Minneapolis Skyway System

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
gyc
Block E
Posts: 5
Joined: June 6th, 2013, 10:17 pm

Re: Minneapolis Skyway System

Postby gyc » April 24th, 2017, 1:15 pm

As somebody who lives near downtown but doesn't work downtown, the skyway is confusing and intimidating for me to use as somebody who uses it every once in a while when I work at home for the day. I'm not quite sure what stores/restaurants are in the skyway, it's confusing for me to get to a specific place in the skyway and easy to get lost/lose my bearings given its layout is divorced from the street grid, and I'm not sure which parts of the skyway closes after business hours. The fact that so many retail stores and restaurants are located on the skyway level make the streets look especially deserted and unsafe at night. I understand that the skyway is great for downtown office workers in inclement weather, but for people who are not using it everyday, it can be confusing and intimidating.

gopherfan
Metrodome
Posts: 82
Joined: January 15th, 2013, 5:09 pm

Re: Minneapolis Skyway System

Postby gopherfan » April 24th, 2017, 1:28 pm

xandrex wrote:
April 24th, 2017, 11:10 am
The fact that the new Xcel building lacks any retail presence whatsoever on our pedestrian/transit mall has more of an impact than the fact that the building is skyway connected.
The other problem with the Xcel building is they don't follow the Skyway hours. The street access has always been locked in the evenings before 10pm whenever I've tried to access or leave the skyways from that location. Might be locked all day too...

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center
Posts: 1759
Joined: October 31st, 2014, 12:50 pm

Re: Minneapolis Skyway System

Postby amiller92 » April 24th, 2017, 1:55 pm

gyc wrote:
April 24th, 2017, 1:15 pm
The fact that so many retail stores and restaurants are located on the skyway level make the streets look especially deserted and unsafe at night.
That's probably not quite right, but only because there's no on in the skyways at night either!

SurlyLHT
US Bank Plaza
Posts: 690
Joined: February 21st, 2017, 3:50 pm

Re: Minneapolis Skyway System

Postby SurlyLHT » April 24th, 2017, 2:44 pm

The Five Guys is open on weekends and the Chipolte near Target is open on Saturdays. They're are probably others but it'll take some research.

David Greene
IDS Center
Posts: 4760
Joined: December 4th, 2012, 11:41 am

Re: Minneapolis Skyway System

Postby David Greene » April 24th, 2017, 7:32 pm

I'm pretty sure we've hit the Panera on a weekend.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center
Posts: 1358
Joined: January 30th, 2013, 11:14 am

Re: Minneapolis Skyway System

Postby xandrex » April 25th, 2017, 9:38 am

Silophant wrote:
April 24th, 2017, 12:00 pm
As to the ever-present comparison to the North Loop, I'll repeat that the North Loop retail resurgence took off close to a full decade after we started building thousands of residential units there. The downtown core has had half that.
Not to mention the fact that much of the North Loop’s growth in retail has largely been high-end boutiques and restaurants, mostly clustered on one end of the neighborhood. Reaching affordable daily wants/needs can still require leaving the area.

Askov Finlayson and Spoon & Stable are great, but they’re not exactly for the hoi polloi.

swallman
City Center
Posts: 48
Joined: July 9th, 2014, 12:25 pm
Location: Central Business District

Re: Minneapolis Skyway System

Postby swallman » April 25th, 2017, 3:53 pm

xandrex wrote:
April 25th, 2017, 9:38 am
Silophant wrote:
April 24th, 2017, 12:00 pm
As to the ever-present comparison to the North Loop, I'll repeat that the North Loop retail resurgence took off close to a full decade after we started building thousands of residential units there. The downtown core has had half that.
Not to mention the fact that much of the North Loop’s growth in retail has largely been high-end boutiques and restaurants, mostly clustered on one end of the neighborhood. Reaching affordable daily wants/needs can still require leaving the area.

Askov Finlayson and Spoon & Stable are great, but they’re not exactly for the hoi polloi.
Exactly...we live in the NL and don't really shop at most of the stores in the area. How about a CVS or Walgreens? Shoot we wouldn't even mind some fast food in the area lol. Would love to get a small Target in the area (yes, we go to the one downtown but its a fair walk, especially if you buy anything significant).

User avatar
Mooglemuffins
Nicollet Mall
Posts: 147
Joined: April 26th, 2017, 7:36 am
Location: Longfellow

Re: Minneapolis Skyway System

Postby Mooglemuffins » April 26th, 2017, 11:11 am

swallman wrote:
April 25th, 2017, 3:53 pm

Exactly...we live in the NL and don't really shop at most of the stores in the area. How about a CVS or Walgreens? Shoot we wouldn't even mind some fast food in the area lol. Would love to get a small Target in the area (yes, we go to the one downtown but its a fair walk, especially if you buy anything significant).
One of those Express Targets like they have over in Dinkytown or like the one in Highland Park over in St Paul would be perfect.

dajazz
Nicollet Mall
Posts: 130
Joined: May 12th, 2016, 8:11 am

Re: Minneapolis Skyway System

Postby dajazz » April 26th, 2017, 3:08 pm

Mooglemuffins wrote:
April 26th, 2017, 11:11 am
swallman wrote:
April 25th, 2017, 3:53 pm

Exactly...we live in the NL and don't really shop at most of the stores in the area. How about a CVS or Walgreens? Shoot we wouldn't even mind some fast food in the area lol. Would love to get a small Target in the area (yes, we go to the one downtown but its a fair walk, especially if you buy anything significant).
One of those Express Targets like they have over in Dinkytown or like the one in Highland Park over in St Paul would be perfect.
That would be perfect on the surface lots on 2nd & Washington across from the Sex World building.

