Roads - Rails - Sidewalks - Bikeways
mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Re: MSP Airport

Postby mattaudio » March 29th, 2017, 10:23 am

Delta and Korean Air sign joint venture
http://news.delta.com/delta-and-korean- ... artnership

How could this affect MSP?

- First, I expect MSP will see a flight to Seoul on either Delta or Korean under this JV within the next 2 to 3 years. This would take many of the connecting flows for MSP-Asia traffic that cannot be served via Delta nonstops from Seattle or Detroit. This effectively replaces and expands the function Tokyo-Narita served for decades under Northwest and Delta until the past few years.

- It sounds like this may come at the expense of our Tokyo flight, which was recently switched from Tokyo-Narita (less convenient, but with some onward connections) to Tokyo-Haneda (near the CBD). I think the only potential saving grace is this recent move to Haneda, since daytime slots for international flights are heavily restricted by the Japanese authorities and then apportioned in the US by the US DOT. Delta flies to Haneda from LAX and MSP, but flies to Narita from Atlanta, Detroit, Portland, and Seattle.

If there's a way Delta can change the Haneda slot to Atlanta, Detroit, or Seattle they may very well end the longstanding Minneapolis-Tokyo route. If they cannot change that flight, then Minneapolis may very well keep the Haneda flight since it provides one-stop service between most central and eastern U.S. cities and Tokyo's preferred airport.

SteveXC500
Nicollet Mall

Postby SteveXC500 » March 29th, 2017, 10:27 am

To my knowledge, if DL tries to swap or stop serving MSP-HND, they forfeit the slot to AA in DFW. That said, I do not recall the date through which DL must remain flying this route before being allowed to swap or discontinue.

Agree, either KE or DL will serve ICN in 2018, if not sooner. Realistically, probably in 2018 though.

I foresee DL potentially closing the Narita hub if connectivity could move to ICN with a greater JV opportunity to support connections. But, consumers still need to get to Tokyo and Haneda is a better destination airport (schedule-wise) than Narita. If, however, as of today, travelers need to connect through Narita, they are likely being pushed to SEA. However, if Haneda is the desired destination, we may be seeing connections in MSP. I have no knowledge of loads/yields on this flight, so I have that as a question also.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » March 29th, 2017, 3:46 pm

This seems like a win-win for MSP - no way is DL giving up the HND gate after the politics and fighting to get it, but an ICN flight seems likely . This essentially divides the function that used to be done solely by NRT, allowing the MSP-HND flight to almost solely serve traffic to Tokyo, while the ICN flight gives all of MSP's Fortune 500 businesses nonstop access to Seoul while also maintaining the one-stop service to most major Asian destinations that was looking likely to go away with the move from NRT to HND.

Of course, demand has to be there, but I believe MSP still has a more robust domestic connectivity network than any other DL hub except Atlanta, which means lots and lots of one-stop options from Tokyo's preferred airport through MSP, many of which would be faster than through other eastern hubs. That seems likely to be enough to support the HND flight. The ICN flight would be less certain, but if it operates in the Pacific in the way that the MSP-AMS flight operates in the Atlantic, it's probably a solid proposal as well.

It would be nice to see more/better intercontinental flights from MSP, hope this works out.

dajazz
Nicollet Mall

Postby dajazz » March 30th, 2017, 9:31 am

Korean Air is also a partner with Alaska Air, considering the bad breakup between Delta and Alaska I'm sure Delta is enjoying an opportunity to squeeze Alaska, especially at their primary hub in Seattle.

SteveXC500
Nicollet Mall

Postby SteveXC500 » May 1st, 2017, 11:13 am

Sun Country to now serve the "Turkey Tom" sandwich from Jimmy John's, for purchase, on its domestic flights.

http://www.citypages.com/restaurants/yo ... /420890393

Mooglemuffins
Nicollet Mall

Postby Mooglemuffins » May 1st, 2017, 3:55 pm

Korean Air is also a partner with Alaska Air, considering the bad breakup between Delta and Alaska I'm sure Delta is enjoying an opportunity to squeeze Alaska, especially at their primary hub in Seattle.
I flew on Korean Air when I went to Korea several years ago. Holy moly was that a comfy ride. If only all the domestic flights here in the states were so nice.

