Moderation Discussion

Debugging - Report Issues - Suggestions
mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Re: Moderation Discussion

Postby mattaudio » May 20th, 2016, 10:09 am

Could someone techier than me find a way to auto-scrape photos/images inside city hall PDFs and upload them to Flickr?

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » May 20th, 2016, 10:18 am

Like, any picture that's in a pdf be extracted from the pdf? Automatically? Not sure if that's possible.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » May 20th, 2016, 10:20 am

I think the hard part would be figuring out what's an image worth extracting and what's a picture of a scanned letter or something. I'm sure there are plenty of libraries for processing PDFs, but really comes down to how much programming you want to do.

E: Here's a ton of discussion on how to do it in Python, with some links to libraries that have implemented it in other languages as well. It's doable, maybe not super easy, though in theory the Minneapolis PDFs should all be generated in the same way so should be encoded in the same way so should be able to be extracted in the same way. http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2693 ... -in-python

seanrichardryan
Capella Tower

Postby seanrichardryan » May 20th, 2016, 12:49 pm

Flickr is the pits.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » May 20th, 2016, 1:56 pm

NitroPDF has PDF to image file support. I'm sure a free or nearly free equivalent PDF authoring/editing program would have similar capabilities.

David Greene
IDS Center

Re: Forum Issues

Postby David Greene » May 8th, 2017, 8:48 am

I almost deleted my account over the weekend.

I don't know if it will still be there when people read this, but my Status/Description/Whatever was changed to "*knows* many people" by some moderator.

This is extremely hurtful.

In the past few days I made two posts referencing relationships with public officials. One such relationship went to the very core of the issue, where I tried to explain why I did not believe some very serious allegations against said public official. The second relationship was perhaps more tangential to the post but I thought it would be helpful context given what many see as an egregious city council vote. I intended to point out that the person I know is very much not in the mold of the council members supporting the action.

I actually wondered whether I should mention that relationship and even expected to maybe get a ribbing from it. In the thread where I posted.

Instead what I got was mockery that extends back throughout my entire posting history. It's a mockery that can't be undone by me and can't be effectively responded to because it is global in nature and not tied to a particular topic or thread.

This was a serious breech of trust. I've met some of you at happy hours and public meetings. What was done to me makes me not want to attend happy hours or talk to you all at public meetings, because the message I've been sent is, "we don't want you here." I feel like I've been told to leave, that my contributions, opinions, perspectives are not valued here.

I PM'd a few moderators and so far, crickets.

So I dunno. We're all broken human beings. Some of us are more acutely aware of it than others. When someone tells you you've crossed the line, you *stop.*

I have raised the issue of power dynamics and unfriendliness of this place before. The stock answer is, "it's the internet, get over it." That's victim blaming and is the equivalent of, "she was asking for it."

I have always tried to assume good faith. Like all human beings, I haven't always been successful at that. But can we please keep in mind that we're talking to fellow, vulnerable human beings here?

And please reset my status/description.

VacantLuxuries
US Bank Plaza

Postby VacantLuxuries » May 8th, 2017, 9:24 am

This is unacceptable.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » May 8th, 2017, 9:38 am

Agreed.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » May 8th, 2017, 9:39 am

Absolutely agreed. Just a petty and mean-spirited abuse of power.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » May 8th, 2017, 10:34 am

WOW. Not cool, who ever did that. To me, online moderators are best when they aren't noticeable.

David, please don't leave, you're a great part of the forums and would be missed.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » May 8th, 2017, 10:46 am

Apparently being an unrelentingly milquetoast centrist is the only way not to be passive aggressively ridiculed on this site.

seanrichardryan
Capella Tower

Postby seanrichardryan » May 8th, 2017, 11:25 am

And it mysteriously disappeared.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

jaamz
Block E

Postby jaamz » May 8th, 2017, 3:24 pm

Lol. Extremely hurtful? You can't possibly be serious.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » May 8th, 2017, 3:55 pm

We have no way of knowing what was done means to him. Why not just take him at his word?

Nathan
IDS Center

Postby Nathan » May 8th, 2017, 5:18 pm

David, I think you're a valuable contributor to this site and am happy to have neighbors add thoughtful and aware as you are. I can't speak to what was done really, it's completely inappropriate, but I appreciate you and hope this can be resolved.

NickP
Union Depot

Postby NickP » May 9th, 2017, 10:17 am

David, thank you for sharing. It takes guts to speak out like that. I am trying to do something similar with my school and it's inspiring to see other also self-advocate. Thank you again and feel free to send a message my way if you need a safe place. 👍🏽

Mooglemuffins
Nicollet Mall

Postby Mooglemuffins » May 9th, 2017, 11:12 am

Thanks for standing up against this sort of behavior. Holding moderators of online forums accountable is sometimes tricky, but I'm glad to see everyone here agrees that this sort of action should not be done to forum members.

cnelson
City Center

Postby cnelson » May 10th, 2017, 7:56 am

So a mod took the time to movie David's complaint to the "correct" thread, but couldn't be bothered to respond? Points for the most efficient way to prove his claim, I guess.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » May 10th, 2017, 1:24 pm

I moved the posts. I had nothing to to with the other thing. That doesn't mean I'm going to abdicate moderating duties entirely.

FWIW, I didn't just randomly decide to move that conversation here. I also did a bunch of merging & cleaning of the entire "Updates - Announcements - Problems - Suggestions" subforum. There were like half a dozen different threads about forum technical issues / downtime / etc. so I merged all of that into a single thread and clarified the title.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » May 14th, 2017, 8:29 pm

I took a week sabbatical from posting and I feel like that's a good break for me. I really don't want to dwell on this anymore.

Thank you to everyone who expressed support. It means a lot.

To those of you who for whatever reason didn't accept what I wrote, well, you don't get to tell other people what they should be feeling. Walk a mile, friends.

And to whomever did this, I'm sorry you haven't come forward to me or anyone else. Not because I need to hear an apology, but because it's cowardly and you've tainted the image of all of the moderators of this forum. I trust twincitizen when he says he didn't do it. I don't know how I can have the same level of respect and trust for the other moderators, because, unfortunately, this place has a history of being unwelcoming and the community not confronting that reality. I don't need to know names, but knowing that it was made clear by the people in charge that this sort of behavior is unacceptable and will be dealt with if it happens again (up to and including removal of moderation privileges) would help start to restore trust.

It's up to the moderators and/or streets.mn board to lead any such self-examination, so I'll leave it in your hands.

That's really all I have to say about this. I look forward to good conversation in other threads.

Return to “Updates - Announcements - Problems - Suggestions”