Unsafe Pedestrian Crossings with Mitigation Strategies (RRFB's, HAWK's, etc.)

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
DerekLehrke
Block E

Unsafe Pedestrian Crossings with Mitigation Strategies (RRFB's, HAWK's, etc.)

Postby DerekLehrke » March 1st, 2017, 10:25 am

I am posting this topic as I have found articles on StreetsMN in the past that somewhat answer this question but want to see if I can get some help in consolidating it. I am looking to get user opinions on pedestrian crossing where unsafe interactions between pedestrians and vehicles are occurring and focusing on locations that have already implemented mitigation strategies. (RRFB's, HAWK's, etc.) I am currently working on a project that is looking at the effectiveness of these different treatments but many of the locations where I have collected data are working as designed (which is good) or where peds/vehicles were not close enough in proximity to the crossing at the same time to draw any significant conclusions. I would like to get data from a location where the treatment is failing for comparison.

As mentioned before I am focusing on locations that have mitigation strategies but would also be interested in any location where there is a large number of pedestrian crossings and mitigations strategies may be implemented in the near future for a before/after study.

As I have not traveled the entirety of Minnesota please include either a full nearby address or GPS coordinates.

Thank you to everyone in advance for your responses.

sdho
US Bank Plaza

Re: Unsafe Pedestrian Crossings with Mitigation Strategies (RRFB's, HAWK's, etc.)

Postby sdho » March 1st, 2017, 1:25 pm

Although it is is not a new strategy, 1st Ave S and E 17th St is a particularly ineffective pedestrian beacon:

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.9660208 ... 56!6m1!1e1

There are two RRFBs that come to mind across very wide Xerxes/York Ave in Richfield and Edina. I have heard complaints out of both of these that motorists are not compliant:

Xerxes & 64th
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Xerxe ... 79!6m1!1e1

York & Parklawn
https://www.google.com/maps/@44.8679414 ... 312!8i6656

One other installation that I don't know the efficacy of either way, but I'd be curious about: W Old Shakopee Rd and Kell Ave
https://www.google.com/maps/@44.8089899 ... 312!8i6656

This is across a high-speed, high-volume four-lane death road. On the other hand, it's also more eye-catching that a typical RRFB, with that mast arm.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Re: Unsafe Pedestrian Crossings with Mitigation Strategies (RRFB's, HAWK's, etc.)

Postby mattaudio » March 1st, 2017, 1:38 pm

I don't understand the appeal of spending piles of money for RRFBs when refuge medians plus signage seem to encourage better compliance by motorists (by "channelizing responsibility" to one driver at a time). We have a beacon which was recently upgraded to RRFB at 47th and Chicago, and compliance is far lower than even medians without signage, such as 46th St and 17th Ave, 42nd St and 17th Ave, or 46th St and Oakland Ave (has crosswalk signage but no beacon/lighting).

billhelm
Nicollet Mall

Postby billhelm » March 1st, 2017, 3:46 pm

Anecdotally, 47th and Chicago seems to be more compliant with the RRFB then it ever was with the old blinkies (I cross it 3-4 days a week). I'd be curious to see actual data. I'm a big dude and I'm prone to waving like an idiot so they see me, so maybe there's some bias in my experience.

Vagueperson
Union Depot

Postby Vagueperson » March 1st, 2017, 8:43 pm

Maryland Avenue in St. Paul is supposed to have a 4-3 conversion test this summer between Greenbrier and Johnson Parkway.
White Bear Avenue in St. Paul is supposed to get a HAWK at Margaret Street, but I can't remember when.

ztr421
Nicollet Mall

Postby ztr421 » March 8th, 2017, 10:53 am

Sorry if I've misunderstood your request (if you're only looking for info on crossings that already have warning lights/beacons...).

I think the newish crosswalk at 8th Ave N and Washington Ave N is an example of one that mostly doesn't work, and I'd love to see the addition of warning lights. Simply painting a crosswalk hasn't addressed the larger problem, which I think is a need for driver education regarding pedestrians. I see multiple pedestrians daily who wait for traffic to clear, and rarely do I see drivers proactively stop for a pedestrian.

https://goo.gl/maps/XEaFCFgjXJB2

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » March 8th, 2017, 11:09 am

I know it was probably out of budget for a re-paint, but Washington Ave's new 3 lane profile is ripe for some refuge islands (mid-block maybe).

sdho
US Bank Plaza

Postby sdho » March 8th, 2017, 8:27 pm

I know it was probably out of budget for a re-paint, but Washington Ave's new 3 lane profile is ripe for some refuge islands (mid-block maybe).
Definitely. 7th, 8th, and 9th all have three-way intersections, so the SB/EB left turn lane isn't needed. Those are stressful to cross at, even with three-lane.