Korh
Union Depot

Postby Korh » May 1st, 2017, 10:27 pm

OK I work at a JJ's and am somewhat used to the debatable overpriced sandwiches, but 6 bucks for a Mini which is only half of a normal sandwich, you have to be kidding.

twinkess
Target Field

Postby twinkess » May 2nd, 2017, 8:11 am

We'll... it's being delivered to your seat on a chair flying through the sky. I'll give 'em a break on the price.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » May 2nd, 2017, 2:51 pm

Does it come with a side of slain elephant?

VacantLuxuries
Foshay Tower

Postby VacantLuxuries » May 2nd, 2017, 3:01 pm

I'm sure the same people who pay $15 for WiFi on a 2-3 hour flight instead of planning ahead and downloading enough entertainment to watch offline are the same ones who won't grab something to eat before getting on the plane.

kiliff75
Nicollet Mall

Postby kiliff75 » May 3rd, 2017, 6:13 am

We'll... it's being delivered to your seat on a chair flying through the sky. I'll give 'em a break on the price.
Louis C.K. has a few similar quotes: https://youtu.be/7ezouMwT__U

twinkess
Target Field

Postby twinkess » May 3rd, 2017, 10:20 am

That's probably where my brain got it from

SteveXC500
Nicollet Mall

Postby SteveXC500 » May 4th, 2017, 12:02 pm

Airport food prices seem in line or higher though.

SteveXC500
Nicollet Mall

Postby SteveXC500 » May 10th, 2017, 12:25 pm

https://www.facebook.com/suncountryair/

New, seasonal service to Aruba and Tucson, out of MSP for Sun Country. Starts Dec. 2017.

MSPtoMKE
Rice Park

Postby MSPtoMKE » May 19th, 2017, 3:38 pm

Looks like KLM will continue service through the winter, instead of ending this fall as originally planned. Service will still be less than daily, although the flight will be upgraded to a 787-9 in October. That will be the first 787 flight for MSP.
http://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopi ... #p19552721

It was nice to see Delta, Air France, and KLM together on Concourse G when I arrived back in MSP on Wednesday. Very slowly a little variety in international airlines is creeping in. It almost looked like a real International Airport ;)
My flickr photos.

uptowner
City Center

Postby uptowner » May 19th, 2017, 9:41 pm

Also, if you search the end of the schedule it appears AF will be flying a 777 next summer, which is awesome. The a340 is awful.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » May 20th, 2017, 9:03 am

I didn't think our airport/runways/jetways could handle the 777? Or is that old news?

dajazz
Nicollet Mall

Postby dajazz » May 20th, 2017, 9:22 am

I didn't think our airport/runways/jetways could handle the 777? Or is that old news?
Delta has flown 777s out of MSP for years. Only plane I can think of that would be an issue is the A380, runways wouldn't be an issue but MSP doesn't have the jetways needed to handle them.

commissioner
Nicollet Mall

Postby commissioner » May 30th, 2017, 10:21 pm

I could've sworn that when Airbus brought the 380 in to woo Northwest several years ago, it was at a gate at the Humphrey terminal.

Chauncey87
Nicollet Mall

Postby Chauncey87 » May 30th, 2017, 11:16 pm

The A380 has been here at least 3 times that I can remember. Once when Airbus brought one in to try and sell to NWA. The other two times I can remember have been British Airways LAX to LHR came here on a medical this flight came in rather late. The second one was a Lufthansa flight also I think from LAX to FRA came in around 2200 for the same reason as the BA flight. The LH flight came in on runway 30L 12R then hooked to head toward the gates of T2. Parked in front of T2 for at least an hour. The jet was massive next to all the 737's. Then went and parked closer to where Delta does works on the wide bodies. Must have left a around 0030 maybe sooner. The runways are long enough for a commercial A380 flight.