Nicollet Mall

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
grant1simons2
IDS Center
Posts: 4267
Joined: February 8th, 2014, 11:33 pm
Location: Marcy-Holmes

Re: Nicollet Mall Reconstruction Project

Postby grant1simons2 » February 1st, 2017, 3:34 pm

Apparently there's a light walk preview that's gone up.

jonhanson
Block E
Posts: 3
Joined: February 13th, 2017, 3:36 pm

Re: Nicollet Mall Reconstruction Project

Postby jonhanson » February 13th, 2017, 3:42 pm

This, to me, is the second biggest problem in Minneapolis right now. How on earth has a repaving project taken two and a half years? (Yes, I know they did subterranean amenity work, but c'mon)

It's killed our retail and it's about to do worse with the restaurants. Can anyone who works in the downtown core attest to any work being done? I regularly walk through on weekends and am amazed as to the lack of progress, with NO WORK being done on weekend days. I was very excited for the Mall to be redone and when they brought in the big names to design it, I was even more encouraged. Now, it seems it's been a boondoggle and regardless of how nice it turns out, the damage will have been done.

grant1simons2
IDS Center
Posts: 4267
Joined: February 8th, 2014, 11:33 pm
Location: Marcy-Holmes

Re: Nicollet Mall Reconstruction Project

Postby grant1simons2 » February 13th, 2017, 3:56 pm

They aren't working in winter

They're replacing every single god damn utility that sits under the mall, and adding more.

No, this isn't what's killing the strong retailers like Sports Authority, Macys, Gap and Barnes and Noble.

It's starting to piss me off how many people are blaming this project for literally everything. Meanwhile Five Guys, Nordstrom rack, Kisa, Walgreens, YMCA, Velo renovations, Randles, etc.

Qhaberl
US Bank Plaza
Posts: 786
Joined: February 25th, 2016, 9:51 am

Re: Nicollet Mall Reconstruction Project

Postby Qhaberl » February 13th, 2017, 5:02 pm

I happened to have you opportunity to walk along Nicklett mall a couple days ago. At this point in the project, I am very disappointed with the concrete. It looks bland and boring.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5th Ave Guy
Landmark Center
Posts: 212
Joined: October 2nd, 2012, 3:11 pm
Location: North Loop

Re: Nicollet Mall Reconstruction Project

Postby 5th Ave Guy » February 13th, 2017, 5:09 pm

It doesn't seem like there's been any work done on the north end of the mall for several months; including week days. This may turn out beautiful, but I have to imagine they wish they would've planned the logistics better.

jonhanson
Block E
Posts: 3
Joined: February 13th, 2017, 3:36 pm

Re: Nicollet Mall Reconstruction Project

Postby jonhanson » February 13th, 2017, 7:27 pm

grant1simons2 wrote:
February 13th, 2017, 3:56 pm
They aren't working in winter

They're replacing every single god damn utility that sits under the mall, and adding more.
We curse on here now?

Mcgizz
Nicollet Mall
Posts: 144
Joined: December 2nd, 2014, 11:08 pm

Re: Nicollet Mall Reconstruction Project

Postby Mcgizz » February 13th, 2017, 7:48 pm

jonhanson wrote:
February 13th, 2017, 7:27 pm
grant1simons2 wrote:
February 13th, 2017, 3:56 pm
They aren't working in winter

They're replacing every single god damn utility that sits under the mall, and adding more.
We curse on here now?
Don't go outside, you just might hear a naughty word. Get over it.

seanrichardryan
Capella Tower
Posts: 3917
Joined: June 3rd, 2012, 9:33 pm
Location: Merriam Park, St. Paul
Contact:

Re: Nicollet Mall Reconstruction Project

Postby seanrichardryan » February 13th, 2017, 9:16 pm

Image
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

FranklinAveFixation
Metrodome
Posts: 70
Joined: January 12th, 2014, 8:17 am

Re: Nicollet Mall Reconstruction Project

Postby FranklinAveFixation » February 13th, 2017, 9:47 pm

Always thought Nicollet Mall was overrated myself, can't think of one building along that stretch that isn't a complete disaster as far as street face/walkablity. There's no way the finished product will be worth the wait on this one, sounds like the construction unions are milking this one for all its got. At least I learned that the rts. 17/18 are more useful and convenient when we run them down hennepin ave.
edit: I guess the Local is aight.

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower
Posts: 817
Joined: January 16th, 2014, 8:34 am
Location: Kingfield

Re: Nicollet Mall Reconstruction Project

Postby LakeCharles » February 13th, 2017, 9:57 pm

FranklinAveFixation wrote:
February 13th, 2017, 9:47 pm
Always thought Nicollet Mall was overrated myself, can't think of one building along that stretch that isn't a complete disaster as far as street face/walkablity. There's no way the finished product will be worth the wait on this one, sounds like the construction unions are milking this one for all its got. At least I learned that the rts. 17/18 are more useful and convenient when we run them down hennepin ave.
edit: I guess the Local is aight.
?

I assume you are just trolling, but the Medical Arts building is pretty great. 4 entrances in 1/3rd of a block. That whole block on the east side of Nicollet between 8th and 9th has 10 public entrances. Not too shabby.

FranklinAveFixation
Metrodome
Posts: 70
Joined: January 12th, 2014, 8:17 am

Re: Nicollet Mall Reconstruction Project

Postby FranklinAveFixation » February 13th, 2017, 10:08 pm

LakeCharles wrote:
February 13th, 2017, 9:57 pm
FranklinAveFixation wrote:
February 13th, 2017, 9:47 pm
Always thought Nicollet Mall was overrated myself, can't think of one building along that stretch that isn't a complete disaster as far as street face/walkablity. There's no way the finished product will be worth the wait on this one, sounds like the construction unions are milking this one for all its got. At least I learned that the rts. 17/18 are more useful and convenient when we run them down hennepin ave.
edit: I guess the Local is aight.
?

