Minneapolis Mayoral Election 2017

Elections - City Councils and Commissions - Policies
EOst
Capella Tower

Re: Minneapolis Mayoral Election 2017

Postby EOst » February 15th, 2017, 2:26 pm

I wondered the same thing. If he were to do the "downtown crime" thing he might be able to get some or most of that 11% that went for Cam Winton last time. Combine that with another constituency and maybe he could have a path, but he would presumably need Dehn and NLP voters in the later rounds (assuming Hodges/Frey get 1st and 2nd, and Dehn/NLP pull 3rd and 4th), and that seems like a tough marriage to arrange.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » February 15th, 2017, 3:22 pm

I suppose it's possible that he (like perhaps NLP) is joining the race to push a particular set of issues, even if he doesn't see a clear path to victory. He's at the point in his career where he probably isn't so concerned about stepping up the ladder anymore.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » February 21st, 2017, 5:57 pm

As expected, Tom Hoch announced his campaign.

I like Tom.

I do not like his minimalist campaign logo.

Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » February 21st, 2017, 6:04 pm

It looks like his family is also not impressed by the logo.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » February 21st, 2017, 6:35 pm

a better shot Image

bivaly
Block E

Postby bivaly » February 28th, 2017, 8:13 am

First Mayoral Forum on Wednesday, March 8. Hopefully we'll be able to get actual policy positions from the candidates as opposed to soft Facebook posts.

https://www.facebook.com/events/421644601514782

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » February 28th, 2017, 9:36 am

Hosted by a council member and a satirist?
Odd.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » February 28th, 2017, 1:11 pm

First Mayoral Forum on Wednesday, March 8. Hopefully we'll be able to get actual policy positions from the candidates as opposed to soft Facebook posts.

https://www.facebook.com/events/421644601514782
Way too small of capacity for the *first* mayoral forum, with no future events even scheduled yet. If this were the 3rd or 4th event to occur, it would probably be fine. Even though it's primarily intended to be for Ward 10 residents, I don't think that's how it's going to play out. I don't mean to disparage the event organizers, but this has pretty high potential to blow up in their faces.

bivaly
Block E

Postby bivaly » February 28th, 2017, 1:17 pm

Way too small of capacity for the *first* mayoral forum, with no future events even scheduled yet. If this were the 3rd or 4th event to occur, it would probably be fine. Even though it's primarily intended to be for Ward 10 residents, I don't think that's how it's going to play out. I don't mean to disparage the event organizers, but this has pretty high potential to blow up in their faces.
In light of no one doing anything else, I'm going to thank the organizers rather than criticize but you do you.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » February 28th, 2017, 1:25 pm

I'm going to choose to criticize the MPLS DFL for feeling the need to try to winnow the field of candidates before the general electorate has a chance to weigh in (or even pay attention, for that matter).

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 28th, 2017, 1:27 pm

Who's not already paying attention to the mayoral race? It's rather mainstream.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » February 28th, 2017, 1:35 pm

Just anecdotal, but I'd say that fewer than 10% of Minneapolis voters could name even three of the five announced candidates.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » February 28th, 2017, 1:47 pm

Hey now that's nearly 1/3 of the people who will actually turn out and vote this November (about 33% of eligible voters in 2013). I'd say not bad for February!

For the record, I'm with MNdible on this. I'd rather the Mpls DFL respect the circumstances of existing in a one-party city, respect that we have ranked choice voting, etc. and just stay the hell out of the Mayoral race entirely. (this is very poorly stated, but I think y'all know what I mean)

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » February 28th, 2017, 1:51 pm

I'm drafting a resolution (or whatever) for precinct caucuses that would basically tell the DFL to not endorse for city races (mayor, councilmember, park board, school board, etc) and instead put resources into getting out the vote.

I've heard that having a city DFL organization is kind of odd, how do cities without a city party do stuff? As far as I can tell the city DFL doesn't send anything up to the state level, so what purpose do they serve?

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 28th, 2017, 2:19 pm

Or, the city DFL should do a "past the post" endorsement of potentially multiple candidates. Something more scientific like, you know, actual documented commitment to DFL policy planks via candidate questionnaires. That would be far more helpful to voters than a student council popularity contest on caucus night.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » February 28th, 2017, 2:21 pm

Just anecdotal, but I'd say that fewer than 10% of Minneapolis voters could name even three of the five announced candidates.
Let's see. Hodges, obviously. Frey. Levy-Pounds (had to Google to remember which order the names go). Dehn. There's another one?

Oh, right, Hoch, which I just read up thread.

Anyway, no, I don't think 10% of voters could name three candidates.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » February 28th, 2017, 2:38 pm

Or, the city DFL should do a "past the post" endorsement of potentially multiple candidates. Something more scientific like, you know, actual documented commitment to DFL policy planks via candidate questionnaires. That would be far more helpful to voters than a student council popularity contest on caucus night.
Yeah I've thought about this, but the conclusion I've come to is that the current process doesn't ensure someone abides by the principals of the DFL. It just ensures you can find a bunch of people that don't mind wasting a beautiful spring day in some stodgy school auditorium to fill a room. I think it comes down to me not being able to trust anybody (candidates or current city DFL leadership) administer a commitment test without gaming it or letting their personal biases in.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » March 9th, 2017, 2:53 pm

Given the mayoral forum took place last night, I'm kinda surprised nobody has fired off their hot take in this thread.

Anybody's 1-2-3 change?

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » March 30th, 2017, 6:44 pm

Didn't see it, but tweeted at Frey after his team called yesterday & he called today and was impressively candid. A significant part of his message was that we need change from the current mayor.

The mayor also responded to my tweet, so i suppose i should give her equal time.

Which way are y'all leaning?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bermanp7
Block E

Postby bermanp7 » March 31st, 2017, 12:09 am

I've been knocking doors for the mayor since the start of February. I hope you do get the chance to talk to Betsy, and I hope she earns your support. When she talks, I always feel like she has thought things through. I feel like she takes on the hard problems, makes responsible rather than easy choices, and moves the proverbial Overton window to the left. I have a few specifics to throw out. Note that I'm speaking 100% for myself here.

* In 2013, candidate Hodges expressed openness to a municipal energy utility. Business went nuts (how DARE she challenge Xcel!). We didn't get the utility, but we did get a historic Clean Energy Partnership.

* Mayor Hodges proposed parts of WFA. Business again freaked out (CLEARLY she's never run a restaurant!). It was messy, but we got the sick/safe time ordinance, and fair scheduling is at least in the conversation now. As for minimum wage: We might have gotten help at the state level if Madame President had been elected with coattails. Sadly (and unexpectedly to most), Hillary lost with negative coattails. So Minneapolis has to go it alone. After seeing Saru Jayaraman's talk at the U in February, I'm with those (including Betsy) who think a tip crenalty would set a harmful precedent. The controversy here has only gotten started.

* A harder example: SWLRT. As I understand it, freight relocation would've required 20-foot earthen berms, thus destroying the heart of St. Louis Park. Betsy made the tough choice to accept colocation (with conditions) over either relocation or nothing-at-all. This shows regional thinking and knowledge of the benefits of light rail, including the equity benefits that David Greene writes so passionately about. Note that Betsy was willing to incur the wrath of homeowners in KENWOOD of all places, just to keep SWLRT alive.

* Another hard example: Police reforms by Betsy and Chief Harteau, together with a variety of violence prevention/health programs. Few if any cities are doing as much as Minneapolis in this area (name one?). I think it will take time (and engagement with the police) to know whether these reforms are successful. Re: 4th Precinct Shutdown, there's trauma, and I want to honor that. And yes, Betsy publicly echoed MPD talking points, and many (including myself) criticized that at the time. On the other hand: Not mentioned in media coverage of the DOJ report is that it details how Betsy fought hard behind the scenes on behalf of the protesters, to delay and demilitarize police action. Cops wanted to tear down tents on Day 1. I don't take for granted that the occupation happened at all. No simple narratives here.

* Did you read Pat Reusse's 2015 column blasting "Bike Lane Betsy" for saying No to the soccer stadium tax break? I say Bravo on both counts. Car-centric planning and stadium-type deals are two things that--each in their own way--have looked good in the short term but have had terrible long-term consequences for Minneapolis. Betsy got her start in politics protesting Block E in the 1990s, and I'm grateful that she hasn't created any new messes like that. I tend to be skeptical of "vision" that involves branding and/or tax breaks for big shiny projects. When talking to backers of the Royalston soccer deal, I had the sense that they thought it was so obviously a great deal that there was no serious debate to be had.

* And other points, including the streets/parks deal with sound financing and equity; organics recycling; progress on a Complete Streets policy; and the hiring of Robin Hutcheson (who the Minneapolis Bike Coalition called "visionary") for Public Works.

* And everything she accomplished in her 8 years as City Councilmember beforehand. On the budget committee, she responsibly dealt with the triple-whammy of the Great Recession, Pawlenty LGA cuts, and past city budgetary mistakes. She cut the middlemen out of troubled city pensions. She opposed the Vikings stadium deal and championed Nice Ride.

I hope this is not unhelpful, either to you or to Betsy (again, I'm only speaking for myself here). Thanks for reading.