Green Line Extension - Southwest LRT

Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
David Greene
IDS Center

Re: Southwest LRT (Green Line Extension)

Postby David Greene » May 1st, 2017, 4:37 pm

The key is to *call Dayton!* He's the only one who can stop the legislature's defunding of transit, including SWLRT. Call and get your friends and family to call too.

Korh
Union Depot

Postby Korh » May 1st, 2017, 11:07 pm

with this hopefully most of the drama around SW dies down aside from a few shouts here and there from a small group of individuals. That being said funding for operating the line becomes the main issue (which might be better suited for the Minnesota Transportation Funding thread) but if I had one idea that might work is fallow Dallas' example of how they funded there light rail system and got it to grow into the biggest in the U.S. (93 miles) by having individual municipalities vote on whether or not to impose a 1 cent sales tax on themselves which could work for some cities along the current/proposed lines (I suggest cities rather than counties because 1. we know from CTIB what could go wrong 2. the individual cities can get a much a clearer idea by focusing on what its residents want.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » May 2nd, 2017, 8:55 am

with this hopefully most of the drama around SW dies down aside from a few shouts here and there from a small group of individuals.
No, this is *not* a done deal. Don't think for a minute that it is. $10 million is a long way from $500 million. We need to keep the pressure on and Dayton is the primary target now. He's considering all kinds of crazy Republican proposals and if he accepts their notion of the state not funding LRT capital or operating costs, this line and Bottineau could be sunk.
That being said funding for operating the line becomes the main issue (which might be better suited for the Minnesota Transportation Funding thread) but if I had one idea that might work is fallow Dallas' example of how they funded there light rail system and got it to grow into the biggest in the U.S. (93 miles) by having individual municipalities vote on whether or not to impose a 1 cent sales tax on themselves
See above. The problem is the legislature. The legislature has to approve such a tax, or approve a citywide referendum for such a tax and no way in hell that's going to happen with the current legislature. It's only marginally more likely with future legislatures. And then we could very well have a Republican governor...

There is no easy solution here. The tool we have is organizing. We have to put real pressure on political leaders.

LRV Op Dude
Union Depot

Postby LRV Op Dude » May 2nd, 2017, 4:32 pm

This visualization shows the design of METRO Green Line Extension passenger stations at Louisiana Avenue and Wooddale Avenue in St. Louis Park
https://youtu.be/OmxCUvuF8ho

Blog: Old-Twin Cities Transit New-Twin Cities Transit

You Tube: Old, New

AKA: Bus Driver Dude

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » May 2nd, 2017, 8:01 pm

The MNGOP legislators trying an epic Hail Mary to cripple providing mass transit in the five counties of the current CTIB.

http://www.startribune.com/republican-t ... 421087333/

It would be impossible to fund SWLRT with local funds with this.

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » May 2nd, 2017, 10:10 pm

So is this legislation, or is it the patented GOP "If you won't let me win I'll just change the rules" play?

Mooglemuffins
Nicollet Mall

Postby Mooglemuffins » May 6th, 2017, 8:58 am

So is this legislation, or is it the patented GOP "If you won't let me win I'll just change the rules" play?
The GOP still does legislation? :lol:

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » May 6th, 2017, 4:29 pm

Dayton will evoke this...

kirby96
Union Depot

Postby kirby96 » May 23rd, 2017, 9:25 pm

Trump budget will exclude funding for transit projects without 'full funding grant authority', which includes SWLRT.

I'm interested to hear the opinion of people that know more than I, but my first thought is this could be the bullet to the head. Not because I think Trump's budget will pass, but because in the back and forth that will inevitably happen, funding for 'future stuff' will take a far back seat to the urgent need to to simply save funding for existing stuff. It also seems to give ammo to state Republicans for their hard line stance.

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » May 24th, 2017, 11:46 am

There's no way we don't have a federal government shutdown over these bills, and the final budget will undoubtedly look more like the Senate bill than this. There are a lot of House Repubs sweating 2018 and no one in the Senate wants to risk their career over this bomb of a bill.

Besides, while SWLRT and transit are wedge issues in Minnesota, transit has been bipartisan in many states. There will be many Republicans nationwide who find this unacceptable.

Tom H.
US Bank Plaza

Postby Tom H. » May 31st, 2017, 7:40 am

http://m.startribune.com/southwest-ligh ... ection=%2F

Bidding delayed again. Are the stated reasons (technical challenges, bidder extension requests) legitimate, or does anyone think these delays are at least partially due to funding uncertainties?

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » May 31st, 2017, 7:50 am

Certainly could be a stalling tactic for funding, but actually I kind of doubt it. They already have a good portion of the money sitting there, and it would advance their position if they awarded some bids. These types of bids are really difficult, and if the bidders are wanting more information before they bid, it can take some effort to work through.

dajazz
Nicollet Mall

Postby dajazz » May 31st, 2017, 3:19 pm

http://m.startribune.com/southwest-ligh ... ection=%2F

Bidding delayed again. Are the stated reasons (technical challenges, bidder extension requests) legitimate, or does anyone think these delays are at least partially due to funding uncertainties?
I can't speak to the specifics of this situation but I deal with large RFPs on a daily basis and it's quite common for the initial dates to get moved back, sometimes by several months. Oftentimes the specs need to be clarified, the scope can change as items/features are added or removed, key onsite meetings will be rescheduled, etc... If a vendor contacts me requesting an extension I'll ask for specifics, then I'll contact the other vendors to determine if their is an issue with the RFP/specs or if the one vendor is in over their head or didn't start reviewing the RFP until the last possible minute.

LRV Op Dude
Union Depot

Postby LRV Op Dude » June 27th, 2017, 2:06 pm

Blog: Old-Twin Cities Transit New-Twin Cities Transit

You Tube: Old, New

AKA: Bus Driver Dude

Korh
Union Depot

Postby Korh » June 28th, 2017, 7:21 pm

did they change the plans for future development around the Shady oak station or did they just not render it (kinda fell out of the loop on t he SWLRT progress)

Anondson
IDS Center

Southwest LRT (Green Line Extension)

Postby Anondson » June 28th, 2017, 11:55 pm

These renders don’t show any of the hoped-and-planned development because the hoped development is not part of the actual SWLRT project. If it any development happens it’s private developers bringing proposals to their cities. Rendering that kind of stuff in official SWLRT material could get the project office in trouble.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » June 30th, 2017, 9:19 pm

Yet, isn't that one of the key arguments FOR the corridor (I mean, from the business side of things....selling the project)?

Tom H.
US Bank Plaza

Postby Tom H. » July 19th, 2017, 2:45 pm

http://www.swnewsmedia.com/eden_prairie ... f11de.html

Apparently Eden Prairie managed to obtain a federal grant which could allow the EP Town Center station to be built and ready by the time the line opens. This was news to me - anybody else heard this?

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » July 19th, 2017, 3:04 pm

No, but that would be awesome. That station is one of the more racially and economically diverse on the line. Lots of immigrants live nearby.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » July 19th, 2017, 5:04 pm

It always seemed like there was a plan in their back pocket to fund that station, so not at all surprised to hear this.