto the LRT tracks just west of SPUD. The got wedged in the interlocking units. After they hoisted the car out of there they had to check over all infrastructure before letting the train leave. No biggie since it was 2am, but essentially the train was stuck at the station. I talked to the driver and he stated that it happens "all the time".
there should be a mandatory $500 fine for driving on the tracks, with signs everywhere stating this

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » August 22nd, 2016, 12:43 pm

It's a public safety problem to leave your car parked in a driveway.

http://blogs.mprnews.org/newscut/2016/0 ... ourt-says/

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » August 22nd, 2016, 8:27 pm

Used car dealer legislator has really bad driving record of speeding and texting while driving.

http://www.startribune.com/speaker-daud ... 390981971/

Awkward.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » August 22nd, 2016, 8:43 pm

Contemplating sending him an email saying that he could text in perfect safety while riding SWLRT.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Postby mplser » August 22nd, 2016, 9:34 pm

thats ridiculous. does that mean that if i report the used car dealer across the alley that they have to build a fence to hide their crappy rustbuckets they are selling?

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » August 22nd, 2016, 9:50 pm

thats ridiculous. does that mean that if i report the used car dealer across the alley that they have to build a fence to hide their crappy rustbuckets they are selling?
There is a lot I find ridiculous about the zoning that says this, also that a judge didn't just bench-slap people for this epic waste of court time.

I read in the comment to that link that this is a side drama around the collector being something of a polarizing figure at city hall and this suit is some sort of retribution... I'd like to read more about that angle and drama.

I find it a mental leap of Hulk-like magnitude to reason parking cars for long periods as a public safety issue, but a judge gonna judge. Should a city be able to limit how many cars can use a driveway for long term storage? Under what justification should we allow it? I dunno. But I don't live by a neighbor with four half finished car repair hulks that I know relatives in more rural areas deal with.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » August 22nd, 2016, 10:14 pm

When one of the people moved into the triplex next door, there was car repair work going on in the driveway for weeks. There was banging late at night when the baby was trying to sleep. I finally got fed up and called the landlord after there was a strong gasoline odor and I saw a big puddle next to the car.

Fortunately, the landlord is great and he got the activity stopped pronto. The renter is still there and we get along fine after a little bit of early awkwardness.

My point in all of this is that cars sitting in a driveway can indeed be a nuisance and in my case, very much a health hazard. Of course there was repair work going on in my case but old cars leak lots of not-so-great-for-health stuff. Is it really reasonable to require the city to document the disrepair state of a vehicle? It seems easier to just say cars can't just sit on a driveway indefinitely.

All that said, it does seem unfair to single out collector cars.

I dunno, I like living in a place without driveways. :)

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Mdcastle » August 23rd, 2016, 7:49 am

Bloomington used to have a code limiting the number of vehicles at a residence, whether parked on the property or the street, to the number of licensed drivers plus one. It's now been changed to four per residence.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » November 18th, 2016, 10:32 am

SO.... A daycare operator who fled the scene after allegedly intentionally hanging a one year old child... then decided to drive recklessly from Uptown towards Phillips, causing multiple injury hit and runs. Reports are a pedestrian was dragged from 27th/Grand to 28th/Park (15 blocks). Man, I hope they do okay. Then the suspect attempted to jump off the Park Ave bridge over I-94 but people held her back. Wow.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » November 18th, 2016, 12:00 pm

I could see flashing lights on the bridge and farther down Park (those are still there), but that's crazy.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » November 21st, 2016, 9:01 am

The Minnesota Massacre has claimed another street user who wasn't in a car.
http://www.startribune.com/brooklyn-par ... 402247165/

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » November 25th, 2016, 9:30 am

A stroad kills a Burnsville woman, and a sidewalk-lacking arterial kills a man in Roseville.
http://www.startribune.com/officials-id ... 402936196/

intercomnut
Rice Park

Postby intercomnut » November 26th, 2016, 5:47 pm

Metro Transit Driver Who Struck, Killed Man Using Walker Charged

The Metro Transit driver who killed an elderly man in a downtown Minneapolis crosswalk in summer 2015 is being charged with careless driving and failure to yield.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » January 5th, 2017, 8:57 am

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » September 9th, 2017, 7:15 pm

Woman, Mound resident, drove with suspended license and hit and killed police office clearing debris from highway.

http://www.startribune.com/wayzata-chie ... 443444013/

Seems extremely flimsy evidence that revoking drivers licenses for drivers in car-centric exurbs keeps them from driving. Do courts not have ability to seize cars as well? Leaving drivers with their car but no license is an invitation to violate.

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Postby mplser » November 4th, 2017, 11:54 am

from the "police clips" facebook page

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » November 7th, 2017, 10:06 am

FiveThirtyEight discusses how placing bollards and other impediments between pedestrians and vehicles can help prevent vehicular terrorist attacks while also making cities safer everyday:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/ho ... e-livable/

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » May 6th, 2018, 9:55 pm

Drivers in Minnesota and the US are getting even worse at hit and run crashes.

http://www.startribune.com/the-drive-hi ... 481869601/

I guess the punishment isn’t harsh enough, tough on crime types will get right on pushing tougher punishment for this?

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » May 7th, 2018, 8:38 am

Nah, somehow this is the fault of people going the speed limit. If they'd just get out of the way of those who want to go faster, everything would be solved /s