Peavey Plaza

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
MNdible
is great.

Re: Peavey Plaza

Postby MNdible » April 21st, 2017, 9:33 am

Looks like a pretty light touch to me. The biggest changes are related to providing accessibility, which everybody in the preservationist camp agreed was necessary.

Remember that the objectionable plan represented complete demolition down to bare earth. Throwing around "preservation" in association with that plan would have been absurd.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » April 21st, 2017, 9:35 am

Wait, those brass columns were originally silver?
Goes to show how much neglect has happened in the park and why preservation is difficult because so many people have perceptions based on current realities.

It's never been about total restoration. Its been about respecting the original features and architecturaldesign while bringing it up to code to create a very usable space in this century. Which was very possible without the sterilization the city had proposed.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » April 21st, 2017, 9:44 am

It's accessible now, but damn, that looks like a minefield for anyone trying to navigate in a wheelchair with all of the drop offs.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » April 21st, 2017, 9:59 am

Looks like a pretty light touch to me.
Those ramps are both pretty big, structural changes.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » April 21st, 2017, 11:43 am

But as far as I can tell, the changes respect the original design. Preservation always involves changes to make things work in the current world.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » April 21st, 2017, 11:52 am

Right. There are changes in the new design, but they were done in consultation with the original architect, and they're going out of their way to respect the distinctive features of the original plaza (the depression, the pool, the angular concrete geometry). The redo shot down by the courts was just a new plaza on the same site, with no other relationship to the original.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » April 21st, 2017, 1:00 pm

Wait, those brass columns were originally silver?
Goes to show how much neglect has happened in the park and why preservation is difficult because so many people have perceptions based on current realities.

It's never been about total restoration. Its been about respecting the original features and architecturaldesign while bringing it up to code to create a very usable space in this century. Which was very possible without the sterilization the city had proposed.
The rust color you see on the brass columns is caused by the chemical reaction of the water pouring over it for many years, in addition to the oxidation of the steel columns via the air. They were originally silver when the plaza opened.

I went to the early April meeting and am thrilled with the respect and sensitivity of the architects showed re: the restoration. Yes , there will be some changes, but as you say make it more accessible, particularly for people with disabilities. Additionally, the ramp on 12th street will make it much easier to load and unload equipment for concerts and other programming in the park.

KML_1981
Nicollet Mall

Postby KML_1981 » April 21st, 2017, 1:10 pm

Yeah, this looks like a total win to me, unless I'm missing something?

Mooglemuffins
Nicollet Mall

Postby Mooglemuffins » April 26th, 2017, 10:13 pm

Wow! This looks fantastic. When my wife and I first moved here we lived in Loring Park and would walk down Nicollet on the way to work. We always wondered when they were going to turn the cool looking fountain in Peavey on when warm weather came but when it never happened we were kind of bummed. Glad to see this place isn't forgotten about and I look forward to seeing the revitalization!

Silophant

Postby Silophant » April 27th, 2017, 7:42 am

I wish there was a way to integrate public bathrooms into the restoration, but that's probably too big of a change.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Mooglemuffins
Nicollet Mall

Postby Mooglemuffins » April 27th, 2017, 8:36 am

I wish there was a way to integrate public bathrooms into the restoration, but that's probably too big of a change.
That would be nice, as long as they kept a handle on the custodial of them. All the other places downtown that actually have public bathrooms like the Target or the Barnes & Noble usually seem end up downright atrocious not long into the day. Which is unfortunate.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » May 26th, 2017, 8:26 pm

Who likes site plans and elevations?

http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/www/gro ... 199107.pdf

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » May 26th, 2017, 10:26 pm

I dooooooooo

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » June 1st, 2017, 11:50 am

When is work on this supposed to get underway? Anyone heard any updates on that?

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » June 1st, 2017, 12:35 pm

Construction beginning in February 2018 complete May 2019

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » June 1st, 2017, 12:57 pm

Thanks! I figured it was buried in there somewhere, thank you for finding. So far away. Sometimes it feels like we are never going to have nice things again.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » June 1st, 2017, 4:16 pm

8 months away. You'll live. Nicollet will be done by then and the scores of downtown workers can start complaining about the construction timeline of another thing they never appreciate.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » June 1st, 2017, 8:43 pm

That was rude, snarky and uncalled for. 2 years from completion actually, and it's looked like trash for years (and will look even worse for the year of construction). I have as much civic pride or more as anyone here...but walking around downtown lately honestly changes my mood to depressed real quick. I know it'll all be done one day, but it's in a pretty sad looking state right now...nothing wrong with me or anyone else being upset about that.

If you knew me you would know that comment is soooooo far off base from what my attitude is about the situation. My Facebook is like a Mpls Promotional page and has been for many years...which is why the current state of many things about downtown actually honestly affects my mood. Saddens me to not be able to show off our CBD or brag about the retail and activity.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » June 2nd, 2017, 8:06 am

What's snarky is the constant battering of its construction after businesses chose to pay less for the project than originally intended. This forced the city to go with the lowest bid.

By the way, it wasn't a personal attack. I know you're a good guy Mike. It was intended to give hell to people posting on Twitter everyday about how slow construction is. I get the same feeling that you do, but this kind of construction that's goal is to preserve takes a lot longer than new construction. I agree, downtown is starting to look a bit depressing along Nicollet and Hennepin, but in 4 years both streets will be completely transformed.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » June 2nd, 2017, 10:03 am

Thanks, sorry for the overreaction...oh yes, I am always defending this and other projects. It just gets more difficult to do so over time. At least now we can see real progress! Hopefully we will start to hear more announcements for tenants as construction is past the hump, and hopefully this poured concrete doesn't end up being a huge downfall. Had to cut somewhere. A lot went wrong with the process/bidding...it wasn't really businesses choosing to pay less, there should not have been a surprise THAT big! So after all the defending, I hope these turn out nice! Anyway, tangent, sorry.