I assume you are just trolling, but the Medical Arts building is pretty great. 4 entrances in 1/3rd of a block. That whole block on the east side of Nicollet between 8th and 9th has 10 public entrances. Not too shabby.
If the city would stop letting zelo obstruct the whole sidewalk with their patio I might agree with you, somewhat.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center
Posts: 1078
Joined: November 15th, 2012, 10:01 am

Re: Nicollet Mall Reconstruction Project

Postby mamundsen » February 13th, 2017, 10:58 pm

I've thought, if we can survive this long... why why why are we putting the buses back? It should be pure peds only!

Silophant
Moderator
Posts: 3728
Joined: June 20th, 2012, 4:33 pm
Location: The Gateway

Re: Nicollet Mall Reconstruction Project

Postby Silophant » February 13th, 2017, 11:19 pm

Yep. They haven't started building the bus shelters yet, it's not too late to just not do it!

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge
Posts: 7841
Joined: June 19th, 2012, 2:04 pm
Location: NORI: NOrth of RIchfield

Re: Nicollet Mall Reconstruction Project

Postby mattaudio » February 14th, 2017, 9:55 am

If and only if we get dedicated (DEDICATED!) bus lanes on Hennepin and possibly 3rd Ave S. But yes, it's possible.

acs
Wells Fargo Center
Posts: 1377
Joined: March 26th, 2014, 8:41 pm

Re: Nicollet Mall Reconstruction Project

Postby acs » February 14th, 2017, 10:14 am

Forget Hennepin, 3rd ave makes too much sense not to have dedicated lanes. All the Nicollet Mall routes that cross the river go over the Central Ave. bridge, not on Hennepin. Only the 17 and 18 would have to jog over.

But yeah, removing the buses and making the mall ped+bike only has to be one of the top comments every single time this project comes up in the news.

SkyScraperKid

Re: Nicollet Mall Reconstruction Project

Postby SkyScraperKid » February 14th, 2017, 11:55 am

grant1simons2 wrote:
February 13th, 2017, 3:56 pm
They aren't working in winter

They're replacing every single god damn utility that sits under the mall, and adding more.

No, this isn't what's killing the strong retailers like Sports Authority, Macys, Gap and Barnes and Noble.

It's starting to piss me off how many people are blaming this project for literally everything. Meanwhile F̶i̶v̶e̶ ̶G̶u̶y̶s̶, Nordstrom rack, K̶i̶s̶a̶,̶ ̶W̶a̶l̶g̶r̶e̶e̶n̶s̶,̶ ̶Y̶M̶C̶A̶, ̶V̶e̶l̶o̶ ̶r̶e̶n̶o̶v̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶s̶,̶ ̶R̶a̶n̶d̶l̶e̶s̶, etc.
Five guys is skyway location, Kisa is existing retailer relocating to ground level, Walgreens moved and expanded store size slightly, YMCA also moved a block over from Lasalle to Nicollet Mall, and Velo & Randles are existing retail so to speak. Mordstrom rack is the only sizeable gain mentioned on your list. Which is hardly enough to fill the void of Sports Authority, Macys, Gap and Barnes and Noble.

Maybe we even need to add Radio shack to that rotted retail list? A Lot of these stores had problems with decaying customer bases, which of course can't be used to place ALL the blame on the remodel. However the Nicollet Mall of the future is shaping up to have anchors that include, Target, YMCA, and YWCA. Luckily we are also so blessed to have Marshalls, Saks off Fifth, and Nordstrom's Rack.

Nicollet Mall is being built on a much more stable retail footing, which is for the good. Now let's deal with reality, and not try to pretend that a bunch of retailers shifting locations is a positive thing when you have another bunch of retailers running the hell out of town!

twinkess
Rice Park
Posts: 458
Joined: November 26th, 2012, 10:46 am

Re: Nicollet Mall Reconstruction Project

Postby twinkess » February 14th, 2017, 12:00 pm

Five Guys is ground floor with a direct entrance on the Mall. Source: I've been there.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge
Posts: 7841
Joined: June 19th, 2012, 2:04 pm
Location: NORI: NOrth of RIchfield

Re: Nicollet Mall Reconstruction Project

Postby mattaudio » February 14th, 2017, 12:04 pm

It's almost like we should be getting a transit tunnel in exchange for this much disruption.

grant1simons2
IDS Center
Posts: 4267
Joined: February 8th, 2014, 11:33 pm
Location: Marcy-Holmes

Re: Nicollet Mall Reconstruction Project

Postby grant1simons2 » February 14th, 2017, 12:35 pm

Retailers running the hell out of town: Macys, Barnes and Noble, Sports Authority, Radio Shack, Gap

Retailers running the hell out of money: Macys, Barnes and Noble, Sports Authority, Radio Shack, Gap

Retailers that left way before all of this: Ralph Lauren, Saks Fifth Ave, Nieman Marcus, Cole Haan

minntransplant
Nicollet Mall
Posts: 130
Joined: June 1st, 2012, 7:44 pm

Re: Nicollet Mall Reconstruction Project

Postby minntransplant » February 14th, 2017, 2:00 pm

5th Ave Guy wrote:
February 13th, 2017, 5:09 pm
It doesn't seem like there's been any work done on the north end of the mall for several months; including week days. This may turn out beautiful, but I have to imagine they wish they would've planned the logistics better.
When I arrive downtown in the morning, it is rare I see anyone working on this project. Same when I walk around at lunch. Same when I'm heading home. I have no idea why there aren't bodies up and down Nicollet every day.


Return to “Minneapolis - Downtown”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests