City Club Apartments - 1000 Marquette Ave (Handicraft Building)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Silophant

Re: 10th & Marquette Handicraft Building Development

Postby Silophant » July 25th, 2016, 5:34 pm

It might be (probably is?) just staging for Nicollet Mall-related utility work, but there's been a small excavator parallel parked on 10th in front of the Engine Room space (just east of Devil's Advocate) since last week.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » August 11th, 2016, 7:47 pm

Just stopped by, looks like the current tenant leases run through October, so wait for work in this til then at least.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » August 11th, 2016, 10:23 pm

Givens Violins already moved a couple blocks down Marquette, didn't they? I thought the last tenant was Devil's Advocate?
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » December 19th, 2016, 12:55 pm

Devil's Advocate is the hold out tenant according to Bizjournals

Silophant

Postby Silophant » December 19th, 2016, 1:20 pm

What a depressingly locked article.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » March 3rd, 2017, 9:26 am

Devil's Advocate is the hold out tenant according to Bizjournals

Was reading through the forms and noticed this topic. It seems like there's not much information about it. Has the development proposal completely past The planning commission? If it did, I would assume they need to start construction fairly quickly; otherwise, risk having to go through the planning commission again. According to the last post, devils advocate is the last tenant still holding out. Anything new? Is this project dead? The Minneapolis development tracker still lists the project on its website. Just curious if anyone has any news or insights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » March 3rd, 2017, 9:29 am

I'd be pretty okay with this development falling through, and would hope that some of the unique retail that used to be here would find a way back.

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » March 3rd, 2017, 9:45 am

I'd be pretty okay with this development falling through, and would hope that some of the unique retail that used to be here would find a way back.
What exactly do you not like about it?

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » March 3rd, 2017, 10:11 am

I don't really care for it either...it tears down one of the few remaining nice old buildings over there....that had active retail...and replaces it with no retail, and a somewhat dead streetscape.

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

Postby Qhaberl » March 3rd, 2017, 10:19 am

I don't really care for it either...it tears down one of the few remaining nice old buildings over there....that had active retail...and replaces it with no retail, and a somewhat dead streetscape.
That's unfortunate. I can't believe the planning commission actually approved something like that. You think they would want active Street front.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » March 3rd, 2017, 10:38 am

I don't mind the plan, but it's time for them to shit or get off the pot. Kicking all the tenants out and letting it sit empty for years(!) is the worst possible outcome.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » March 3rd, 2017, 11:16 am

I hate that too!

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » March 3rd, 2017, 12:18 pm

Approvals would expire in Sept of this year.

Here's a link to the last council actions, which granted (in part) the appeal by WCCO discussed on the previous pages. As a refresher, the developer planned balconies that would come within 2 inches of the shared property line with WCCO. The Planning Commission approved. WCCO appealed that decision. The City Council granted WCCO's appeal in part, requiring a 2.5 foot setback.

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » March 4th, 2017, 1:04 am

The Handicraft Building holds so much art and design history - it is one of those "historic sites" that should just be protected no matter what...

Qhaberl
Foshay Tower

10th & Marquette Handicraft Building Development

Postby Qhaberl » March 4th, 2017, 9:01 am

Obviously everything's already been approved, would there be a way in which they could preserve the handcrafted building and build above it or around it? I am all for preserving these historic buildings.

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » March 4th, 2017, 9:03 pm

Target had looked at building a third tower on that corner with Nicollet... but instead renovated that old record store into some kind of innovation meeting space... They had some plan to renovate those two Handicraft Guild structures... The Minneapolis Institute of Arts had an exhibition called Minnesota 1900: Art and Life on the Upper Mississippi... So much of our arts community was established with this Guild... I think the building on 10 and Marquette is not protected but the one in the middle of the block facing 10th is protected...

SkyScraperKid

Postby SkyScraperKid » March 4th, 2017, 10:26 pm

Obviously everything's already been approved, would there be a way in which they could preserve the handcrafted building and build above it or around it? I am all for preserving these historic buildings.

:lol: If you read your posting backwards you answer your own question. I know your grasping at straws looking for some thread of hope but like YOU said it's been approved, so unless the developer gets cold feet it's gonna go bye bye.

1West

Postby 1West » March 5th, 2017, 7:53 pm

:lol: If you read your posting backwards you answer your own question. I know your grasping at straws looking for some thread of hope but like YOU said it's been approved, so unless the developer gets cold feet it's gonna go bye bye.
This is downtown Minneapolis. It's famous for things NOT getting built after they've been rarely approved... especially if it's over 10 storIes. I'd say there's a 50-50 chance of this being restored.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » March 5th, 2017, 9:51 pm

I'm no preservationist but at least the facades should be preserved.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SkyScraperKid

Postby SkyScraperKid » March 8th, 2017, 8:47 pm

This is downtown Minneapolis. It's famous for things NOT getting built after they've been rarely approved... especially if it's over 10 storIes. I'd say there's a 50-50 chance of this being restored.
Actually you should read up the pages in this thread. They kicked out the other tenants rather aggressively, and when it came to the last tenant it seems to suggest they are trying to force them to hold up the full term of the lease. Also the approval still stands and only suggests that another redevelopment on the site would have the same or similar result such as preserving the same portion while tearing down the rest.

But you keep on wishing and pulling numbers out of your hat. Cause the only thing that I know you're right on is that you know what city this project is being proposed to be built in.