Uptown - LynLake - The Wedge - News & General

Calhoun-Isles, Cedar-Riverside, Longfellow, Nokomis, Phillips, Powderhorn, and Southwest
seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Re: Uptown General Topics & Development Map

Postby seanrichardryan » May 2nd, 2017, 10:46 am

Could people, I dunno, just not call things condos the way they do?
Stop using 'brownstones' too.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Postby Tiller » May 2nd, 2017, 11:55 am

I've always found that calling multifamily housing "condos" means negative connotations.

BoredAgain
Union Depot

Postby BoredAgain » May 2nd, 2017, 12:27 pm

I've always found that calling multifamily housing "condos" means negative connotations.
Probably because "Condos" are filled with more permanent degenerates that are more likely to engage with (and thus worsen) a neighborhood whereas apartments have transient degenerates which will leave eventually.

[/sarcasm]

Mooglemuffins
Nicollet Mall

Postby Mooglemuffins » May 2nd, 2017, 12:45 pm

Sacrelicio
Union Depot

Postby Sacrelicio » May 2nd, 2017, 12:54 pm

They're moving to 46th and Nicollet, apparently a bigger space. Anyone know which exact spot they're moving into?

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » May 2nd, 2017, 1:02 pm

No, but I'm now very curious. There's not a lot there right at 46th. The strip mall on the SW corner would be the only place I could think of.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » May 2nd, 2017, 1:46 pm

Google maps suggests that it's the space immediately south of (and attached to) the dollar store.

https://goo.gl/maps/vsdGApSABH62

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » May 2nd, 2017, 2:10 pm

New market rate apartments are 'Condos', new subsidized apartments are 'projects'.

Mooglemuffins
Nicollet Mall

Postby Mooglemuffins » May 2nd, 2017, 2:40 pm

They're moving to 46th and Nicollet, apparently a bigger space. Anyone know which exact spot they're moving into?
True, I'm glad they aren't closing, it's just a bummer they have to move their cool little comic shop after 40 years in the same spot.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » May 2nd, 2017, 3:13 pm

Why?

Mooglemuffins
Nicollet Mall

Postby Mooglemuffins » May 2nd, 2017, 3:56 pm

Why?
Because it's 40 years of history in that location for the guy who runs it? Sorry if you don't feel at least a little sad about it :/

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » May 2nd, 2017, 4:15 pm

I think all of the spin is weird. He's moving to a bigger place that's better for him. The neighborhood is getting housing. What are we complaining about?

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » May 2nd, 2017, 4:17 pm

Why?
Because it's 40 years of history in that location for the guy who runs it? Sorry if you don't feel at least a little sad about it :/
No. If I were a small shop owner in Minneapolis I'd know and plan for when I'd have to move or upgrade. The writing is on the wall, why wouldn't you be planning for the future? That's what everyone does for everything In their life.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » May 2nd, 2017, 4:31 pm

Why?
No. If I were a small shop owner in Minneapolis I'd know and plan for when I'd have to move or upgrade. The writing is on the wall, why wouldn't you be planning for the future? That's what everyone does for everything In their life.
While I agree that the move is fine and might be better for the business (Frankly I had no idea it was even there), no business plans to lose their lease and absorb moving costs, especially one with the slim margins of a niche comic book store.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » May 2nd, 2017, 4:37 pm

While I agree that the move is fine and might be better for the business (Frankly I had no idea it was even there), no business plans to lose their lease and absorb moving costs, especially one with the slim margins of a niche comic book store.
Then they never took business 101.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » May 2nd, 2017, 6:40 pm

The funny thing is that he recently moved (or downsized?). The entrance used to be right on the corner in the space that is now East Calhoun Cleaners. The quote is "40+ years in Uptown" not that exact spot.

QuietBlue
Target Field

Postby QuietBlue » May 2nd, 2017, 8:42 pm

Then they never took business 101.
If they had, they probably wouldn't be running a comic book store. It's a labor of love; there are much easier ways to make money.

They'll probably be fine. The move will be disruptive, and cost some money, but they seem to have a dedicated customer base that will follow them wherever they go. I don't think their success is contingent on that specific location. Plus, it's not like they're moving out of Minneapolis or anything.

The main loss will be to the neighborhood -- unique niche stores like that are part of what made Uptown interesting in the first place. Change is inevitable, of course, and I don't fault their landlord for the decision they made. But it's still a loss.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » May 2nd, 2017, 8:56 pm

^^^

+100

Chef
Landmark Center

Postby Chef » May 2nd, 2017, 9:12 pm

It is weird how so many on this forum seem to be pathologically incapable of sentimentality. Normal people aren't like that.

Mooglemuffins
Nicollet Mall

Postby Mooglemuffins » May 2nd, 2017, 10:01 pm

The main loss will be to the neighborhood -- unique niche stores like that are part of what made Uptown interesting in the first place. Change is inevitable, of course, and I don't fault their landlord for the decision they made. But it's still a loss.
Precisely! I welcome change, it's going to happen anyways. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't have a heart for some of the things that are lost in change.
It is weird how so many on this forum seem to be pathologically incapable of sentimentality. Normal people aren't like that.
I think some people here need to take a slight step back from progressprogressprogress to breathe and appreciate the human aspect for a second. Yes, it's great there will be more housing going up. Yes, it's great that he's still in business and moving somewhere. But it's still sad that the neighborhood the store was in won't have it anymore because I'm sure the guy loves what he does. Even if people can recognize that for a second that's good. It's not asking for much.