User avatar
Mooglemuffins
Nicollet Mall
Posts: 147
Joined: April 26th, 2017, 7:36 am
Location: Longfellow

Re: Minneapolis Skyway System

Postby Mooglemuffins » April 26th, 2017, 3:24 pm

dajazz wrote:
April 26th, 2017, 3:08 pm

That would be perfect on the surface lots on 2nd & Washington across from the Sex World building.
As long as they put some parking under it. Those surface lots are where most of the people from my office park at :D

swallman
City Center
Posts: 48
Joined: July 9th, 2014, 12:25 pm
Location: Central Business District

Re: Minneapolis Skyway System

Postby swallman » April 26th, 2017, 3:26 pm

Mooglemuffins wrote:
April 26th, 2017, 3:24 pm
dajazz wrote:
April 26th, 2017, 3:08 pm

That would be perfect on the surface lots on 2nd & Washington across from the Sex World building.
As long as they put some parking under it. Those surface lots are where most of the people from my office park at :D
You work at SexWorld? ;)

User avatar
Mooglemuffins
Nicollet Mall
Posts: 147
Joined: April 26th, 2017, 7:36 am
Location: Longfellow

Re: Minneapolis Skyway System

Postby Mooglemuffins » April 26th, 2017, 3:28 pm

swallman wrote:
April 26th, 2017, 3:26 pm
You work at SexWorld? ;)
Lol! Naw, my job isn't quite as erotic unless you consider software development pornographic.

grrdanko
Nicollet Mall
Posts: 144
Joined: December 21st, 2014, 3:14 pm
Location: Downtown

Re: Minneapolis Skyway System

Postby grrdanko » September 8th, 2017, 10:21 am

http://www.startribune.com/county-board ... 443133103/

This article mentions that Thrivant Financial's new building will connect HCMC to the Skyway system.

Even if Thrivant's new building is underwhelming this is a big win for downtown residents with mobility challenges.

User avatar
VacantLuxuries
US Bank Plaza
Posts: 717
Joined: February 20th, 2015, 12:38 pm

Re: Minneapolis Skyway System

Postby VacantLuxuries » September 8th, 2017, 12:09 pm

It does, however, indicate we're getting a half block with an exposed skyway a la their existing building, or a full block development.

I'm not particularly excited about either of those prospects.

SurlyLHT
US Bank Plaza
Posts: 690
Joined: February 21st, 2017, 3:50 pm

Re: Minneapolis Skyway System

Postby SurlyLHT » September 18th, 2017, 11:02 am

Does anyone know if there is an App, or new signage or etc. planned for the skyway before the Superbowl? I just helped another person staying at their phone trying to decipher the skyway map, but remaining lost. It seems like there is incentive to make something happen or at least fix the worn out signs.

billhelm
Nicollet Mall
Posts: 167
Joined: June 1st, 2012, 10:59 am

Re: Minneapolis Skyway System

Postby billhelm » September 19th, 2017, 11:06 am

SurlyLHT wrote:
September 18th, 2017, 11:02 am
Does anyone know if there is an App, or new signage or etc. planned for the skyway before the Superbowl? I just helped another person staying at their phone trying to decipher the skyway map, but remaining lost. It seems like there is incentive to make something happen or at least fix the worn out signs.
worn out and/or seriously outdated. I see a lot of signs with building names that haven't been used for a long while.. many still have "metrodome" on them.

gopherfan
Metrodome
Posts: 82
Joined: January 15th, 2013, 5:09 pm

Re: Minneapolis Skyway System

Postby gopherfan » September 19th, 2017, 11:27 am

Fun fact (Wish someone would write an article about this) Michael McLaughlin who has served as Vice President of District Services for the Minneapolis Downtown Council owns the company that does all the signage... corruption?? coincidence?? conspiracy??
http://www.urbanworks.com/skyway-system
http://www.urbanworks.com/about-us

DTSB
City Center
Posts: 41
Joined: February 5th, 2013, 12:31 pm
Location: Loring Park

Re: Minneapolis Skyway System

Postby DTSB » September 21st, 2017, 4:40 am

SurlyLHT wrote:
September 18th, 2017, 11:02 am
Does anyone know if there is an App, or new signage or etc. planned for the skyway before the Superbowl? I just helped another person staying at their phone trying to decipher the skyway map, but remaining lost. It seems like there is incentive to make something happen or at least fix the worn out signs.
Is this a map people use? It seems pretty good. http://www.skywaymyway.com/mobile.php

BBMplsMN
Nicollet Mall
Posts: 144
Joined: August 21st, 2015, 3:09 pm

Re: Minneapolis Skyway System

Postby BBMplsMN » December 28th, 2017, 9:31 am

I was hoping that one of the lasting legacies of the Super Bowl would be a new skyway signage system (or at least a refresh of what is currently in place), but it sounds like they are just going to add signs directing people towards specific venues.

http://www.startribune.com/super-bowl-p ... 6886943/#1

User avatar
VacantLuxuries
US Bank Plaza
Posts: 717
Joined: February 20th, 2015, 12:38 pm

Re: Minneapolis Skyway System

Postby VacantLuxuries » December 28th, 2017, 10:14 am

So now we find out why the billion dollar game wanted free volunteers. Because we wouldn't want to leave anything of value for people to use once it's over, would we?


Return to “Minneapolis - Downtown”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests